Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler (Spoiler) The Throne Origins?

SunsetBaconDrive

Had to make the title as vague as possible to avoid spoilers for people who regularly follow the televised broadcast. 

Is Chrysalis's throne made from some special Tarturus material? If this over powered object can halt a being like Discord, it has to have some deep lore that we know nothing of yet. How do you think the changelings got this? You think this throne was passed from changeling mother to daughter over generations?

Edited by JonasDarkmane

Had to make the title as vague as possible to avoid spoilers for people who regularly follow the televised broadcast.

Hey there :) 

I have gone ahead and added a spoiler tag to your topic to insure that people will not receive any spoilers if they wish none ;) 

If it wasn't for the Comic's origin of the changelings, I'd like to assume that the Throne is an artifact leftover from whatever event created them, like a meteor or something that fell from the skies or whatnot.

Unfortunately, we know the changelings were born from a tree, and that's clearly a rock, not wood. Or even petrified wood :/

If it wasn't for the Comic's origin of the changelings, I'd like to assume that the Throne is an artifact leftover from whatever event created them, like a meteor or something that fell from the skies or whatnot.

Unfortunately, we know the changelings were born from a tree, and that's clearly a rock, not wood. Or even petrified wood :/

The comic origin killed me... And I know Anderson  and Cook can do better.

The rock of disharmony, Anti tree of harmony, it created the greatest menace in the history of Equestria.

Tom.

In all seriousness, I would love it if this rock, the alicorn amulet, and the inspiration manifestation spell were all created by one true evil entity, some sort of dark god like being who surpasses even discord (the canon most powerful character)

The comic origin killed me... And I know Anderson  and Cook can do better.

I didn't mind the comic origin that much in a bubble, but with the Throne being introduced, I feel their origin should have been something different in order to incorporate the throne somehow.

I didn't mind the comic origin that much in a bubble, but with the Throne being introduced, I feel their origin should have been something different in order to incorporate the throne somehow.

I have a theory that the throne is a symbol that the changeling used to rule what we call Equestria now. Maybe before the three pony races got together and formed Equestria.....Maybe the most powerful races were changelings and griffons.

Didn't the changeling come from outside of Equestria though? Chrysalis did say that she'd never seen a place with so much love, or something along those lines. I don't read the comics, so what I know is from the show, and I like to think of them as a people who had to flee from their homeland (like the ponies), searching for a safer place.

The throne might have come from their homeland, and that could portend a threat from outside of Equestria. Heck, Chrysalis might even be the one to warn the others, joining arms to defeat or repel it. Redemption might or might not come afterwads... I'd say no, she'd then make one or two attempts, but would end up realising the futlity of her actions, with more and more of her subjects going to Thorax, and... Um, am I getting sidetracked here?

Anyway, I also liked the theory that 'something' must have created the alicorn amulet and so on. It's almost paving the way for a big bad to show up - maybe in an armor fitted with shards of that same rock the throne is made in, rendering them insensitive to magic! Or... an army of magic immune soldiers :blink:

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 1

The throne was a cheap ass pull that raised many questions. The idea for it was fine, and it allowed for an interesting story to happen, but they could've done it better.

Not to mention that they could've come up with something else instead of a throne and used it to kill two flies in one hit by explaining how the alicorns were captured. Heck, why not have Chrysalis say the following line to her drones at the Friendship Toy Castle:

"It took us a long time to find the darkstone staff, but thanks to it, the ponies were unable to stop us!"

Then have Thorax explain that it is an artifact that nullifies non-changeling magic in a large area around it and that he thought Chrysalis had given up looking for it. There we have it: an explanation with a nice bit of foreshadowing and mystery that also tells us what the changelings were doing after Canterlot Wedding.

The comic origin killed me... And I know Anderson and Cook can do better.

The comic origin story is weird, but kind of cool in my opinion. What exactly bothers you so much about it? Edited by Professional Horse
  • Brohoof 1

The throne was a cheap ass pull that raised many questions. The idea for it was fine, and it allowed for an interesting story to happen, but they could've done it better.

Not to mention that they could've come up with something else instead of a throne and used it to kill two flies in one hit by explaining how the alicorns were captured. Heck, why not have Chrysalis say the following line to her drones at the Friendship Toy Castle:

"It took us a long time to find the darkstone staff, but thanks to it, the ponies were unable to stop us!"

