Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Threshold limit

Stickman, The Legend

I've noticed the character minimum in the corner on all posts, regardless of the forum, is showing 20, but that the actual limits are actually much different. Something that didn't work in the forum upgrade, I guess.

Is that happening when you're posting in any topic or just your RP topic? Your RP topic is in the Everfree Roleplay section which has a 200 character minimum per post. The character count box is still incorrectly showing a minimum of 20 at the moment. I'll see what we can do about fixing that.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Totally Lyra said:

Is that happening when you're posting in any topic or just your RP topic? Your RP topic is in the Everfree Roleplay section which has a 200 character minimum per post. The character count box is still incorrectly showing a minimum of 20 at the moment. I'll see what we can do about fixing that.

Thanks for letting me know that. Could you lower it down to 20 characters if possible? No? Ok.

2 minutes ago, Stickman, The Legend said:

Thanks for letting me know that. Could you lower it down to 20 characters if possible? No? Ok.

Looks like that thread is your OOC, I'll see about moving it to the Everfree Planning and OOC section. Posts there have a 20 character minimum anyway.

13 minutes ago, BlueStreak98 said:

I've noticed the character minimum in the corner on all posts, regardless of the forum, is showing 20, but that the actual limits are actually much different. Something that didn't work in the forum upgrade, I guess.

I noticed in the Forums Games section, the posts still work even if less than 20 characters

11 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I noticed in the Forums Games section, the posts still work even if less than 20 characters

If I'm not mistaking, Forum Games don't have any requirement regarding minimum amount of characters.

That makes these counting-type games more 'neat', rather than having to type something like this:

Spoiler

some random characters to be able to post it. yay me.

are there 20 characters yet? okay, thanks.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Not always. 

Screenshot_20170524-121514.png

You do have to put some text if you are replying to an image based game with just an image. 

I got it passed the error with '.....'

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

If I'm not mistaking, Forum Games don't have any requirement regarding minimum amount of characters.

That makes these counting-type games more 'neat', rather than having to type something like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed. Why is there even a character limit anyway (If the staff don't mind me asking)

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Stickman, The Legend said:

Agreed. Why is there even a character limit anyway (If the staff don't mind me asking)

The character limit is in place to ensure that quality posts are made. A post containing nothing but "lol", for example, does not contribute much to the thread's discussion. Low quality posts have the tendency to come across as spammy, which can clutter a thread. The minimum is also in place to discourage members from making short, pointless responses just to up their post count. The user who created the thread put time and effort into forming a discussion topic, so it's only fair that they should receive meaningful responses from their peers. :) 

As @WiiGuy2014 pointed out, there are sections of the forum with a higher character minimum. This is because the subject matter of the threads in those areas typically call for longer posts in order to give a full response. Cloudsdale Colosseum and Welcoming Plaza don't have character minimums because they are pretty relaxed sections. Posts made over there also don't add to your post count. 

@Jeric I also noticed the same thing shortly after the update. I would get the the threshold indication at random when participating in Forum Games. 

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Stickman, The Legend said:

As Kiriness already alluded to; the intention behind the character limit was to encourage users to give greater contribution and quality to their posts than simply having a throwaway response of maybe one or two words. It was hoped that this would allow for longer, more substantial discussion within sections that tended to have a lot of topics where opinions and input were requested, such as Everfree Forest.

For that reason, it's supposed to be disabled in more casuals areas of the forum like Cloudsdale and especially Forum Games, but the recent software update seems to have bugged that out a little, as you've no doubt noticed. =/

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Lady Kiriness said:

@Jeric I also noticed the same thing shortly after the update. I would get the the threshold indication at random when participating in Forum Games.

Yep. One way around it is to just quote the person above you. In the old version you couldn't do that to bypass the counter unless you knew the trick.

Now you can each time. Makes things less frustrating for people, but it also breaks the purpose of a counter in long form sections like RP and Debate Pit. I can quote almost any post and state a one word reply like, "Agreed" ... and it will go through. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Yep. One way around it is to just quote the person above you. In the old version you couldn't do that to bypass the counter unless you knew the trick.

Now you can each time. Makes things less frustrating for people, but it also breaks the purpose of a counter in long form sections like RP and Debate Pit. I can quote almost any post and state a one word reply like, "Agreed" ... and it will go through. 

2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

As Kiriness already alluded to; the intention behind the character limit was to encourage users to give greater contribution and quality to their posts than simply having a throwaway response of maybe one or two words. It was hoped that this would allow for longer, more substantial discussion within sections that tended to have a lot of topics where opinions and input were requested, such as Everfree Forest.

For that reason, it's supposed to be disabled in more casuals areas of the forum like Cloudsdale and especially Forum Games, but the recent software update seems to have bugged that out a little, as you've no doubt noticed. =/

2 hours ago, Lady Kiriness said:

The character limit is in place to ensure that quality posts are made. A post containing nothing but "lol", for example, does not contribute much to the thread's discussion. Low quality posts have the tendency to come across as spammy, which can clutter a thread. The minimum is also in place to discourage members from making short, pointless responses just to up their post count. The user who created the thread put time and effort into forming a discussion topic, so it's only fair that they should receive meaningful responses from their peers. :) 

As @WiiGuy2014 pointed out, there are sections of the forum with a higher character minimum. This is because the subject matter of the threads in those areas typically call for longer posts in order to give a full response. Cloudsdale Colosseum and Welcoming Plaza don't have character minimums because they are pretty relaxed sections. Posts made over there also don't add to your post count. 

Thanks for letting me know.