Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

On Community Engagement

Jeric

This is probably going to go over as a Nixon going to China moment due to what I say at one point, but I'll take that risk.

Lurking and participating in this specific forum in the last few  weeks, I can't help but see a common thread* appear. A boop system with reactions, a currency system, user awards, etc were all mentioned. 

It seems that - to me at least - the general flavor of these requests is that the community is looking for fun ways to engage each other, and for the organization to engage them (or provide new ways to facilitate it). It's been a while since I've seen a rush of these types of ideas come from the userbase, and I'm personally impressed by that. I hope that the wheels keep turning in their heads, because I think there is some actionable feedback to be had there.

In the past we had banner, fanfiction, and art contests. We had ad-hoc moments to add some fun here and there, had a calendar system that allowed modification by the users. Some of these events - on occasion - created a few moments that have the special quality of creating future nostalgia for this place. 

Some of these ideas died out. Some were victims of real life priorities, and some fell to the 'dynamic' nature of crisis management that tends to occur from time to time. I know perfectly well that running this community is not exactly a simple task. It is easy to back-burner an event plan while a community or staff bugaboo takes center stage, so I know full well how that happens. It is always a shame as they were some great missed opportunities. 

Small things are also important. I recall being a new user and seeing Feld0 actually ask another new user how his first day on MLPF was. That little touch went a long way, not in just retaining that member, but it went a long way in creating the positive impression I have of the staff and organization. It's why I took initiative to help people in Site Questions.

Now I'm not advocating any specific solution(s). Hell, the staff knows that I could create a sizable list of events and engagement tips, and as actionable as they may be, it is easy to fall into the trap of focusing on the list and not appreciating why a list like that would be conjured into existence in the first place. Also, I certainly wouldn't expect the Admins to even consider asking staff to run around asking people how their first day is, but I hope you can understand why I included that particular example.

I admit that the various contests returning would be welcome distractions (opportunities for community frivolity and merriment are always welcome by me), and I do hope that they return, but I understand the human effort some of them take. Perhaps take a page from the initial (and successful art contest) and involve the users in helping to manage the project? 

Mentis, RKA, and Skysweep showed that events and projects like these are possible and even popular. The people who did the MLPF Reacts videos also had a wonderful idea that they managed on their own. Perhaps a collaborative approach between staff and the users could ease the burden a little. 

The staff here does a pretty fair job at launching events. The MCM, Secret Santa, and even the improvised April Fool's Day event were good examples. This is not me saying these don't happen, or that when they do happen that they suck. No. Pirate and company knocked the MCM out of the park, and the Rarity RP'er did the same. ;)

That said, I do think there are opportunities now, especIally now. The community and the staff would benefit, is a recurring theme here lately. 

I want the newer members of staff to feel inspired along with those who come here to discuss, have fun, make friends, or waste some time. I want the seasoned vets to remember that each day should be more than just surviving the latest sky falling drama or conflict. I want the newer members to keep throwing 'idea spaghetti' at the Feedback wall. 

I just wanted to impart to the other users to keep these community driven ideas coming, and to remind the staff that in the sea of feedback on the new version's issues - there is a deeper desire for that little touch that helps drive us to come back day after day.

*Yes that was a pun. I'll be here all week. 

Also ... the little touch ... it's quite important. 

hqdefault.jpg

;)

• Brohoof 14

Hey Jeric,

I wanna follow up on you 1-1 re: this, though it's like 2:30 AM for me and I need sleep. So I'll shoot off some messages to you tomorrow. 

(Also helps to let others know that we're not ignoring this thread :P)

• Brohoof 4

I would very much love to see a return of more community-involved events (Most Attractive Pony Tournament, anyone?), or even user-implemented features such as the aforementioned 'Reactions' system. I admit that ever since I went back to studies/work, I've simply had less motivation to be involved with such forum activities as I did when I had more free time on my hands, though inside I dearly wished they would continue. As Jeric pointed out, they were of great benefit in encouraging user interaction and played a huge role towards building the forum's reputation as somewhere you could really get involved beyond simple discussions and feel part of a growing, active and friendly community. These are the kind of things that encourage the majority of new users to stick around for the longer haul.

I do believe however that if enough of us were to come together and really push a new event forward for the coming weeks, it might spark a new wave of motivation and implementation of ideas like those that have been brought to Feedback by others already. Doesn't have to be just staff, I'd be more than happy to work with anyone who feels they have something to put forward and maybe just doesn't know where to start with it. The keys are there after all, all we really need is the ignition! :D

• Brohoof 4

A couple years back we used to have a weekly stream hosted by a staff member called Marco. Usually a bunch of staff would join a call, play games, make art and generally have a good time while allowing the community to hang with us. Honestly that's one of my favourite memories. Id love to see something like that return but we don't really have anyone who would be up to streaming regularly. 

Still, even if we can't bring back the stream it would be nice to bring back some of the old events that never really made an appearance over the last year or two.

• Brohoof 5

I would love to host an event (even though I am a staff member, I'd just hold it as a community thing). If anyone needs help with technical stuff, or just help in general, I would love to offer my assistance! I've been around since 2012 but haven't made myself really known to the newer userbase (and some of the old) until just a few months ago - I need to really work on that. That said, it would help some not-as-known members get known too - having friends is good!

14 minutes ago, King said:

A couple years back we used to have a weekly stream hosted by a staff member called Marco. Usually a bunch of staff would join a call, play games, make art and generally have a good time while allowing the community to hang with us. Honestly that's one of my favourite memories. Id love to see something like that return but we don't really have anyone who would be up to streaming regularly. 

Still, even if we can't bring back the stream it would be nice to bring back some of the old events that never really made an appearance over the last year or two.

I'd be interested in doing this, honestly. Not hosting, because my schedule can change at any moment, but just maybe helping in some way and joining the call, having some fun.

• Brohoof 2

I would be sincerely elated to assist on the matter by preparing contests and events of the like. Regarding the forum awards, reactions and what partains technical features it is up for the developers, albeit it would aid us greatly in the previous subject giving us visible prizes to bestow upon those who participated. 

Furthermore, I do agree with the calendar point, on which I believe more informal events are long overdue.

Over all of which I possess capability of intervention over, I would be glad to help with by artistic and any other means necessary and plausibly attainable. For the rest, devs.

• Brohoof 2

On 4/19/2017 at 2:01 PM, Jeric said:

Mentis, RKA, and Skysweep showed that events and projects like these are possible and even popular. The people who did the MLPF Reacts videos also had a wonderful idea that they managed on their own. Perhaps a collaborative approach between staff and the users could ease the burden a little. 

I am like kinda super happy someone mentioned my name, (I'm gonna guess this is because I run the annual class photo (needs to finish last one...)). Anyway I do like everything you said so I hope someone actually takes up the ball and runs with it, heck I'm willing to do another thing, if I can think of something. I can do one thing on my ownsome I'll do another if people really want it...

But I'd hold off everyone until you know a member actually posts here. Cose you look ^ just staff (me too).

Come on people (ponies) of MLPF what do you guys want to see?!

• Brohoof 2

On 4/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, King said:

I also remember you being an advocate for a conversational style Podcast as well. Ideas like the gaming streams, your old podcast idea, and even goofy events like Equestria.TV's comic read stream would fit the the general concept of creating fun regular activities.

Also, yay for the sudden flurry of replies! 

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was featured
  • The topic was unfeatured