Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So, I'll start by saying sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere. I was just really wondering, and I'm not very hip to the headcanon fans have! I also haven't read any comics or anything.

Further into the series, its known that dragons are intelligent creatures, and while potentially greedy and destructive, they are also are capable of speech (even the dragon that was napping and smoking up Ponyville uttered a few words once Fluttershy gave him a talking to). This leads me to wonder not only where Spike came from (was he stolen? A rescue/orphan egg?) but whether the isolation of him from dragon kind during his earlier years deliberate (to control his greedy dragon instincts, perhaps)? We've seen Spike interact with dragons before, and he isn't able to fit in well with the rest of his kind, assumedly due to his pony upbringing. Does anyone make anything of this? I just pictured a couple of dragon parents wondering where the heck one of their eggs went to, and got curious as to potential backstories, lol. 

(edited)

I wouldn't mind a cameo of the dragon, Whimsy Weatherbe from g3, to be his mom. Or cousin, even. I have always thought Spike seemed to be more like an Asian/ Eastern dragon, unlike the dragons of the West (Equestria) that we see. His personality traits fit more with the former.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

I got the feeling something happened in his original colony which forced the dragons to retreat, but his egg was accidentally left behind. His egg was then discovered by Tirek's brother Scorpan, and he gave it to Celestia in hoping it could be useful for gaining an alliance with the dragons! 

I really want Scorpan to be part of Spike's origins, as G1 Scorpan gave G1 Spike to the ponies!

It's not just his origins I wanna know in the show though! What's his purpose? A dragon living among pony kind, that just doesn't happen. I got the feeling Celestia had some kind of plan for him - not just being Twilight's assistant, that's just something to keep him busy... but something more!

• Brohoof 1

Well in The Cutie Mark Chronicles (S1 E23) it is shown that Twilight hatched Spike's egg, but AFAIK it's an open question "Where did the school get that egg?"  The show has never covered it.  IDK if the comics have gone into that or not.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 11:36 PM, MegaSean45 said:

I got the feeling Celestia had some kind of plan for him - not just being Twilight's assistant, that's just something to keep him busy... but something more!

I like the idea of this quite a bit. It would even be cool is Spike were somehow given to Celestia by his parents, although not very likely I guess.

I seriously didn't know I could "follow" the threads I started until not too long ago, so I thought this topic was long buried and dead. Doh!

How did Celestia get Spike's egg is a pretty good question.

Because I doubt that she would flat out steal an egg from its parents, but if she didn't steal it, how did it get into her possession?

It would be neat to see that explained in the show at some point.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe they owned something to her/the ponies and had to give Spike away, out of other eggs they had? Something like that...

Or maybe Celestia is Rumplestilskin as a pony.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CypherHoof said:

Or what if eggs can only be hatched by magic, so they are routinely given to other, magic using races to be hatched?

But then Spike's parents are still waiting for him to come back 0-0

On 2017-5-23 at 3:39 AM, Meeps said:

So, I'll start by saying sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere. I was just really wondering, and I'm not very hip to the headcanon fans have! I also haven't read any comics or anything.

Further into the series, its known that dragons are intelligent creatures, and while potentially greedy and destructive, they are also are capable of speech (even the dragon that was napping and smoking up Ponyville uttered a few words once Fluttershy gave him a talking to). This leads me to wonder not only where Spike came from (was he stolen? A rescue/orphan egg?) but whether the isolation of him from dragon kind during his earlier years deliberate (to control his greedy dragon instincts, perhaps)? We've seen Spike interact with dragons before, and he isn't able to fit in well with the rest of his kind, assumedly due to his pony upbringing. Does anyone make anything of this? I just pictured a couple of dragon parents wondering where the heck one of their eggs went to, and got curious as to potential backstories, lol. 

