Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starlight Glimmer or Sunset Shimmer?

ManaMinori

On 4/14/2016 at 3:17 AM, Vulcan said:

Sunset shimmer, Her turn to the good side was similar to that of Zuko, memorable and sweet.

Sunset as Zuko. All that was missing in Rainbow Rocks was her asking herself why she was so bad at being good.

But to answer the question, I like both. Not much of a contest.

Edited by heavens-champion

I love both. Starlight is great in FIM, I've actually enjoyed her episodes (especially the ones with Trixie) more than many of the recent Mane 6 episodes. I've said this before but she reminds me of Twilight early in the series, though there are obviously significant differences. Many of the Mane 6 are in a completely different situation from the beginning of the series, while Starlight still has a lot of things to learn. I think she is more relatable (though that is obviously subjective). Sunset is great in Equestria Girls, and I would like to see her appear in FIM, as well – not necessarily as a main character but one making occasional appearances. So it's difficult to make a choice, but I guess I'd pick Starlight because she has already become an integral part of the show.

• Brohoof 6

l actually like them both but i like Starlight better because she has more rooms for development, she is a very flawed character and still struggle to become better pony.

Sunset is an awesome character to see on-screen but i have to admit that she doesnt have anything that i want to explore. Sunset is a very lovely character, nothing really wrong with her, but i prefer a bad person who struggle to become a good person more than an incorruptible angel kind of character.

I like Sunset because she is a very likable character. I like Starlight because she is a very relatable character. 

• Brohoof 4

9 minutes ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

@CypherHoof What exactly is Sunset's personality?

Not her backstory, her PERSONALITY.

She has none, the only thing her character has is her arc of wanting to be redeemed. Than in the 4th movie, after that arc is complete, she just kind of gets pushed to the side and SciTwi gets the focus. :okiedokieloki:

Ok, Struggling with this one, and been thinking about it for about an hour now.

The issue we have with Sunset is our limited exposure - we have the last two movies (because in RR she was largely Stereotypical Repentant Girl) and a few shorts. Of those, we do see her interacting with the other cast members, but I tend to view a lot of this though the lens of what I presume her Element to be (empathy) and while she does well supporting and assisting the other girls, our pony characters are more than just their Element, and are familiar to us so we project those same personality traits onto the rainbooms - even if they aren't well expressed or expressed at all in the movies.

So what DO we know about Sunset as a person? well, she is a good and supportive friend, and was there for SciTwi when she was overwhelmed by her stolen magic, risking herself in a similar surge to save the school and SciTwi both.  Further, in LoE she is there a LOT for SciTwi, and quite a bit for the other girls too as they struggle with their new magic powers, and only "ponies up" while trying to convince SciTwi to help the other girls against Gaia Everfree. But if you discount that as being an Elemental expression, she is kinda empty; she seems to have no life outside of school and the girls, no hobbies, no interests. She even only has a pet because she didn't want to be excluded from the pet shoot. Not sure you couldn't say the same for AJ or Pinkie though (Dashie at least has music, Flutters an animal shelter and Rarity is still fashion obsessed)

I think history has a lot to do with that though. Prior to EqG, she was ambition-obsessed - all her actions, relationships, goals - all revolved around that. Now she has shunned that and, with the help of the rainbooms, is focussed on earning the trust and respect of the other schoolgirls, not as a means to an end, but as a goal in itself. I think she is so tightly focussed on that goal, she has forgotten to actually have a life; but by interacting with the girls, she may end up having one in spite of herself anyhow :D

• Brohoof 2

Starlight has more quirks and interesting dynamics going for her, and seems to the better fleshed out character overall.

With Sunset, however, I really love how unique her background is. There's just something about the idea of a pony reinventing her life as a human, and adjusting to it amazingly well in a few years time, that really appeals to me. She also has a lot more untapped potential that I've stressed time and time again that I would absolutely hate to see be put to waste.

So both of them have their own strengths and weaknesses over the other in my eyes. I really hope that we get to see them interact more together in the EqG series; their dynamic is far too good to only be used once as well as Starlight's gorgeous human design.

• Brohoof 1

Wow... I never responded to this thread before nor did I know that it even existed. To answer the question, Sunset is my preferred character of choice because of how I am able to relate to her on a personal level. I know what it's like to be isolated from my peers and be treated as an outsider because of things I've done in the past.

However, thanks to her efforts in both "To Where and Back Again" and "Mirror Magic", I can happily say that I do like Starlight as well. Sunset will always be my go-to choice for obvious reasons yet Starlight has proven herself endearing.

