Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Sunset draw a comic about Equestria?

Skytower

Back when DC comics first got the character of Captain Marvel from Fawcette comics they published stories of him and  Superman at the same time.  The trick was that they kept both heroes in different universes (for a while, but I won't get into the crisis on infinite Earths) and in Captain Marvel's universe Superman was only a character in comics and in Superman's universe Captain Marvel was just a character in comics.  

I can imagine that Sunset, getting a little homesick, would doodle images from her homeworld and would gradually start to do memories and then stories and eventually a comic strip.  It could be a way of re-connecting with Equestria and letting all her friends know about her homeworld.  

• Brohoof 6

Where to start though?  Founding of the Wondercolts?  

It'd be really fun if we see her trying to draw, failing, getting frustrated and then finding either someone to draw what she writes or teaches her how to draw.  Even more fun if it were Derpy's human equivalent.  

Edited by Skytower

1 hour ago, Skytower said:

Where to start though?  Founding of the Wondercolts?  

It'd be really fun if we see her trying to draw, failing, getting frustrated and then finding either someone to draw what she writes or teaches her how to draw.  Even more fun if it were Derpy's human equivalent.  

Well, she does have at least some artistry skills if "The Art of Friendship" is anything to go by.

But yeah, it would be really fun for her to try and find which way of expressing herself suits her best. Someone please make something of this idea...

Edited by Toon4Thought

18 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

Well, she does have at least some artistry skills if "The Art of Friendship" is anything to go by.

But yeah, it would be really fun for her to try and find which way of expressing herself suits her best. Someone please make something of this idea...

A montage of her drawing MLP characters in various styles would be a lot of fun to see :)  Rubber hose style, Loony Toons (Tex Avery)...  It would be very funny with the right song.

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Skytower said:

A montage of her drawing MLP characters in various styles would be a lot of fun to see :)  Rubber hose style, Loony Toons (Tex Avery)...  It would be very funny with the right song.

That would also be quite cool, especially for someone like me who's interested in the various different animation styles. Have you ever considered writing a one-shot fanfic of some kind about your idea?

24 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

That would also be quite cool, especially for someone like me who's interested in the various different animation styles. Have you ever considered writing a one-shot fanfic of some kind about your idea?

Don't have time at the moment, but the basic outline is there when I get time.  It would start with Sunset wandering past a comic book shop and seeing a Power Rangers comic. Reminded of the power pony comic of her world she'd wander in curious and pick up a few comics.  She'd ponder them for a day or two, then draw a few scenes from home, maybe a strip of her interacting with Celistia, thinking how it will go when they meet again.   One of the other girls sees the drawings and questions her about her home and she does more drawings, eventually showing them to a pro visiting the shop.

That's just off the top of my head, but I think that is how it would go.

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, Skytower said:

Don't have time at the moment, but the basic outline is there when I get time.  It would start with Sunset wandering past a comic book shop and seeing a Power Rangers comic. Reminded of the power pony comic of her world she'd wander in curious and pick up a few comics.  She'd ponder them for a day or two, then draw a few scenes from home, maybe a strip of her interacting with Celistia, thinking how it will go when they meet again.   One of the other girls sees the drawings and questions her about her home and she does more drawings, eventually showing them to a pro visiting the shop.

Well, for something off the top of your head, it sounds dang good.

Sunset has proven to be quite the artist given one of the summertime shorts was dedicated to painting--The Art of Friendship--so I can definitely see her wanting to draw a comic. It does depend if she can remember those past experiences in Equestria or wants to remember them as surely they aren't the most pleasant of things. 

9 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Another interesting plot would be if someone from Equestria (another of Starswirl's exiles? Or Starswirl himself?) saw the comic and tracked Sunset down.

2 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Sunset has proven to be quite the artist given one of the summertime shorts was dedicated to painting--The Art of Friendship--so I can definitely see her wanting to draw a comic. It does depend if she can remember those past experiences in Equestria or wants to remember them as surely they aren't the most pleasant of things. 

She could remember and 'edit' them to show herself as the heroine :)

Edited by Skytower
  • Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Skytower said:

She could remember and 'edit' them to show herself as the heroine :)

This is true and would be within good reason.

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

This is true and would be within good reason.

Might be some interesting questions if pony Twilight saw them :)  But at Sunset's command is the history of an entire world with multiple cultures and races.  Not only races but species and all of them are living more or less in peace together.  I could see her building a fan following on this land the way JK did with Harry or Tolkein did with LoTR, at least in the context of the human world she now finds herself in, a world that has no idea Equestria even exists.  It's amazing when you think of it this way: Sunset's former reality and history is to the people in the world she is now living in complete fantasy.  If the comic took off she could be hailed as a great fantasist writer when in truth she would be writing about the reality she came from.  How would she feel about that?  Guilty when other fantasy writers as 'what is your secret'?  Happy that her world has such an attraction to the human one?  This would be a great way to explore her feelings and thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/8/2017 at 1:17 AM, Steve Piranha said:

Maybe she could make a living writing stories inspired by Equestria. Keyword: INSPIRED, as I don't think she'll explain that there are pony counterparts in an alternate world :dash: 

She wouldn't have to.  After all only the other students at CHS know about Equestria and from the looks of things they aren't telling anyone.  Sunset would just be another author/artist who draws a fantasy world, only a few would know that it was true.  It might become some sort of literary legend, like Francis Bacon writing the works of Shakespeare, or the theory that Tolkien found old translations of "There and Back again".