Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria: Duality

PonyOfDespair

(edited)

Equestria: Duality

Hello everyone. This is my first hosted roleplay on this site so forgive me if this isn't like others you've been in. I've been in few pony roleplays but I had an idea I thought would be fun to do with a group of people. I hope you enjoy!

You are a pony who has been invited to a resort in the Crystal Empire by the owner of said vacation haven himself. Your summons is simple, your name was randomly drawn and you've been offered an expense free vacation to the lovely beachside location, starting with a special feast with your host. Upon arrival you are treated like favored guests and after dinner are excused to rest and await the fun of the next day. 

Not long into the night your group decides to go on a walk to explore the location of your generous vacation. 

You and your party of fellow guests however encounter a twist and suddenly everything about the Equestria you know and love isn't as it should be... Your pony has become drastically different than it was before and now it's an upgrade of the original!

Your character may have swapped genders. They may have even changed species! Or they may have simply discovered that they have magical abilities or gained physical prowess where they had none before. You're goal? To find out what's going on and get home? The catch? You don't know how and you need help to do it.

Submitting:

Upon your character's acceptance they will receive their letter of invitation to be pampered and you will begin your turn by responding to that letter and meeting at the resort. When submitting please remember that your character will have changes and incorporate those upgrades. You can be as creative as you like with these changes and I would like you to keep in mind that they will be normal ponies when this roleplay begins. They will have normal, otherwise canonically believable lives with jobs and families. 

Roles to apply for:

Medic/Healer-

You'll be invaluable to your comrades with your ability to heal and better them. Though you may be able to protect yourself, saving others is your prime objective.

Mage-

You will primarily fight with magical attacks and abilities, but this does not mean you have to be a unicorn. Something has changed you after all. Your role will be defense mostly but your comrades may need your magical talents for enchanting and more practical situations.  

Warrior-

You will fight with weapons and will wield ones where others cannot. Your abilities lie in your physical prowess.

Scout-

You're the master of stealth. If it's spying, silent attacks, or quick escapes your pony is who others look to. You'll probably be in charge of providing the vital information to the one in charge that determines the actions of the team as a whole. 

Tactition-

Not overly battle inclined but still important. You find out who is on your side and what places are safe. Where can you get supplies? Where is the enemy's bases of operations and what can you do to foil them? You're the one who puts everything together and offers up the important details to the others. You get in touch with allies and make the preparations for missions. 

Constructor-

When given the materials you make what you need and repair broken weapons. Give the mages something to enchant, fix your medic's tools, craft armor for your warrior. 

Rules:

Submission format-

Spoiler

Character Name:

Role:

OC page link:

Additional info: ( change made to your OC when they upgrade, weapons, and other items )

1.) Please don't god mod your character. If you can defeat an alicorn alone then your character is boring and unnecessary as a team contributor. If you can't die you aren't being a fair roleplayer. Please keep abilities in check so we can all have fun. 

2.) No Mary/Gary Sues. It should go without saying that that you shouldn't submit or become an alicorn in this roleplay. No not spirits or gods of elements and objects either. Your character shouldn't be perfect, no one is. 

3.) Please specify the changes undergone by your character when they upgrade. This includes gender changes, race changes, abilities gained, and simple changes in appearances. Be creative, but not over the top okay? 

4.) Try not to fall out of touch. Post at least twice a week and alert the others to periods of absence. (For example I'm mostly active in evenings and at night.) Keep chatting even when it's not your turn and get to know your fellow roleplayers. Remember to be respectful though.

5.) As for length, I understand that in some cases ( conversations mostly ) there isn't much to be added but 200 character minimums are the goal. If you fall short once or twice that's okay so long as your posts are decent in length the rest of the time. Quality is preferred over quantity though so try to be detailed and proofread before posting. Legibility is key and we all want to see what you paint for our minds.

Warrior-

Mage- @P-Jay

Medic- @Blood Moon@PonyOfDespair

Scout-

Tactician-

Constructor- @driz

*Sidenote: Don't be discouraged if someone has the role you want, I'm allowing a max of two in a single role.

Edited by PonyOfDespair
  • Brohoof 1

Interesting... Something like this could be fun for my OC I'll join if you don't mind.

