gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

Yeah, Classic Mode is a lot more varied than the repetitive dull Classic Mode of Brawl. Thank goodness, because as far as I can tell that's how you unlock all of the characters.

Now that I have the game, I have to praise it for the amount of new and varied characters (even though I don't agree with some of the choices), but I'm afraid the game feels rather empty aside from that. It's not the lack of a SSE that I'm talking about... But instead the lack of a plain Adventure Mode, Event Matches, etc. I'm sure they'll all appear on the Wii U version, but the game still feels too sparse here... Especially when all of the characters are unlocked through one method.

The small screen is also very strange for SSB play. The controls are awkward too. =/ It's great to have SSB on a portable system, but it just doesn't feel right. =(

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Alright, so, I've had time today to play Smash 3DS for about 2 hours now today, initial impressions:

-Playing on 3DS is... odd. Not as bad as you'd think, but weird- dash-dancing is very difficult to do and probably not worth it, for example. Especially after playing Melee and Brawl with a Gamecube controller for years. I'm getting the hang of it though.

-The game looks better in 2D than it does in 3D. Still, I haven't seen a 3DS game run that well in 3D since A Link Between Worlds, but the visual quality is noticably better if ya just leave it off.

-The game feels much more like Brawl than Melee. It's certainly a lot snappier though, it has its own feel overall but it's certainly closer to Brawl.

-The new characters all feel great. Can't pick a favorite! And the veterans all feel better from the one's I've played, the playing field will certainly be more even this time around.

So, yeah, it's definitely a great Smash Bros. game. I think it'll take some getting used to for everyone to enjoy though. :):wacko:

Okay, I managed to unlock Ness and Falco but I failed to unlock Dark Pit. Seriously, Greninja sped off the cliff. He's fast and agile but can't really hit that hard.

Also, what level is the AI set in the unlockable fight? Cause it feels pretty high.

Okay, impressions on the game so far:

Still getting used to the 3DS controls. Getting a bit better.

I was mainly playing classic mode to unlock characters. I'm not gonna spoil who some of these are, but there some things Nintendo just didn't say.

I was experimenting with some of the newcomers. Greninja seems to be fast and agile but can't really hit that hard. Little Mac doesn't jump high but is great for combos.

Is it me, or did they make Master Hand's AI a bit harder in this game?

Also, there's an option in classic mode to fight both Master Hand and Crazy hand at the same time. That is so brilliant yet even harder.

I'm not very good with Pac Man. His controls and moves just don't really work for me.

Now, I've only unlocked 4 characters so far. I forgot how hard the unlockable fights are for me since it feels like they set the AI to a really high level. Though I did have a funny moment when trying to unlock Ness where he was kicking my butt and he got pushed off the cliff somehow and screwed up is B up move and I won. I win by barely hitting him.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

For the life of me, I just can't get used to the jump. I don't know why, but I just keep thinking the jump button is the attack button.

Anyway, so far I've unlocked

Falco

Dark Pit

Ness

Got these by doing classic mode a few times

Lucina - Beat classic mode with Marth 

Wario - Beat 100 man melee mode

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 1

For the life of me, I just can't get used to the jump. I don't know why, but I just keep thinking the jump button is the attack button.

Anyway, so far I've unlocked

Falco

Dark Pit

Ness

Got these by doing classic mode a few times

Lucina - Beat classic mode with Marth 

Wario - Beat 100 man melee mode

I've got all those and another one which surprised me but I won't tell you what it is. I will say thought that

Dark Pit was a pain to unlock. It took me about 3-4 tries to unlock him. He was that good. He's okay when fighting, I've tried him and I quite like his moveset, but he was just a pain to unlock.

So far with the new guys:

Absolutely terrible with Megaman

Okay with Robin

Pretty good with Grenninja 

Luncina is mostly the same as Marth, who I'm not good with it

Really fun stuff so far! However, I feel like I'm going to break off my stick soon if I keep going as hard as I am. And my right hand starts to cramp after awhile. And I keep freakin' falling off the edge and killing myself  :fiery:

I've been maining Palutena. She's a lot of fun to use, but her slowness is killing me.

