Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Starlight turned into FiM's Sunset?

Concerned Bystander

I think that Starlight Glimmer is more of a comparison to Twilight because they share some of the same colors, have similar names, were both the main students of princesses (Twilight was Celestia's, Starlight was Twilight's), were both reluctant in the process of reconciling with an old friend (or friends, in Twilight's case), and are unusually powerful in magic. I think that Sunburst is more like Sunset Shimmer since both have trouble dealing with magic, they also share the same colors and similar names, and then there's the fact that both were previous students (but not main students) of Princess Celestia and ending up leaving Magic School to achieve something more.

Edited by Avageibelle

We'll need to see what's going to happen in EQG4. I am not looking forward to the camping theme. I know it's a human world and all, but I am hoping Sunset Shimmer just doesn't stand there and take space. I would be down for a Mane 8, but that will never happen. I have a bias for Sunset Shimmer, and before I saw the first EQG, I though Shimmer was going to ruin the whole show, she turned out to be in my top 3 mares of all time. 

Starlight needs time to develop. But I really wish the entire season wasn't about her and Flurry Heart. The only Mane 5 cast getting episodes like crazy are Dash and Rarity... Pinkie, Fluttershy and AJ aren't being treated fairly at all. 

Sunset seems to have  fully reformed.  People think she reformed in Rainbow Rocks, I don't think she did entirely. In Friendship Games, the moment she helped SciTwi and offered her hand out in help, was when I knew Sunset Shimmer's evil was gone. 

Starlight is a long way off from being another Sunset. She still seems to be in the stage Sunset was in during the second Equestria Girls movie. It'll take her at least a season or so to be fleshed out properly like Sunset was.

Starlight is a long way off from being another Sunset. She still seems to be in the stage Sunset was in during the second Equestria Girls movie. It'll take her at least a season or so to be fleshed out properly like Sunset was.

That's kind of my point, of course there is plenty of room for Starlight Shimmer to grow and change, but at the moment she is, as you said, in the same stage that Sunset Glimmer was in in Rainbow Rocks.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, if you think they're different then great, I just wanted to see how many other people had drawn similar parallels between the two as I had (quite a few as it happens), I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to agree.

It stands to reason that fans of either S-immer will not agree that the two are basically identical, and that people who are not too keen on either will be more likely to criticise their writing or development.  I don't actively dislike either of them, I'm just not a huge enthusiast of them.