• Brohoof 4

Sunset Shimmer is the more interesting character (though I still think they should have gone in a different direction for the fallen protege), but she has the the disadvantage of being locked into Equestria Girls, so it had to be Starlight Glimmer. 

2 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Sunset Shimmer is the more interesting character (though I still think they should have gone in a different direction for the fallen protege), but she has the the disadvantage of being locked into Equestria Girls, so it had to be Starlight Glimmer. 

So maybe Sunset isn't the pony the EqG wanted, but the pony they needed? :)

Starlight Glimmer for me, but not by that much. They are unique in their own way, but I feel that Starlight's friendship knowledge and magical capabilities make her better for me. I love that both of them embody the concept of second chances though. As stated by previous comments, Sunset Shimmer is a better character for the EQG universe, but Starlight fits better in the FiM universe.

• Brohoof 1

Why not choose both? Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer both had a backstory which made them go down the dark path until Twilight reformed them into brilliant characters with their loving personalities. Heck, we even saw them together in Mirror Magic which bronies dreamed of happening.

I do love reformed characters so I wouldn't want to leave one of them out.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, SoberStarlight said:

Starlight Glimmer for me, but not by that much. They are unique in their own way, but I feel that Starlight's friendship knowledge and magical capabilities make her better for me.

Not too sure that is true (not saying you can't love her for that of course). Starlight and Sunset are both unicorns; depending on setting, Sunset actually has some minor magic ability (via the geode, and her ability to pony up) while Starlight doesn't (at least, not in the EqG universe). We have no idea how powerful Sunset is ponyside, but I am guessing she would come third (and a poor third) to both Starlight and Twilight, although that still allows her to be pretty powerful compared to your average unicorn.

Sunset is also doing *way* better at friendship. She is consistently there for her friends, and despite being in EqG, has little or no life other than that friendship. Starlight, by contrast, was supposed to be devoting herself to learning about friendship and making friends - but instead, has improved her magic and not only neglected the friendship tasks, but messed up badly most times she has tried by trying to substitute magic for being a good friend.

But that's ok. You don't need a reason to love Starlight more than Sunset. If nothing else, they have wildly different personalities (Starlight tends to visibly panic if she is outside her comfort zone, which for her is basically "doing magic", and act on impulse a lot; Sunset tends to project a lot more self confidence, even if she is unsure internally, and is much more empathic with her friends. Both tend to lean on Pony Twi a LOT as a moral compass and source of advice though)

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Why not choose both?

Well, that's the point of this thread, imagine an alternative universe where you can only choose 1 of 2 plushies, Sunset or Starlight, and have to abandon one of them in the desert, what will you choose? Lol

On 11/5/2017 at 5:45 PM, Lambdadelta said:

Well, that's the point of this thread, imagine an alternative universe where you can only choose 1 of 2 plushies, Sunset or Starlight, and have to abandon one of them in the desert, what will you choose? Lol

That’s horrible... Starlight, but only cause those things are so damn rare and expensive.

Sunset, and it's not even close. Sunset has had a better reformation process that feels completely natural and is very well paced, better backstory and motivation to be a villain, a better personality, and an all around more likable character. Starlight always has to remind us that she tried to take over a village, yet no one cares anymore. Sunset on the other hand knows what she did but doesn't bring it up when she messes up, she actively tries to improve herself instead of moping around about her past, and that's one of Sunset's best qualities.

The funniest part is, is that Sunset has had significantly less time to explore her character than Starlight; and Sunset still easily comes out on top.

Starlight! Sunset’s redemption arc was awesome, (and I still think that Rainbow Rocks is the best MLP movie so far) but after that I’ve found that Sunset just isn’t particularly interesting. She’s likeable...but that’s about it. Maybe it’s due to lack of screentime. In any case, I still love her and I hope they do more with her. 

Starlight on the other hand, I find to be much more interesting. She’s a lot more complex, and she struggles a lot more with her flaws. Plus, she still has a lot more room for development, and I’m very curious as to where her character is going next. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

It's true Sunsets palette is very different from Twilight's and Starlight's. I think the show referenced the visual similarities between them somewhere - I think it was in Triple Threat episode.

I personally like Starlight much more than Sunset. But I'm also biased here cause we see Sunset mostly as a human in EqG and she's rarely embracing her unicorn nature as a result. Also I found the redemption of Sunset not really well executed. Also the one of Starlight was not perfect, but in my opinion much better. 

So I would pick Starlight here, but I have to admit that Sunset would have a big chance to better and fully explored in FiM than in EqG.

• Brohoof 1

I like both, but I'll probably give this one to Sunset. Starlight is also good and was greater as a villain, but Sunset herself was one of the strongest parts of Equestria Girls

• 2 weeks later...