Greninja is more fun than I thought he would be. I'm surprisingly good with Robin. Zero Suit Samus is soooooo awesome and fast. I love using her. I need more time to see how I am with Shulk.

I'm really itching to unlock Lucina. I can't wait to play as her.

Is it me, or did they make Master Hand's AI a bit harder in this game?

I think so too, myself. It was sort of a pain to fight compared to older games. Perhaps it's the controls?

• Brohoof 1

I too have been getting the odd feeling of playing Smash on a 3DS. I've been maining Yoshi and the Mii Brawler for a while before giving Shulk, Ness, Sonic and a few others a try.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't care about stat boosts at all? I really don't see the point if custom characters can't be used online with anyone other than friends, which I barely, if not don't, even have any. All I really try to look for are Mii headgear, outfits and trophies. I also try to look for specials, but only for achieving completion. But the problem with this is that stat boosts are far more common than anything else besides trophies. At least it's possible to sell them for gold.

I haven't bothered with the stats, either. Didint know you could get MIi headgear, do they only drop if your playing a MIi?

Unlocked Bowser Jr. Last night. He's really interesting

Okay, I managed to unlock Ness and Falco but I failed to unlock Dark Pit. Seriously, Greninja sped off the cliff. He's fast and agile but can't really hit that hard.

Also, what level is the AI set in the unlockable fight? Cause it feels pretty high.

Dark Pit was very tough to unlock, I think in part because of the stage. It's not a very easy stage to work with, and the AI is aggressive.

Kind of wish I hadn't had to unlock Dark Pit anyway. lol

• Brohoof 2

And now I have Dr. Mario

I'm a little disappointed at the number of new clones in this game.

Lucina is Marth

Dr. Mario is Mario

Dark Pit is Pit with dark in front of his name and the black color option from brawl

That's not exactly new for Smash Bro's but I'm still like, "hmmmm". I suppose there's enough actually new characters to make up for it though.

Edited by Banul

Got it on my lunch break yesterday.  First thing I did was change the controls; no Tap Jump, Y is Special, B is Attack, A is Grab, X is Jump, R is Shield; that placement feels a lot more like the Gamecube controls (with the exception of Grab, but I would make Gamecube X my Grab button in Brawl anyway).  What a waste that you have to have 2 Jump buttons (my 2nd Jump being L now which I never touch); I'd rather 2 Grabs or Shields.

Thank goodness I didn't play the demo all that much because I fear I would have gotten too used to the default controls.

Anyway, I played a match against a co-worker and won (he was Greninja, I was Pac-Man).  That was fun.  I proceeded to go home and unlock everyone.

Incidentally, the fastest way to unlock characters is

to just play 120 1-stock Smash matches and suicide; a new character unlocks every 10 matches.  Also, beat 3 of the unlock characters with Captain Falcon as you go and you'll unlock Mute City.

So Mega Man....sigh.  He's not very good.  A ton of projectiles with pitiful range and no knockback.  Leaf Shield in particular is a laughably bad attack.  I like playing as him but...yeah.

Pac-Man, on the other hand, is awesome.  Where one classic gaming icon let me down, I think I found my main in another.

Oh, and I made my Mii Fighter.  Erik B Confirmed for Brawl!

Got it on my lunch break yesterday.  First thing I did was change the controls; no Tap Jump, Y is Special, B is Attack, A is Grab, X is Jump, R is Shield; that placement feels a lot more like the Gamecube controls (with the exception of Grab, but I would make Gamecube X my Grab button in Brawl anyway).  What a waste that you have to have 2 Jump buttons (my 2nd Jump being L now which I never touch); I'd rather 2 Grabs or Shields.

