Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was the Movie originally supposed to be the end?

Sly

Morning guys. As you know, the S8 of the show has been confirmed thanks to John De Lancie who just got the scripts for the S8 premiere, so the Movie, WON'T be the end in the end...... however, by remembering many things about the production process in past seasons, I realized something.... but before we move on that, let's start with a premise:

I don't know if you guys know it, but originally Magical Mystery Cure should have been the end of the series. After that episode, there shouldn't have been anything else. However, Hasbro had a change of heart as the series was successful and commissioned a S4 at the time (and personal note, it did the right thing at the time, because as much I am a big fan of MMC I wouldn't have accepted it as ending as there still were plenty of things unconcluded at the time). As such, according to my sources, the Scripts for the s3 finale were locked in November 22nd 2011, while the ones for the S4 premiere were locked in mid August 2012. 8 months of gap between the two, which is understandable, considering that originally there wasn't supposed anything else after MMC. Well guys.... the history is repeating itself now, but this time in the wrong way.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/09/full-writing-staff-hinted-at-by-meghan.html

According to this, the writing for S5 was concluded in September 2014, but I also know that The Crystalling scripts were locked in the December of the same year. Three months later. Which is in the norm considering that there weren't any plans of cancellation then, and while I have not any official source on that, considering that the s7 is gonna start in the same period the S5 and the s6 started in their own years, I pretty much think the gap was the same for S6 finale-S7 premiere. However.... for S7-S8.... is not the same... at all.

As I pointed at the beginning of this post, the Scripts of the his he S8 premiere have been locked just now, as De Lancie received them now. But if the S7 finale's scripts were locked in September 2016..... there has been a 7 months gap this time.... ALMOST THE SAME ONE BETWEEN THE S3 FINALE AND THE S4 PREMIERE. Which means..... that Hasbro ORIGINALLY planned the Movie for being the end, but just like it did six years ago with MMC, they had a change of mind and extended the show even more.... while obviously it's all just mere theory, I don't think it shouldn't be considered....  what do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Cl0udChaser said:

I was hoping they will end on the movie. I'm not 100% sure but I have a bad feeling that it will go downhill after the movie.

Yeah, me too... if anything, the fact that the writing of the S8 was started just now, makes me also think that it's being done.... on force. And all because Hasbro wanted more money in their wallets.... also, considering that as the sales for the toys started dropping lately, unless the Movie boosts them, the S8 would be the last anyway. I don't think it's gonna raise the sales anyway.... 

28 minutes ago, Sly said:

Yeah, me too... if anything, the fact that the writing of the S8 was started just now, makes me also think that it's being done.... on force. And all because Hasbro wanted more money in their wallets.... also, considering that as the sales for the toys started dropping lately, unless the Movie boosts them, the S8 would be the last anyway. I don't think it's gonna raise the sales anyway.... 

If Hasbro continue the show after the movie, I probably won't watch it further anymore. I'm just gonna stick with old seasons that was good.

6 minutes ago, Cl0udChaser said:

If Hasbro continue the show after the movie, I probably won't watch it further anymore. I'm just gonna stick with old seasons that was good

Shouldn't you actually...you know, make sure your assumption that the show will go "Downhill" is correct first? If season 8 is good too, would you still stop watching it? There's no guarantee the show is going to go downhill just because it's after the movie.

Anyway, I still sort of doubt the movie was supposed to be the end, I mean...Maybe possibly the end of FIM, but probably not G4 as a whole, after all, it's a movie that could possibly introduce a bunch of new fans to the series, wouldn't they want more content after for those new fans to enjoy and spend money on? Especially that second one.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, BasementSea said:

Shouldn't you actually...you know, make sure your assumption that the show will go "Downhill" is correct first? If season 8 is good too, would you still stop watching it? There's no guarantee the show is going to go downhill just because it's after the movie.

Anyway, I still sort of doubt the movie was supposed to be the end, I mean...Maybe possibly the end of FIM, but probably not G4 as a whole, after all, it's a movie that could possibly introduce a bunch of new fans to the series, wouldn't they want more content after for those new fans to enjoy and spend money on? Especially that second one.

@BasementSeaYes, I will still watch season 8 if it's good.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:12 AM, Cl0udChaser said:

If Hasbro continue the show after the movie, I probably won't watch it further anymore. I'm just gonna stick with old seasons that was good.

I would continue watching the show anyway. Not religiously but then again I never have watched it consistently. Im not nor have ever been super into the show and within the last few seasons purposely caught only the episodes that interested me. Still I see no reason to stop watching even partially becuase we assume its going to run out of steam and turn into the Simpsons. I mean hell, im surprised its lasted 6 seasons so far so it shows it at least has something going for it. I can still enjoy individual episodes regardless of the seasons quality.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:34 AM, Cl0udChaser said:

I was hoping they will end on the movie. I'm not 100% sure but I have a bad feeling that it will go downhill after the movie.

To be honest I felt its been going downhill since season 6 but yeah its not going to stop, or at least I doubt it. I've had this conversation before on this forum and its basically came to teh same conclusion. From your point of view you and the show staff want it to end on a high note. Or at least a luke warm note and not to drive into the ground. HASBRO on the other hand wants your dosh(cash) and as long as they are breaking even, they have no reason to stop making episodes. As long as there is money to be vacuumed from the pockets of parents and adults they couldnt care about the integrity or quality of the show. It just so happened they bottled lightning when they got Lauren Faust and pulled a team of clever writers for G4 otherwise it wouldnt have been any different from previous MLP generations.

Im not saying Hasbro is some kind of evil company but you gotta understand. They're a toy company first and a media company second. Its not as if anyone ASKED for Princess Twilight or Flurry Heart but to boost toy sales HELL YEAH they'll throw that stuff at you. Its just I know where you're coming from and dont want the integrity of the show to be compromised by corporatism but...if Hasbro can even break even they will continue well into season 17 of G4.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that if the film was originally crafted as the end of the series, they almost surely put the most of their effort in that film. Something similar happened in MMC, where they got many resources to make that only episode special. If that is the case, I'm even more hyped for the film now. Of course, being the case that the movie was actually made as the series finale. 

I think if anything the film is an attempt to breathe new life into the FiM series.  Hasbro could always retire FiM and start fresh while also rolling out a new gen of the toys, but there's a risk involved.  Sure, riding one series for too long may not work out for the best either, but I think Hasbro wants to keep this one going for a while yet. I mean, if it was just a means to quietly cap off the series they could have done just that with a lot less.  They certainly didn't need to pay royally for celebrity voices including a song by Sia.  If anything the intention was always to increase mass appeal, and companies don't do that if they're planning to retire a series.  That the series would end with the film was always baseless conjecture IMHO anyways.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:34 AM, Cl0udChaser said:

I was  hoping the same. Let it end with a bang with the movie, rather than dragging it on and on.