Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does pony merch need to evolve to digital?

ManaMinori

With infants and tweens growing up using technology, I wonder if combing little ponies hair and pretend play is enough to keep the youngn's interested for long, like endless hours on a phone or tablet can. Should pony in the pink aisle start crawling out of the analog age, and adapt to the tech of 2016?

How do you think this should be done, and still reasonably priced, if so?

One idea I had was incorporating the ever popular pony maker into future toys- like having a tiny touch screen on a pony's flank, to tap and scroll through a preset selection of cutie marks, for starters. (Maybe more suited for the Fashion Style line of brushables)

Or maybe a "Pony Pal" line of brushables that could be registered (one time only- for security) on an adult's phone, attach to a kid's bag to act as a tracker for that kid, for the worried parents to know where they are at all time? (Additional incentive for the kid to keep the pony on their person- a QR code on the hoof to scan daily and access rewards on a partner app? Or a step counter that they can trade steps for prizes on an app?)

Or a brushable with a "Cutie Map Meetup" QR code on it, that, when scanned, acts like Google Maps to give locations of trusted mlp meetup groups for the kid to get together with, in certain areas? (I'd love to see like Hasbro sponsored pony event meetup/ hotspots being held at official businesses, like Barnes N Noble (like they do for certain authors), Chuck E Cheese, etc. Or Hot Topic for older pony fans)

Thoughts on more tech related pony toys for the marelinnials?

The only drawback that I see is that you wouldn't able to physically hold the MLP merchandise if it were to become digital. Granted, some of it would be better were it to embrace the current technology, yet others benefit from being able to have it in person and not consist of a bunch of data.

No the whole point is to comb the damn thing. Thats what its for. I literally spend hours sometimes doing it, it's relaxing. So I'm sure a kid wouldn't mind it. I would like a virtual pony app for my phone instead of having a pocket pony because when asked why my pocket is so full I say I have a lot of change and my car keys. But no, the plastic ponies must stay.

No. Why should it? Hasbro is a toy making company.

Kids still have imagination believe it or not. I've seen quite a few kids over the years make up stories with their toys or just play pretend,just as many of us did.

Why try to take that away? It's a wonderful thing.

Remember, the toys are manufactured For Kids first and toy collectors are a nice second paycheck.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

The only drawback that I see is that you wouldn't able to physically hold the MLP merchandise if it were to become digital. Granted, some of it would be better were it to embrace the current technology, yet others benefit from being able to have it in person and not consist of a bunch of data.

did you even read the op? The ponies would still be able to be held and brushed. They would just have multiple functions

No the whole point is to comb the damn thing. Thats what its for. I literally spend hours sometimes doing it, it's relaxing. So I'm sure a kid wouldn't mind it. I would like a virtual pony app for my phone instead of having a pocket pony because when asked why my pocket is so full I say I have a lot of change and my car keys. But no, the plastic ponies must stay.

sigh

Again. Read the op. The plastic ponies would still exist. They would just have tracking software or QRe codes on them to access digital tech

did you even read the op? The ponies would still be able to be held and brushed. They would just have multiple functions

Multiple functions? Okay, that sounds a lot better than I initially assumed. I think I did misread what you said originally so I apologize for that. If said functions would benefit children and make their parents assured that they were okay using them, then I'm all in for something like that to happen.

I nearly made the same mistake, only catching myself due to reading the other posts.

Sure, the toys wont keep the user's attention forever.... but by the time they get bored, there will be more kids along who'll want them, which suits Hasbro just fine, so there's no real need to add digital elements to the toys.

Doing so would also cause other issues, cost being one that you mentioned, but also durability- kids do break toys, and whilst they can be repaired, if there's digital elements then the damage can more easily be more permanent. Current tech levels would also make some things, like the changeable cutie marks, exceedingly difficult without spoiling the aesthetics of the toy in question.

That said.... future developments would no doubt allow toy manufacturers to bypass such issues, at which point I fully expect to see such digital elements implemented, and indeed there will be a great many improvements that can be made to the toys, some of which may even increase popularity with adults.

Note that I'm not focusing on QR code elements- that's because they are, imo, fairly boring, and I'm not sure what the child would get out of it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

If there's any digital stuff to be put into the existing toys, I'd like to see digital eyes, like what the newer Furby's have.

But otherwise, I don't think "going digital" is needed...Plus It'd be a bit too costly for a $4-5 toy. Mattel did a similar thing with a Hot Wheel line that had a screen on the underside of the car that showed the speed/distance etc of the car..I don't think they're in production anymore.

Then there's also the need of batteries..most would probably use button cell batteries....and they can be a bit pricey...especially when cost of a new toy is cheaper than the battery itself..

• Brohoof 1

No. Why should it? Hasbro is a toy making company.

Kids still have imagination believe it or not. I've seen quite a few kids over the years make up stories with their toys or just play pretend,just as many of us did.

Why try to take that away? It's a wonderful thing.

Remember, the toys are manufactured For Kids first and toy collectors are a nice second paycheck.

bo one said they would have to stop making the toys. I know they're a toy company, but they could upgrade the toys to have digital aspects