Thank goodness I didn't play the demo all that much because I fear I would have gotten too used to the default controls.

Anyway, I played a match against a co-worker and won (he was Greninja, I was Pac-Man).  That was fun.  I proceeded to go home and unlock everyone.

Incidentally, the fastest way to unlock characters is

to just play 120 1-stock Smash matches and suicide; a new character unlocks every 10 matches.  Also, beat 3 of the unlock characters with Captain Falcon as you go and you'll unlock Mute City.

So Mega Man....sigh.  He's not very good.  A ton of projectiles with pitiful range and no knockback.  Leaf Shield in particular is a laughably bad attack.  I like playing as him but...yeah.

Pac-Man, on the other hand, is awesome.  Where one classic gaming icon let me down, I think I found my main in another.

Oh, and I made my Mii Fighter.  Erik B Confirmed for Brawl!

You set up the controls just like my friend Josh! Crazy. Maybe I should play with that set up. He plays with Shulk, and I think that set up helped him not accidentally change manado modes. I've really been digging Greninja. A lot of people don't like the speed so much, but I love it.

I still haven't set up my mii fighters set up though because my brother hasn't brought my 3ds back. *shakes fist* I'll be taking care of that business today.

Still having trouble unlocking

Jigglypuff and R.O.B. R.O.B. I just haven't gotten 200 trophies yet and Jigglypuff, I thought it said on IGN beat classic mode 25 times and I did and nothing happend.Guess I'm doing 120 1 stock vs matches.

And now I have Dr. Mario

I'm a little disappointed at the number of new clones in this game.

Lucina is Marth
Dr. Mario is Mario
Dark Pit is Pit with dark in front of his name and the black color option from brawl

That's not exactly new for Smash Bro's but I'm still like, "hmmmm". I suppose there's enough actually new characters to make up for it though.

Least it's not as bad as how many clones there were in Melee. Pichu, Dr. Mario, Falco, Young Link, Ganondorf.

• Brohoof 1

Guys I've just discovered something.

When Bowser Jr. changes constumes, he can be the koopa kids. So technically, the koopa kids are in the game.

Also, I have just unlocked every character. Took long enough. Now I just need to unlock all the stages. Only one stage behind.

Great game but I still hate that damn sliding disc. Not nearly as good as even a mediocre analog stick. The game feels like it's pushing the 3DS to its very limits though, so the Wii U version can't come soon enough!

• Brohoof 1

Guys I've just discovered something.

When Bowser Jr. changes constumes, he can be the koopa kids. So technically, the koopa kids are in the game.

Also, I have just unlocked every character. Took long enough. Now I just need to unlock all the stages. Only one stage behind.

Unlocking all the characters is fairly easy as long as you follow the challenges. Playing every mode and as all the characters seems to help as well. I mostly played Smash mode along with everything else at least a couple times and they just seemed to show up after Smash matches in semi-regular intervals. As for the stages, Challenges specicfically pertain to unlocking them. I believe I had all the stages just before getting all the characters actually.

Great game but I still hate that damn sliding disc. Not nearly as good as even a mediocre analog stick. The game feels like it's pushing the 3DS to its very limits though, so the Wii U version can't come soon enough!

Yeah, the circle pad is a little weird. Even after playing lots of other 3DS games with it I'm still kind of finding it hard to get used to for Smash, lol
  • Brohoof 2

Unlocking all the characters is fairly easy as long as you follow the challenges. Playing every mode and as all the characters seems to help as well. I mostly played Smash mode along with everything else at least a couple times and they just seemed to show up after Smash matches in semi-regular intervals. As for the stages, Challenges specicfically pertain to unlocking them. I believe I had all the stages just before getting all the characters actually.

I know which stage I'm missing (Flat Zone 2). But I looked up how to unlock it, and it's to get to the second challenge page. I onl have one challenge to complete and that's obtain 10 smash run powers and I can't seem to do that whenever I play smash run.

• Brohoof 1