Then have Thorax explain that it is an artifact that nullifies non-changeling magic in a large area around it and that he thought Chrysalis had given up looking for it. There we have it: an explanation with a nice bit of foreshadowing and mystery that also tells us what the changelings were doing after Canterlot Wedding.

The comic origin story is weird, but kind of cool in my opinion. What exactly bothers you so much about it?

Either way, The season 6 finale was as underwhelming as the season 6 premiere.

I felt that Chrysalis' throne was just a cheap-ass way to pull off kidnapping the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony in the middle of the night to clear the way for her second attempt to invade Equestria so easily. Not to mention how since it was dark magic in the first place, all that love energy given willingly was too much for it and caused it to overload and explode, inevitable destroying its Anti-Magic field and the debris freeing the cocoons containing everyone so they could retaliate once Chrysalis was revealed to still be very much alive.

Using a Power Nullifying object like that is just a cheap way to remove the Mane Cast from the picture so the secondary characters can have some time in the spotlight, and show the Princesses to be useless again!

• Brohoof 1

I felt that Chrysalis' throne was just a cheap-ass way to pull off kidnapping the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony in the middle of the night to clear the way for her second attempt to invade Equestria so easily. Not to mention how since it was dark magic in the first place, all that love energy given willingly was too much for it and caused it to overload and explode, inevitable destroying its Anti-Magic field and the debris freeing the cocoons containing everyone so they could retaliate once Chrysalis was revealed to still be very much alive.

Using a Power Nullifying object like that is just a cheap way to remove the Mane Cast from the picture so the secondary characters can have some time in the spotlight, and show the Princesses to be useless again!

Sure hope Meghan McCarthy comes back. The newbies need some assistance.

Sure hope Meghan McCarthy comes back. The newbies need some assistance.

Once the movie's done, I'm sure Meghan will return to retake the controls and give the Brony Community what we want with an episode centered on the Princesses and not having them be shown to be useless again in the face of a large threat to Equestria because the villain had some sort of plot device to take them out of the picture again so early in the two-part episode.

Every show has that "OP Item" we should really just accept it as a common trope.

Harry Potter= Deathly Hallows 

Lord of the Rings=The One Ring 

Sonic=Chaos Emeralds

Mario=The Star power up

Transformers=The Matrix 

Star Wars=The Force which is above everything.

You get the idea.

• Brohoof 1

Every show has that "OP Item" we should really just accept it as a common trope.

Harry Potter= Deathly Hallows 

Lord of the Rings=The One Ring 

Sonic=Chaos Emeralds

Mario=The Star power up

Transformers=The Matrix 

Star Wars=The Force which is above everything.

You get the idea.

Still, it was still a cheap-ass way to allow Starlight, Trixie, and Discord to be the focus of the episode, with Thorax being the one who inevitably saves the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony when he takes Starlight's advice to heart, and that leads to the Changelings rounding on Chrysalis and siding with the good guys.

I'm really getting pissed at how they are treating the Royal Family lately...

Still, it was still a cheap-ass way to allow Starlight, Trixie, and Discord to be the focus of the episode, with Thorax being the one who inevitably saves the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony when he takes Starlight's advice to heart, and that leads to the Changelings rounding on Chrysalis and siding with the good guys.

I'm really getting pissed at how they are treating the Royal Family lately...

I am making an educated and logical guess that DHX originally wanted the first THREE parter finale, but Hasbro said no. So the staff decided to take a huge risk and just focus on Starlight, Trixie and Discord instead. 

I am making an educated and logical guess that DHX originally wanted the first THREE parter finale, but Hasbro said no. So the staff decided to take a huge risk and just focus on Starlight, Trixie and Discord instead. 

If Hasbro had agreed to it, then we could have seen how the Royal Family and Elements of Harmony were kidnapped, and how they were freed from the cocoons when Chrysalis' throne was destroyed, along with its Anti-Magic field. Kind of a shame it did not work out like that...

If Hasbro had agreed to it, then we could have seen how the Royal Family and Elements of Harmony were kidnapped, and how they were freed from the cocoons when Chrysalis' throne was destroyed, along with its Anti-Magic field. Kind of a shame it did not work out like that...

I allowed Rainbow Dash being captured much to my dismay. But keep in mind people complained about Twilight's friends being useless in the season 4 finale. So you can't please everyone. Rainbow Dash is the fastest thing in Equestria, until Chrysalis sends a few changelings lol.

