Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Making a Buckball variant for humans that can't fly or use magic

weesh

I've had a few chances to playtest wacky sports and games, so it seems fun to try and create a variant that we could play in a local gym or field.

Challenges:

1. Stay as close to the show version of the game as possible to maintain the sport
  2. Fill in rules that were not explicitly stated in the episode
  3. Modify rules to turn the game from the flying 3D version to a running 2D version
  4. Provide appropriate offense/defense balance so that scoring is possible, but not easy.  

The most important thing to handle is preventing the Pegasus player from just camping the tiny basket with their body.  The unicorn probably needs the freedom to move back and forth across the field to change the angles.

Field:

One possibility is a rectangular field, so that you can have rectangular zones of play for each player.  something like this:

Unicorn A scoring zone
Pegasus B Defensive zone

Earthpony B offensive zone
Earthpony A Offensive zone

Pegasus A Defensive zone

Unicorn B scoring zone

Alternatively, we could put less restrictions on where a player can stand, and allow the 

unicorns to run forward as well as sideways.  but that seems like a big challenge to balance.

And other ideas?

Hands and Feet:

It seems VERY challenging for a defensive player to kick the ball to their offensive player, and then for the offensive player to kick it past two opposing players to get to the scoring zone.  This level of challenge also creates a high barrier to entry, I think the Pegasus and unicorn players need to be able to use their hands in a controlled fashion. they need to be able to catch and aim throws.  

But arcing the ball over the non-flying defender to the Unicorn may lead to casually scoring easy points.  We might need a rule about keeping the ball low, or being forced to bounce the ball if you need it to go high.  

its possible that the earthpony needs to be prohibited from defending, as they can be very close to the opposing earthpony

And other ideas?

Game Start:

Two people kicking at each other seems to add an element of danger to an otherwise soft and accessible sport.

I think we need a better start to the first round.

And ideas?

Game End:

The game didn't seem to be timed, and it ended at 6 points.  perhaps if the game is more or less offensive, this could be the wrong number

Honestly, it could just be a lost cause!  But i hope I'm wrong, and your creativity could provide the key to unlocking the sport.
The bucket player basically fills the role of a cherry-picker in ultimate frisbee, the game doesn't seem terribly multidimensional.  However, it has one very important things that ultimate doesn't: it's based on MLP, and the flavor of the game could make it fun for a small number of iterations.  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

I could maybe picture a Paralympic version of the game with people with different disabilities filling in certain roles based on level of disability. Though I would not know the specifics as I am horrible in sports. Sorry.  

If you haven't seen "murderball", the documentary about wheelchair rugby, you should.  

I'd think of it as basically a modified version of team handball (the European/Olympic game, not the North American one), except you put the goal in one player's hands instead of on the ground and have them move around inside a demarcated zone.

Handball itself is pretty exciting and underrated as an Olympic sport.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I'd think of it as basically a modified version of team handball (the European/Olympic game, not the North American one), except you put the goal in one player's hands instead of on the ground and have them move around inside a demarcated zone.

Handball itself is pretty exciting and underrated as an Olympic sport.

that's a pretty solid idea.  also, a handball seems like the ideal size/shape/weight for a human buckball.  Handball also has similar defensive zones that only the goalie/pegasus can enter.  

makes me think of a circular court with concentric zones.  the central zone could be for the earth ponies, the middle zone would be for the pegasus defenders, and the outer ring would be for the unicorns with the buckets.

the question would then be: is there anything that makes this game better than handball?

I agree that handball is a fantastically fun sport to watch.  Its possible that the circular court and moving goals make the game severely unique and interesting.  

the question would then be: is there anything that makes this game better than handball?

I agree that handball is a fantastically fun sport to watch.  Its possible that the circular court and moving goals make the game severely unique and interesting.  

The moving goals add a whole new element to the game, for sure. Being on a possibly smaller court with a smaller number of players could make for faster action. If the goals were stationary, scoring would be more frequent, thus moving goals makes points more of a premium. It could, in some ways, be a smaller, faster variation of handball the same way rugby sevens and arena football are compact versions of rugby union and American football respectively.

The point of unicorns holding the baskets is because they can hold onto something without hands. Humans would just hold onto the baskets with their hands to try and catch the ball. The buckers (earth pony) would be humans using their feet and maybe other parts like head to get the ball into the baskets and there could be the pegasus or people blocking the ball from entering the basket.

If you want to make it some kind of unification of sorts you can take a soccer player to be the buckers, baseball player be the catchers, and the blockers be basketball players or hockey goalies I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

Field:

I would say keep the circular field. There is a Play Area with a five meter radius. Outside of this, there is a loop, the scoring area, two meters wide. An offsides line separates the field in half.

Notes: The only concern here is that a score attempt could be made between a Forward in one corner of the play area, and the Goalkeeper in the catercorner part of the scoring area. But this is balanced, because it leaves a very low attack surface for the opposing Guard to cover.