Character Name: Maple Bat

Role: Mage (I can also be either Tactician, or Scout I'll let a few other ponies join and if they want the others they can have them)

OC page link:

Additional info:  After the Upgrade Maple would become a Dragonequus, Her draconequus form would be the same head and body but her front hooves would change to lion paws, one of her wings would change to a Pegasus wing, the white part of her eyes would turn light orange, her left back leg changes to a griffin-like claw, she would get 2 deer horns which she could cast magic out of and her tail would become a Discord-like Dragon tail.

(Using Chaos magic could be really strong but also fun if I'm creative enough)

Her equipment would be her black cloak, Her armor which she wouldn't wear after the change, And her bow the "Heart's Eclipse" (In OC page)

If you don't like her that's fine! But again I'm really interested. I patiently await your responce.

(edited)

@Maple Bat

I really appreciate your interest in this RP! I've read over the character and taken the abilities to heart, but I'm worried about the potential over powered-ness of this character once changed. With her parentage and associations with major canon characters I would just rather avoid having so many ties with the mane 6 and powerful characters like Discord and royals. I'm sorry but I don't think this is a match :( 

Edited by PonyOfDespair

(edited)

I guess Techno would get trapped in the dimension. :)

So in the RP Techno went on his own to the RP universe by himself on an expedition to explore and study the dimension but it was a huge mistake he made. His drive got mostly messed up by the environment there and he lost most of his abilities and memories. Like I'm thinking that he felt a strang force causing damage to his system when he first arrived. He tried to port out of the dimension and escape but it was already too late. He then saved himself by quickly creating a dataset to stop the magic from doing anything else to his system but by that point he had most of his memories, knowledge and abilities wiped out from his system.   :) 

Edited by Techno Universal

(edited)

@PonyOfDespair This RP looks very, very interesting, I gotta say. I really love the concept! Sounds like it could be incredibly fun!

I'd like to join in if I could. :D

Character: Hazel Velvet

Role: Healer (although I was also considering Warrior...)

As for the changes made to my character... hmm... I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it yet. I might need some time to figure out what would be a fun little twist for Hazel as a character. But hey, if you have any suggestions at all, it would be awesome! I'll take them~

Edited by driz
OC name change :v

@Techno Universal

After a thorough review, I have to decline your pony. It's not that it isn't a very creative character, but I have too many questions and concerns with an alicorn submission, and one who is supposed to be a god among ponies at that. Even if he lost abilities and memories the fact is that he originally does not come from any plausible background in a canonical world. He would still be an alicorn and I fear that if put into a sticky situation his abilities or memories would 'suddenly come back to him', he would be immune to attacks because of his body, or simply that when ending the main plot he would become essentially all powerful again and that wouldn't work with what I have planned. My apologies but this isn't the RP for Techno's character.

@driz

I really like the concept of your pony! It has an interesting air to it that I'm sure took a unique creative process. I also like the idea of a childish and cheerful adult being in the party. If you don't mind though, I'd like to make some suggestions to the character before officially accepting it.

First off, the ability to bring life to and connect with a random toy given to her seems a bit much for the start of our RP, so I would like to suggest that she used magic to animate it for her own comfort. It could still have protected her from a dog like in her backstory by taking the bite for her this way. I would be fine with her attending Celestia's school and becoming a seamstress as well given she is driven because of her interest in perhaps creating toys for fillies one day that she can permanently enchant to be fluffy friends of movement for them to enjoy like she does with Rocky. So she could work with a toy store prior to receiving her letter. The wanting to be a doctor seems out of place with the rest of the tale. 

With this in mind I think when it comes time to upgrade, I think she could attempt to animate the toy for comfort and realizes that she can actually make him sentient enough to listen to her orders and act accordingly. He could also increase in size and actually be made of rocks in the shape of a rhino, much like a golem. 

I think this would be a better mage category character, using Rocky as a defense for your comrades. I would just try to think of smaller things to use magic for as well if you do intend to say she attended Celestia's school. This would obviously have made her knowledgeable in enchanting objects at the very least or just think of some defense magics to use. Just try to make them have limits as well. ( Time limits, casting strength, do they not work on specific materials, etc )

• Brohoof 1

@PonyOfDespair

Hmm... To be honest, I don't really think she would be able to enchant other toys and animate them the same way she does with her own plushy. That's something I was planning to make sorta exclusive to her: she can't control other dolls, and other unicorns can't control Mr. Rocky. Her wanting to become a seamstress is really only in favor of stitching up Rocky whenever he's hurt - nothing more than that.

