Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Demons in equestria?

Biohazarddallas

So I just saw on the wiki that demons are an actual creature in FIM. And I was wondering to what extent do you guys think they are present in the world of the show. (Considering that literal hell is an actual place there.) Are there demons in Tartarus? Are they able to possess ponies? Any attempt to answer these is appreciated for something I'm working on. 

Depends on "What do you mean by Demons?".  In Christianity, demons & devils were originally angels.  They rebelled against God & were driven from Heaven by "The fury of the angels" (always liked that phrase). Then, they became demons & devils (IDK how), but could be redeemed by repenting.

That being said, the Nightmare, the Tantabus, & maybe Windigos are like demons minus the connection to a Christian God.  Still, IMO they are more like my understanding of the Muslim concept of Djinn.

• Brohoof 2

Well, they could introduce a demonic villain who is the feared lord of darkness whom Celestia and Luna barely defeated centuries ago. Cliched? Maybe, but let's face it. At this point, Celestia and Luna could have defeated the Titans a thousand years ago (no, not the Titans from Attack on Titan, the Titans from Greek Mythology). No, I'm not talking about Sombra.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Biohazarddallas said:

So I just saw on the wiki that demons are an actual creature in FIM.

Eh, maybe G1, I don't think the word "Demon" has ever been used in FIM; Equestria girls, yeah, but that's a human universe and only was used in regards to twilight and Sunset's transformations.

Demons are usually bound to religion, so I would say that there are no demons in Equestria.

Now, being a world populated with magical and mythical creatures, I'd say that creatures such as Tirek, the Sirens and Wendigos may be considered "demons" from our human perspective, just not in universe.

That makes me wonder... How would the girls from the EQG franchise (which are supposed to be humans) categorize the diversity of creatures in Equestria if they crossed the portal?

11 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

Demons are usually bound to religion, so I would say that there are no demons in Equestria.

I don't know, there's generally a couple defining traits that can cause people to classify certain mythological creatures as "demons" across different religions; If its an evil spirit associated with the afterlife or netherworld, most people will accept the classification of "demon" fairly well as an acceptable term.

So if there's any beings in Equestria that are malevolent and reside in the afterlife, I think "demon" would be a term that ponies might use to describe them, Earth-equestria similarities holding true.

• Brohoof 1