I allowed Rainbow Dash being captured much to my dismay. But keep in mind people complained about Twilight's friends being useless in the season 4 finale. So you can't please everyone. Rainbow Dash is the fastest thing in Equestria, until Chrysalis sends a few changelings lol.

Okay, I'll admit that Rainbow Dash being captured because the Changelings were faster and could use magic slide, but I'm still convinced they went after them when it was dark, they were asleep, and the Royal Guard was minimal in their patrols in Canterlot and the Crystal Empire.

MY thought exactly. the throne explanation came up and i'm like "How convenient" and of course at the end they OF COURS in mlp fashion wrap it up in five minutes -_- Shows that run on an 45 minute episode wrap up better then that

Edited by BlinkZ

Okay, I'll admit that Rainbow Dash being captured because the Changelings were faster and could use magic slide, but I'm still convinced they went after them when it was dark, they were asleep, and the Royal Guard was minimal in their patrols in Canterlot and the Crystal Empire.

Yeah, or even simpler... "Hello, are you Rainbow Dash? I'm a fan of yours! I've always wanted to meet you, this is incredible!"

And once she's dropped her guard (pretty easy), jump on her, subdue her and tadaa! Rinse and repeat for the other ponies, adapting the method accordingly. Too bad they didn't show at least one capture, but that would have instantly spoiled the mystery...

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, or even simpler... "Hello, are you Rainbow Dash? I'm a fan of yours! I've always wanted to meet you, this is incredible!"

And once she's dropped her guard (pretty easy), jump on her, subdue her and tadaa! Rinse and repeat for the other ponies, adapting the method accordingly. Too bad they didn't show at least one capture, but that would have instantly spoiled the mystery...

Yeah, but it would have been worth it to find out instead of giving the Brony Community more head-canon fuel and fan fiction ideas to work with.

MY thought exactly. the throne expleantio came up and i'm like "How convenient" and of course at the end they OF COURS in mlp fasion wrap it up in five minutes -_- Shows that run on an 45 minute episode wrap up better then that

Yeah, should have made this a three-part finale so we could see how the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony were captured and cocooned, and when Chrysalis' throne blew, how the cocoons fell and burst open once the ceiling where they were attached to went with the blast.

• Brohoof 1

Still, it was still a cheap-ass way to allow Starlight, Trixie, and Discord to be the focus of the episode, with Thorax being the one who inevitably saves the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony when he takes Starlight's advice to heart, and that leads to the Changelings rounding on Chrysalis and siding with the good guys. I'm really getting pissed at how they are treating the Royal Family lately...

I'll admit, I've just gotten used to accepting that they've been stuffing Celestia as a background pony rather than playing much of a role in these finales and such.  Celestia, previously played some sort of different role with her gambits and risky moves. But more and more over the past seasons, I've just started to realize and accept that the writers don't really have a clue on how to bring her back into relevancy.

I agree that I think they haven't really been utilizing the royal families very well over these past seasons.

I kind of wanted to say that Chyrsalis actually sent her best competent spies to play their part of fooling the alicorns into a trap in order to be kidnapped, but the one assigned to kidnap the mane cast don't exactly give me the impression of the best spies (although they seem to be at least above average for a changeling spy).

The whole thing about the anti-magic throne, sure it's an all-too convenient device, but in the context of where magic in this show has little rules, it's unfortunately not really surprising to me anymore. At the same time, I see it as necessary because after all, they have Discord on their side. Literally we need something to actually stop Discord from resolving the whole situation within 10 seconds because he can bend the whole fabric of reality to his whim. There was actually a purposeful limitation put in to prevent Discord from finishing this series finale in 10 seconds flat, but also still kept him in for necessary measure because it would be assumed that he he can (now after post Tirek situation) be counted on as a potential ally.

And what I actually like is that Celestia's actually reasonable contingency plan was playing off (with reasonable limits, even if it's a bit of an pulled out of thin air device), 

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, but it would have been worth it to find out instead of giving the Brony Community more head-canon fuel and fan fiction ideas to work with.

Yeah, should have made this a three-part finale so we could see how the Royal Family and the Elements of Harmony were captured and cocooned, and when Chrysalis' throne blew, how the cocoons fell and burst open once the ceiling where they were attached to went with the blast.

I mean greanted they needed someway to nerf discord but still kind of way too convenient. I mean Power Rangers levels of convenient

almost as bad as "oh the teleporters aren't working cause X reason don't question it"