I can't really picture her running a toy store, either... In fact, I kinda already have another OC that actually is a toy maker and owns a toy store, so... :please:

If that's alright, I'd prefer if Hazel was just a student in Celestia's academy prior to receiving the letter. Otherwise, we can totally come up with something else! But yeah, other than that, I'm in agreement! Mage sounds awesome. I promise I won't make her magic overpowered in the slightest~

@PonyOfDespair Yes, I really liked it! I like the idea of the small little plushy suddenly becoming like an actual, monstrous rock rhinoceros. I can imagine so many fun encounters that can emerge from that.

Yay~ I'm excited now. Thank you! :D

• Brohoof 1

@PonyOfDespair Hello! Is this topic still open? If so, I would love to be able to join. I think my pony would be perfect for the healer role if so!

Character Name: Blood Moon

Role: Medic

OC page link:

Additional info: After her change, I think she'd stay mostly the same in terms of how she'd look, but she would shift to being a unicorn so she'll be able to better use her magic. Her magic won't be able to exactly patch up very large wounds, but will be able to stabilize her allies and increase their natural healing rate so most wounds will close on their own after a couple hours or a day depending on the size. Smaller wounds such as shallower cuts can be healed right away, however. She can also gain the ability to create magical medicines that restore one of her allies at a quicker rate than her magic can by its self, but those would be limited.

• Brohoof 2

@Blood Moon

Yes this is still an open topic! Just been waiting for more people to be interested. I really like your character! I like that she's socially awkward and has a peeve about her partial blindness being mentioned, and just having a flaw like that I think is a good thing. I also like that you intend to make her a unicorn. Just the possibilities of her trying to adjust to being a new species sounds awesome! ( Not being able to fly anymore, not needing her usual diet, etc. ) I would like to clarify though that as a bat pony she can't use magic at current and is a foal sitter, and that the healing you mentioned is abilities she will learn when she becomes a unicorn. Otherwise I really like your character and would love to see her fleshed out more in the RP :) 

• Brohoof 1

@Blood Moon Welcome aboard! c:

It's great that you took interest in participating; I really wanted to see this RP take off. I'm sure we'll have a blast! Also, your character is absolutely adorable. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

As an update, I'm going to be using my own character in this RP as well so I'll leave the link to him here so everyone has equal knowledge of my character as well. He's a doctor but a therapist.

His appearance doesn't change when the shift comes but his blood becomes a black hallucinogen and he can heal his own superficial wounds faster than normal. When somepony looks into his eyes for too long they will see their worst fears and anxieties and without his control his eyes will emit a black mist that negatively effects those who get caught up in it. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

...Ah screw it, I guess I'll be throwing in my lot. It's been way too long since I've RP'd on these forums.

Character Name: Tsuneo 

Role: Warrior/Tactician/Constructor

OC page link: Unfortunately, I don't have one! But if you'd like, I'd be happy to give a rundown.

Tsuneo is a komusō, hailing from a foreign land commonly referred to as Japone in these forums. The komusō are mendicants, monks of nothingness, practicing a form of Zen Buddhism once the practice made their way to their land. And once samurai found themselves outlawed, with no further need for a blade, many of them--ronin--decided to join the komusō's ranks, implementing their own teachings to the monks. A bit of a stretch to implement real life history into a character, but I feel like such isn't a stretch considering we know next to nothing about foreign lands in Equestria. Feel free to tweak it as you will; it's your roleplay. 

Tsuneo is an old ronin turned monk, who practices the zen lifestyle of a komusō, but hasn't quite let go of the teachings of a samurai, either. A good balance of the two, he travels as mendicants do, playing his songs for coin, carrying his possessions upon his back...

Additional info: Tsuneo wears foreign garbs, carries three bags on his back, and a bedroll just behind his neck. And of course, has the iconic basket on his head. Sadly, he isn't much of a name to be drawn, considering his humble, drifting nature--but he very well could find himself traveling there regardless, visiting the beach side if only to observe the natural beauty. 

As for change in ability, I think a sudden change in aging would be fun to play for Tsuneo. Slowly growing younger, back into his prime--but perhaps, such very well might be a curse...

