Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lunar Phases [Orchestral/Deep House]

BlueBrony

This lovely piece was based off a little commission I did months ago. I decided I wanted to expand it because it sounded too cool X-). This piece is meant to be a "sister" work to my other song Celestial Rise.

High quality stream/download on ponyfm (picture is link):

normal.png

In Game Name:
Server Name :
Offense Banned for:
Staff member who banned you:
Dispute Reason:
Edited by BlueBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Ok. 

It's a good track. However, I think that limiting yourself to the i and the V (knowing that you are in the key of C minor) in the beginning, began to stale out quickly. I suggest using something like this

i-VI-V-i-VI-V-VII-i

This progression creates a circle cadence because it can quickly return to the i. You can quickly move to the VII to resolve to the III. In fact, what would've been cool was to start the piece in Eb Major, then, invoke the fact that you will move to the relative minor. Remember, the vi is the relative minor of the I, and by turning the iii into the III7, you can easily move to the relative minor. When the moon is dark (AKA Nightmare shift), move to c minor. As the moon as restored, slowly start hinting that you will return to the III AKA the relative major of the minor key you're in. 

In terms of your sounds, a soft hissing sawtooth pad would work just as the moon is at half in terms of the visuals. To make a hissing sawtooth pad, you must increase the noise level, but not too much. Then, increase attack time, until you get a nice swell. Your release time should be long as well. During the piano solo, a soft warm pad would work behind it. That piano just felt a little too alone during that part. 

All in all, it's a good piece, but it could use work on organization and execution. I see where you were going with it, but it wasn't as good as your others. Shoot me a PM if you have trouble with some of the theory and other stuff in my critique. 

I appreciate the feedback. This track was theory-wise much simpler than some of my other works, so I understand your criticism. I wanted the piano to sound alone to represent luna's isolation on the moon, and I added that sound effect as an unusual way to give that part a little something besides the naked piano without adding any warmth. still, these are good things to consider if i decide to come back and make a VIP version of this track.

21 minutes ago, BlueBrony said:

I appreciate the feedback. This track was theory-wise much simpler than some of my other works, so I understand your criticism. I wanted the piano to sound alone to represent luna's isolation on the moon, and I added that sound effect as an unusual way to give that part a little something besides the naked piano without adding any warmth. still, these are good things to consider if i decide to come back and make a VIP version of this track.

I see what you were trying to do. Even if you didn't have a warm pad, a nice long reverb on the piano to at least give it atmosphere would work, and no problem. 

• Brohoof 1