Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the EQG movies worth watching?

Tilgoreth

It's up to you. In my opinion you can watch it. It's not too bad but if you just move on to season 4 you'd nothing lose too.

Yeah just watched the first one. And watching the first two season 4 episodes I can definitely tell that I wouldn't have missed out on anything if I just skipped it.

To throw out a dissenting opinion here, I do not think they are worth watching.

IMO, they are simply not well-written. Their plots are incredibly contrived, and their climaxes always descend into one big magic hoopla where anything goes, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. In fact, if you watch them, the first thing you need to understand is that magic in the series can basically do anything, and has no limits or restrictions whatsoever. It does whatever the plot needs it to do. 

The films utterly fail at juggling seven main characters, and as such, I do think that the humane five qualify as main characters at all. All development in these films go towards advancing Twilight and Sunset Shimmer, and the rest of them receive none of it. They are mostly just around to fill space. 

On top of all this, the films are not even remotely relevant to the show. They exist in their own little isolated bubbles, and the events of the films are never referenced anywhere in the show, nor is there even the slightest indication that they are even canon to it. You will miss absolutely nothing in the show if you were to skip them. 

Others will tell you that Sunset Shimmer alone makes the films worth it. Honestly, yes, Sunset is the only thing that the films have going for them. However, if you're like most other Sunset fans, all she'Wwws going to do is make you want her to appear in the show, and it's very unlikely that it's ever going to happen. 

Just my opinion.

To throw out a dissenting opinion here, I do not think they are worth watching.

IMO, they are simply not well-written. Their plots are incredibly contrived, and their climaxes always descend into one big magic hoopla where anything goes, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. In fact, if you watch them, the first thing you need to understand is that magic in the series can basically do anything, and has no limits or restrictions whatsoever. It does whatever the plot needs it to do. 

The films utterly fail at juggling seven main characters, and as such, I do think that the humane five qualify as main characters at all. All development in these films go towards advancing Twilight and Sunset Shimmer, and the rest of them receive none of it. They are mostly just around to fill space. 

On top of all this, the films are not even remotely relevant to the show. They exist in their own little isolated bubbles, and the events of the films are never referenced anywhere in the show, nor is there even the slightest indication that they are even canon to it. You will miss absolutely nothing in the show if you were to skip them. 

Others will tell you that Sunset Shimmer alone makes the films worth it. Honestly, yes, Sunset is the only thing that the films have going for them. However, if you're like most other Sunset fans, all she's going to do is make you want her to appear in the show, and it's very unlikely that it's ever going to happen. 

Just my opinion.

Yeah just watched the first one. I can see what your saying. I may not watch the rest.

The first movie sucked.

The second was awesome (songs and all), aside from my bias against humanized ponies. :eww:

The third I have not seen yet. I haven't built up the motivation to see it.

The fourth I am more intrigued, but I have yet to see it.

Cons:

• Overall, the writing seems rather lackluster, at best.
  • The plots take forever to advance.
  • They lack the magical and fantasy feeling that the main show has.
  • They lack cute ponies. Ponies >>> humans.

Pros:

• RR had awesome music.
  • The villain scenes were epic. Especially the second movie.
Edited by ElementalFluttershee
  • Brohoof 1

The first movie sucked.

The second was awesome (songs and all), aside from my bias against humanized ponies. :eww:

The third I have not seen yet. I haven't built up the motivation to see it.

The fourth I am more intrigued, but I have yet to see it.

Cons:

• Overall, the writing seems rather lackluster, at best.
  • The plots take forever to advance.
  • They lack the magical and fantasy feeling that the main show has.
  • They lack cute ponies. Ponies >>> humans.

Pros:

• RR had awesome music.
  • The villain scenes were epic. Especially the second movie.
Thanks for replying. This has me interested in the second movie now.

Thanks for replying. This has me interested in the second movie now.

No problem! I don't consider myself an EQG fan by any means, but I did find them rather entertaining if you have nothing else to watch. But the second one was pretty epic, I have to admit. :P

Some are on the camp that they loooove the series; others hate it; while others are neutral about it. I am rather neutral. xD

First movie is kinda cute but far from great. Second is fantastic, and the third is a lot of fun as well. The fourth one is a total disaster, so don't watch it unless you're already invested.

I love Equestria Girls series, where the first one was the best in my opinion.

To be honest I started the whole pony adventure from the first EQG movie. After that I got curious and gave original MLP a try, so if not EQG, there is a chance, that I wouldn't be where I am now.

I think the style makes those girls still cute as in pony form, so I can't really complain there.

I loved these movies so much, that I watched the first one and Rainbow Rocks more than 10 times each within a month.  :wub:

Songs are really nice and the plot is as simple as needed, very much like in the original one, so it's really enjoyable to watch.

As for Friendship Games... I was truly disappointed by that one. Starting from disliking -spoiler- and the songs, that was an extremely boring movie in my opinion, with 0 'replayability'. I just disliked the whole theme with thousands of plotholes and irrational things. I know it was supposed to be magical and stuff, but science went too far there.

uh, I'm getting offtopic, sorries.  :twi:

What I want to say is, that personally I loved these movies, so I think they're worth watching, even if science goes too far.

Anyway I don't see why you shouldn't at least give them a try. You'll not lose anything if you'll dislike them or something.  ;)

Edited by Rikifive