Equipment:

A ball, probably a soccer ball. A volleyball may also work. Either a true basket on a pole, or a fishing net on a pole would work for me. My concern with a basket would be that it may be a challenge to keep the ball from bouncing out, although that may be desirable for those looking for a challenge. I say to keep it on a pole in order to mimic a Unicorn's ability to move the bucket at will.

Players:

At the most minimal, a Forward, who is tasked with scoring. A Guard, who prevents scoring. A Goalkeeper, who manages the goal bucket in order to ensure scoring.

Notes: I sense the field could be expanded, and more players added. In much the same way there are types of Rugby based on player count, it's possible this could happen with Buckball.

Play:

The Forwards and Guards stand in their team's half of the play area, while the Goalkeepers stand in the opposite half of the scoring area. At the start of play, the two Forwards stand facing each other across the offsides line. A Referee tosses the ball into the air between them, and they attempt to strike the ball, with any part of their body, either towards their defender, who can set up a play, or towards their Goalkeeper, in the opposite scoring area. When a Forward attempts to score, the opposing team's Guard attempts to block, while the Goalkeeper attempts to catch the score attempt in the bucket. If a score is made, a point is awarded. The ball will then be given to the opposing team's guard, who will strike the ball toward their Forward, who will attempt to score. If the attempt is blocked, the ball is considered still in play, and the Guard will then strike the ball toward the Forward, who will attempt to score. A ball that lands on the ground is dead, and possession passes to the opposite team of the player that last touched it. Therefore, if a score attempt misses and lands on the ground, it will pass to the other team's Guard, but if the Guard blocks the attempt, and fails to recover, then it will go back to the attempting team. This continues until one team earns six points, at which point, they win.

Notes: It's worth noting that a Guard could move right up to the offsides line to block a score attempt. This would be balanced by the fact that a properly angled attempt that got past the Guard would be an almost guaranteed score. Allowing any part of the body reflects the fact that Pinkie's playstyle was not prohibited.

Penalties: 

Juggling - A Guard may only strike the ball twice in succession per possession before it must be struck by the Forward. That is, after blocking an attempt, the Guard may only strike the ball once more, to set up a play for the Forward. A Forward may strike the ball only once per possession. Any more strikes from either player per possession constitutes juggling, and will result in forfeiture of possession. A Forward also may not strike the ball towards their own guard, nor may a guard touch the ball once their Forward has touched it. If there are more than one Guard, each may only strike the ball once.

Holding - Guards and Forwards may not hold a live ball. Doing so constitutes holding, and will result in forfeiture of possession.

Offsides - Forwards may not cross the offsides line before striking the ball, nor may the Goalkeeper enter the play area at any time in attempting to secure a score. If the forward steps over the offsides line before striking the ball, or the Goalkeeper steps into the play area before catching the ball, it constitutes an offsides penalty, and results in forfeiture of possession. Any score earned is invalid.

Illegal Formation - Guards may not attempt to score. This is an illegal formation, and results in forfeiture of possession. Any score earned is invalid.

Out of Bounds - Goalkeepers may not leave the outer lines of the court. If they step out of the court before catching the ball, it is out of bounds. Any score earned is invalid.

Goal Tending - Guards may not leave the play area, nor may a Forward attempt to block. If a Guard leaves the scoring area before blocking an attempt or a Forward successfully blocks an attempt, it is goal tending, and a point is awarded to the opposing team, even if the opposing team committed an offsides and/or out of bounds penalty.

Foul - Pushing, shoving, checking, or otherwise touching opposing players, beyond incidental contact, is expressly forbidden, as is intentionally aiming strikes at opposing players. Intentional or excessive contact or fouling will result in a free attempt at scoring. Minor infractions will result in a Yellow Card. Major infractions, or two Yellow Cards, will result in a Red Card, and expulsion from the game, as well as further penalties determined by the referee, depending on the severity of the foul. If a team does not have enough players in reserve to fill each position, they will forfeit the match.

Notes: Restricting the Goalkeeper to the scoring area creates a tradeoff for lobbed attempts, since the higher the angle, the more difficult it is to plan an accurate trajectory, especially when striking the ball rather than throwing. The Juggling rule prevents stalling. I particularly prefer the Holding rule, as the play in Buckball Season seems centered around striking. Finally, a more detailed rulebook would likely dictate that a referee attempting to tell whether a striking foul or goal tending has occurred when a ball hitting a Forward prevents a goal, is whether the Forward moved into a space the ball could be realistically expected to go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sport I've concocted here has a lot more in common with beach volleyball instead of handball, but I feel like that's what we see in the episode proper, right down to the first-to-X format of the scoring. If the ball can be kept in play, the pacing would actually be rather blistering, and there would be a number of skill tests, as well as coordination, and decision points to keep things interesting.

• Brohoof 2

stuff

seems like a really high skill variant...

i bet it would be fascinating to watch experienced players go at it.  I like that you made the ball control really tough, but also made the catching easier with the pole.