---

If this is unsatisfactory, then I can pull out my other character in desperate need of fleshing out, if you'd like. :muffins:

Edited by P-Jay
typo
  • Brohoof 2

@P-Jay  Hey there! I do like the idea of implementing different cultures into this roleplay, but as you said it may be a bit of a stretch when considering how the participants will be summoned and re regulations that would come with allowing a stranger to crash the resort. I also prefer a physical description of characters. I can make alterations but I'm also interested in hearing about this other OC you mentioned needing some fleshing out. If you want to give me a run down of that one as well we can decide on necessary changes and see which is more suited to this adventure.

Oh, by the way... I wanted to ask, @PonyOfDespair, if it would be okay for me to switch characters before we start, maybe? :please:

I've recently polished up another one of my OC's, Trinket, and I wanted to try and use her for this one instead of Hazel. I figured Hazel still needs some work done regarding her powers/magical abilities and that I ought to leave her "out of commission" for a while because of that. Here's Trinket's character page, if you wanna have a look:

I'd say she best fits the role of Constructor, given she works as a mechanic back in her hometown, fixing trains and such. As for her change during the RP, I was thinking a good ol' gender swap would be lots of fun. Simple enough, she becomes a stallion... And that's it, I guess. :catface:

---

Either way, it's up to you if you think either suits best for what you have in mind with the RP.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@driz

This is a splendid character as well :) I'm glad we got the issue addressed before we began. I'd love to see a genderbend in this roleplay! 

My one suggestion in her personality would be this though, if I may give my input:

She seems like a rugged female, work inclined and someone I imagine is a bit like Rainbow Dash. ( Energetic, caring towards Scootaloo/Copper, a hard worker unafraid to get down and dirty, easily bored or fidgety, impulsive, etc. ) All in all she seems very tomboyish and the detail about being devoted to etiquette seems very out of place. Maybe flesh out this tomboyish nature more in the beginning of the RP so we can analyze that when she changes? Or maybe have these characteristics enhanced once she's a stallion? Maybe even have her slowly have a stallion's mindset romantically. Or perhaps she still has the mind of her mare self and it makes her confused having the form of a stallion.

Those are just my thoughts though :)

Edited by PonyOfDespair
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay!

So sorry for the delay, but I found myself without a laptop for a good few days and typing such a long response seemed too daunting to do on mobile. 

Anyways! The latter choice is Prentice. A mage chick, wandering around, comes from a wealthy family so it's no stretch for her to get an invite--although, she's currently abroad in travels. If the invitation would find her, then this doesn't really make much of a problem.

Her application, if she had one:

Character Name: [Firstname] Prentice

Role: Primarily Mage, Tactician, potential for a Constructor

OC page link: :derp:

Additional info: She's an adapt mage, and has potential to become even great, having a broad understanding of magic, her output and mana pool being broad and deep enough to enable her to cast complex, powerful spells. She's part of a 'pureblood' family, one that might even have selective breeding to their name. As a result, she's naturally talented--a little miss perfect when it comes to casting spells; a prodigy.

However, from such a heritage, she's developed something a rare form of genetic disease, one that corrodes her mana pool--and accelerates when she casts magic. As a result, her willingness towards casting magic has dampened, and reserved for when she truly needs to...She houses medicine, that she carries around on hoof, that slows the disease, although at times she'll still break into fits of coughing.

Her appearance is a wide-rimmed wizard's hat, covering most of her features, along with a cloak that provides a perfect traveler's attire, without being too rugged. She has a pair of saddlebags to house her belongings while she's off searching for a cure, and often times, she'll be seen with a necklace--a family heirloom...

As for changes, I'm not sure! I don't want to go with something generic, like swapping genders; nor do I want to do something drastic for her, like curing her illness. I suppose I'll be open to debate, for this bit.

Edited by P-Jay
adding text

(edited)

@P-Jay

Hmm... I think this has better potential than the other one. I can make a couple suggestions on how to change her I believe. Also I just meant like mane and tail and coat and eye colors as far as appearance goes lol.

I suppose a species change would work. Perhaps she still has a dwindling supply of magic but she's become an Umbrum. Like Sombra's species? Not a pony, just a shadow that takes form and uses magic. And maybe this way she can be in shadow mode and not lose mana, but can't physically interact with things unless she takes form and then her disease would progress again?

Edited by PonyOfDespair