Spike came from a egg

thats his origin, thats good enough

Just now, ImDaMisterL said:

But then Spike's parents are still waiting for him to come back 0-0

Sure, why not? we have no idea how long dragons live, or what sort of time scale they work on. Its possible they consider a fresh egg returning as a young dragon within a century or so "soon" (Took a look at the wiki and it says the G3 Spike is a thousand years old). Or possible a queen dragon lays hundreds of eggs, so isn't really that emotionally invested in when any one egg gets hatched.  Or (again, because I looked at the wiki :D ) it's possible spike is an orphan.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Sure, why not? we have no idea how long dragons live, or what sort of time scale they work on. Its possible they consider a fresh egg returning as a young dragon within a century or so "soon" (Took a look at the wiki and it says the G3 Spike is a thousand years old). Or possible a queen dragon lays hundreds of eggs, so isn't really that emotionally invested in when any one egg gets hatched.  Or (again, because I looked at the wiki :D ) it's possible spike is an orphan.

spikes parent is crackle 

Spikes long adventure to find his mother XD

Edited by BloodDrops
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Or what if eggs can only be hatched by magic, so they are routinely given to other, magic using races to be hatched?

I feel like this is a good way to extinct a race, honestly. Most of the dragons we've seen have been.. er, rather... abrasive, to pony culture at least. I can't see them behaving the way they do, and talking down to ponies so outwardly, if they were dependent on them in this way!

9 hours ago, Meeps said:

I feel like this is a good way to extinct a race, honestly. Most of the dragons we've seen have been.. er, rather... abrasive, to pony culture at least. I can't see them behaving the way they do, and talking down to ponies so outwardly, if they were dependent on them in this way!

We only see a fairly small part of the world though - we know there are yaks, and minotaurs, and sea pon... ok, so we haven't officially seen those yet, but still... assuming dragons are near-immortal, they may NEED a very convoluted method to introduce more to the population, or you end up hip-deep in dragons...

(although I am now wondering how long alicorns live, given luna got put in a thousand-year "time out" which seems a bit harsh on a non-immortal, even a bratty sister)

4 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

assuming dragons are near-immortal, they may NEED a very convoluted method to introduce more to the population, or you end up hip-deep in dragons...

Considering how impulsive and reckless they can be, I always thought natural selection would do plenty to keep their numbers in check. :)

As for the topic, the Gameloft MLP game states "Spike was found orphaned as an egg" and while the game isn't canon it's the most reliable source we have for now until the show says different.

My own theory is he was enchanted/enhanced in some way by one of his parents to eventually become a super-weapon, but the other did not want this to happen to their child. So they secretly gave his egg to Celestia to be raised by someone else and not fulfill a terrible destiny of being a mindless monster.

3 hours ago, Truffles said:

Considering how impulsive and reckless they can be, I always thought natural selection would do plenty to keep their numbers in check. :)

As for the topic, the Gameloft MLP game states "Spike was found orphaned as an egg" and while the game isn't canon it's the most reliable source we have for now until the show says different.

My own theory is he was enchanted/enhanced in some way by one of his parents to eventually become a super-weapon, but the other did not want this to happen to their child. So they secretly gave his egg to Celestia to be raised by someone else and not fulfill a terrible destiny of being a mindless monster.

I like your idea. Sounds pretty cool. I'm also fine with the Gameloft explanation!

Here's my theory as to where spike came from:

Spike was born into the royal dragon family, but when he was an egg, a thief stole him. Spike's mother tried to find him, only to go missing herself. When Celestia found the egg from the thief, she used it to test other unicorns' abilities.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

On 6/11/2017 at 6:50 PM, Gamer Pizza said:

but when he was an egg, a thief stole him. Spike's mother tried to find him, only to go missing herself. When Celestia found the egg from the thief

What if  Spike's mother was flying the egg or the hatched Spike fell and then Celestia found him.

He would to be young for when it happens.   

On 6/8/2017 at 11:36 AM, Meeps said:

egg to Celestia ...

On 6/8/2017 at 3:23 AM, CypherHoof said:

Most of the dragons we've seen have been.. er, rather... abrasive, to pony culture at least.

Edited by PonyNoob