Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do unicorns forbid the touching of horns?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Provide us your headcanon reasons on why do unicorns from MLP:FiM consider others' touching their horns as taboo -- but never place NSFW answers!

Touching or covering a horn seems to cancel out magic in some circumstances. For example the crystals that grow on Shining Armor's horn block his magic, in Ponyville Confidential, Sweetie Belle kicks Rarity's horn to break her levitation spell, and in Princess Twilight, Rarity stops her own magic from going wrong by licking her hoof and touching it against her horn.

It might be considered impolite to touch another unicorn's horn (blocking their magic) without permission, in the same way you won't normally deliberately cover up a person's eyes (blocking their ability to see), or their ears (blocking their ability to hear).

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 21

My first thought would be an NSFW answer, so I won't say it. But I do agree with this post.

Touching or covering a horn seems to cancel out magic in some circumstances. For example the crystals that grow on Shining Armor's horn block his magic, in Ponyville Confidential, Sweetie Belle kicks Rarity's horn to break her levitation spell, and in Princess Twilight, Rarity stops her own magic from going wrong by licking her hoof and touching it against her horn.

It might be considered impolite to touch another unicorn's horn (blocking their magic) without permission, in the same way you won't normally deliberately cover up a person's eyes (blocking their ability to see), or their ears (blocking their ability to hear).

• Brohoof 1

Actually that is a good explanation. The touching of a unicorn's horn is blockage that can lead to disabling it. Also consider the chance of magic overload of it's contained too long. Also consider the super enhancement of two horns touching (aka the wedding of Shining Armor and Princess Candace). As for filing the the horn, it's not risking damage to magic as the horn is not active and thus has no impairment on unicorn performance.

• Brohoof 3

If they did have such a taboo, I would say it has the elements of what Vital Spark said plus, I would suggest that a unicorn horn might be very sensitive to the touch. Unicorn horns may not be made of keratin entirely and it does seem like it would need to be protected from damage, so a bit of sensitivity would be appropriate.

• Brohoof 1

As for filing the the horn, it's not risking damage to magic as the horn is not active and thus has no impairment on unicorn performance.

Putting this in human terms and using the eye/ear analogy, the stylist in a salon, or an optometrist, or an audiologist, might come into much closer contact with your eyes/ears than you'd normally expect of even close acquaintances. It's necessary for them to be able to do their job. Similarly with getting your horn filed. It's necessary contact, but it's OK because they know what they're doing.

• Brohoof 4

Putting this in human terms and using the eye/ear analogy, the stylist in a salon, or an optometrist, or an audiologist, might come into much closer contact with your eyes/ears than you'd normally expect of even close acquaintances. It's necessary for them to be able to do their job. Similarly with getting your horn filed. It's necessary contact, but it's OK because they know what they're doing.

Exactly. That's what I basically mean. Aloe and Lotus are professionals at what they do and take care to never harm a pony as they are in the field of stress relief by having a spa.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I certainly have no recollection of touching horns being a taboo in the show. Although, I do think it's a good rule of thumb (or hoof.) to not touch somepony without asking.

• Brohoof 1

Touching horns is not a taboo within the show. Heck, I recall one instance of Rainbow Dash touching Twilight Sparkle's in order to keep her from using magic.

tumblr_inline_nfz1u8Lxbg1rijp0t.png

(Note how Twilight isn't angry, just surprised. And that's because the action was rather sudden.)

The whole 'touching horns is taboo' thing came from fanfiction and fanfiction only.

• Brohoof 8

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but perhaps the truth is even worse than this.

We've seen from Twilight's little "outburst," that without proper control and restraint, Magic can be wild and unpredictable. As the horn seems to be relatively sensitive to contact when it comes to how the Magic manifests, it might be outright dangerous for two horns to touch if neither of the participants have prepared for such a thing beforehand. Assuming the Magics coming from the corresponding horns were to interact with one another, the individual's personal control may clash with that of the other, which would no doubt have a very undesirable effect. Of course, if the Unicorn/Alicorn was skilled/prepared enough to keep their Magic under check during this contact then the effect would be negated.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Edited by Sanctified Absence
  • Brohoof 2

The theory that it blocks or disrupts the flow of magical power is a very sound one, but I could also add an ethical angle in that it simply wouldn't be polite and that only certain ponies would allow others to touch their horns. In "A Canterlot Wedding", the royal couple touched their horns together in a display of affection. This means that it could also be a gesture only reserved for ponies that know each other well.

If touching horns together stops the flow of magic under normal circumstances, the touching of two horns of ponies who love each other conveys a sense of trust, and when done in a certain fashion, it could lead to the opposite effect -- two ponies combining their powers, as in the same episode when Cadance and Shining Armor aim their horns at each other to combine their powers.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 4

What about this moment from the "At the Gala" song?

500px-Rarity_and_Blueblood_%22how_gallan

Considering that's Prince Blueblood Rarity is touching horns with, at the Grand Galloping Gala, no less, I really don't think touching horns is taboo in Equestria.

...unless Rarity is thinking dirty thoughts as she's singing. ;)

Well when Sweetie Belle flicked Rarity on the horn, it both shorted out her magic and seemed to hurt. So I would imagine that, to a unicorn, it's just a very sensitive part of their body.

My headcanon is that unicorn magic works almost like another sensory organ. Why does a paper cut on your finger sting so much where a decent punch to the arm can be easily shaken off? Nerve endings! Unicorns cast spells by a similar method to which we use our hands, their brains are sending complex instructions to an organ with a large collection of nerve receptors. Almost all of us can pick up a ball, but not as many can play a piano really well or perform delicate medical procedures. Just as much, near every unicorn can levitate some item they need but not all of them can turn an apple into an orange or reverse gravity relative to themselves.

However, anyone who's closed a door or bashed a hammer on a digit can tell you . . . it hurts. So for unicorns, I would imagine the pain would be similar.

(Perhaps best depicted in It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door by Jetfire. It's almost hard to read how much pain Twilight seems to be in.) 

• Brohoof 1

never in the show or any where official have I seen it or read it to be taboo to touch horns

but a Unicorns horn most likely attaches to their brain since concentration is a key element to casting spells so my guess is it causes headaches or maybe worse if they did so

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

Um...

img-3302720-1-Celestia_and_Chrysalis_loc

img-3302720-2-Shining_Armor_and_Princess

img-3302720-3-Praise_2_S3E02.png

I don't remember it being established in the show that it was taboo.

It isn't as much that it is established as it is assumed to be taboo. Horn touching as you have shown can be a sign of affection or increased strength through togetherness as long as one's horn isn't harmed in the process. I can be a sign of respect to be put simply. But it can be bad if it were to impede on unicorn/alicorn performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just offhand, I can't recall anywhere in one of the episodes where it is explicitly stated to be forbidden.  They don't usually seem to do so except when trying to disrupt a unicorn's magic (& the unicorn acts like this is unpleasant) or in intimate moments or at the spa.

Or, sometimes when they  are trying to reinforce another's magic

There is a LOT of fan fic on this, but others have covered the reasons pretty good

If you ask me it's a sexual thing, which is funny. It's funny how the fandom comes up with the idea that "Unicorn horns are sexual" based on what exactly? I don't know.

Because they are a long appendage so that automatically makes them sexual, because people are perverts.