Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Engagement rings and wedding rings.

Evil Pink One

I think traditionally the wedding ring is supposed to be the more expensive one, but as far as expense, design, and what kind of gems go, it's really up to the preferences of your partner! Other rocks are definitely allowed. Or no rocks at all!

My engagement ring is literally a $16 circle of copper that is painted to look like silver (or at least it was before the silver wore off lmao) and I couldn't be more happy with it! We bought it because I had gotten my partner a stainless silver ring and we wanted our rings to match but the store was completely out of simple thin stainless steel bands for my hand size. We could go get a better ring for me at any time, but that's really not what I care about. The important thing is the love, not the rings.

Everyone's got different opinions though, so it's always best to just ask your significant other what style of rings they would like for their hypothetical engagement/wedding ring! :eager:

image.gif.40a4db3f0c93b69ac2fe42a96e487af6.gif

• Brohoof 1

well, a wedding ring is meant to be the forever one so it should be more expensive I thought, but actually the engagement one is more showy/expensive. When my sister got married she and her partner discussed it beforehand and they both got matching engagement rings and I don't think they bothered with another wedding ring (or if they did they didn't make a fuss over that one and I forgot they had it :P ) - they preferred their precious metal rockless and I quite like the way it looks. 

I don't think I've seen many in the wild, but pink/white saphires are a fave.

image.thumb.png.f5ebba4f800263a4d1e8bca68d356694.png

if you like blue, then blue saphire with pearls is very distinctive

image.png.f6357e9b71480c8931d95c069a5d5cbf.png

a coloured metal one

image.png.a46cf14089a30707973867373f7f169c.png

What's brought this question on? :3

(edited)

If I were to go for a special wedding gift for the one I was marrying I would go for something unique to them or something that symbolizes "US".

For example if she had blue eyes get sapphire or ocean/sky themed. 

Diamonds are or at least SHOULD be a dime a dozen. The only reason their expensive is because of tactics used both on the supply chain and very clever marketing.

But yeah, if I were I wouldn't do the same thing everyone else is doing I'd go for something that really stands out.

Something that screams "my soul knows yours".

it doesn't even have to be something mega expensive either. A perfect example is what AJ's  father and mother did for each other by planting the apple and pear trees so close together. The two trees tying themselves together symbolizing their desire to unit themselves and their families together.

so, yeah it is the gesture and principle that matters. 

Edited by shadowmoon Dancer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the wedding rings are usually simple because,

1. They're meant to represent an eternal promise to one another, a symbolic contract.

2. Under traditional judeo-christian beliefs we're probably supposed to show modesty when making a pact or swearing before god right? Also the reason for the white dress for purity and everyone else dressing well but not to extravagantly?

3. Under feudalism everyone who wasn't nobility was generally poor, so a plain metal band was all anyone could afford?

Meanwhile, the engagement ring is a more recent addition to marital tradition. An offering to a potential partner that proves you're willing and able to provide for them, pushed by romantic media and the daimond industry.

What's important is making your partner happy. For example, I had a rough design and jewelry company in mind for my girlfriend, whom I'm still not engaged to, but we've preemptively gone over quite a bit over 5 years. :laugh:

However, with the complete lack of privacy that comes with carrying a recording device at all times, she received multiple ads for engagement rings and happened across one she absolutely fell in love with, and has very much expressed that's the one she wants. It may have taken away that part in the creative process as the would be groom, but that's ultimately what she's eventually going to get. :)

Also, I've come up with so many ideas for how our actual ceremony will go that she loves, that that kind of makes up for it.

Someday, will be a day to remember <3

We don't really do those here all the time. It's only more recently become a thing here and it's mostly for couples who are inspired by western countries. My parents don't have rings at all for example, and that's sort of the norm. We just give gold at the ceremony instead.

Inherently, rings are a rip off, they retain virtually none of their value except the precious metals which aren't worth as much as you are paying. This is why we gift gold as a gift. You pay around it's actual value and when you go to sell it, it usually is worth more.

• Brohoof 1

It’s all a matter of personal taste. I’ve seen all kinds and there are no rules except making it a good personal fit for the person wearing it. Neither the wedding nor engagement ring needs to be more expensive than the other (or expensive at all). My mom’s engagement ring is much fancier than her wedding ring but personally I prefer the wedding ring to be the more elaborate of the two because it represents the actual marriage whereas the engagement ring is basically a placeholder to let everyone else know that the wearer is spoken-for. As far as the design, that’s entirely up to the individual. Some like gold, some like silver, some like diamonds and some like other stones mixed in. I didn’t want gold tone for mine and preferred silver or white gold. My wedding ring is white gold with a solitary diamond. It has a simple look and I like it that way. Simpler wedding bands in gold or silver are very popular because they do the job without breaking the bank and they still have all the same meaning. I often think the less elaborate the ring the more meaning there is behind it because it’s more about content than being showy.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

No idea and I simply don't care either. When the time comes I'm going to just propose with something cheap, and then subsequently ask her to pick out her favourite ring with me and we'll buy that