Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Video Game Patches/Updates

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

These days, with many games comes patches and update. The age of the internet allows devs to add more to their game post release or even make fixes to things they missed during development, sometimes to a terrible degree.

This thread can be for telling us about anything patch or update related. Any games you play that have been updated recently? Did it add or fix anything? Or did it do the opposite and break stuff? How devs do that is beyond me. Are there any games you play that actually are in need of patching up? Anything related to these things can be brought up.

For me, a game that was desperately in need of patching was Killing Floor 2 on Xbox One. The game suffered from crashes and random disconnects for no reason and this went unaddressed for well over a month. Then they added the Halloween update, which was nearly 13gb in size and it seems to have fixed most issues. Most. The crashes are fixed, which, that's the most important thing, but there is an achievement that still doesn't work at all and some inventory loading issues sometimes, though logging out and back in fixes that. The update added new items and weapons as well, so despite a couple of missed things, the update is highly appreciated.

• Brohoof 1

Well Paladins is about to get another update (Gets one every two weeks). Grohk will actually be usable now, and Drogoz won't be AS broken. Nonetheless it was a pretty bad patch that basically got rid of Ash's main legendary card, nerfed Ruckus even further down the drain, and all the while completely ignoring several problems with the game's balancing that people have been complaining about since about 5 or 6 patches ago.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi
  • Brohoof 1

Well That all depends on the current conditions of the game such as bugs and glitches, the number of complaints, bad, and negative reviews. To start off what I know so far, here's what I'm finding so far

Maple Story (PC) - Too much bugs and glitches. The company, Nexon are too slow on fixing these bugs and glitches and people can't abide nexon's time on fixing these bugs and glitches. What My friend told me in game is that every time when new updates are being released, they bring out the potential bugs and it takes too long for nexon to fix them up and the estimate day for the maintenance that I know about is every week on Thursdays. It's pretty much this game needs a lot of patching

Pokémon Duel (iOS and android) - Well me and my friend have been hoping for a adjustment on overused and/or overpowered pokemon because we're starting to find these kind of things are making the matches much harder to win. We're hoping for mew, rhyperior, blaziken, combusken, tapu koko, and ghost-types (since there's too much infiltrator effects from the ability). Based on the negative reviews, it's most likely that that overpowered pokemon are ruining the matches and makes it difficult to win so what needs to be patched up in this game was the pokemon I mentioned, restricting the same pokemon regardless of species, forms, and evolution including limiting them to the deck as well to make the matches fair for other people

Yo-Kai Watch wibble wobble (iOS and android) - There's too much luck in this game, but it's most likely that lucky / oni crank-a-kai to be fixed because most people that are playing this game are getting sick and tired of getting the same yo-kais over and over from lucky / oni crank-a-kai till we get what we want. Based on what I know the game is lacking the international player base needs and these play condition and no continue stages are becoming quite difficult to handle even if the yo-kai is overpowered, then the chances of getting them are quite slim without getting some helpful yo-kais to would help beat these kind of stages and I hate to get the yo-kai at the last hour at the last day because that won't give me enough time to get the yo-kai I need. The Drop rate for lucky / oni crank-a-kai doesn't even do anything as I know about even when the lucky gauge meter is full, we always end up getting Rank A or lower yo-kais instead of rank S and SS yo-kais which it made us players mad about it. As of scramble battle goes, well it's hard to compete against players that are aiming for top5 because of these pay-2-winners and there are no breaks for them. For Score attack, I have no problems with it. I would say it's pretty much that this game needs patching.

Well, TF2 recently had it's biggest update in years which added a ton of new cosmetics and several Pyro unlocks and plenty of contracts and new maps. It's pretty good so far, especially since TF2 updates over the past few years have been relatively lackluster.

20 hours ago, Celli said:

Well, TF2 recently had it's biggest update in years which added a ton of new cosmetics and several Pyro unlocks and plenty of contracts and new maps. It's pretty good so far, especially since TF2 updates over the past few years have been relatively lackluster.

From what I've seen it's better than every update since End of the Line, but I'm still disappointed. Spy's suffering because of the Pyro buffs, Pyro's are supposedly more annoying than before, and a lot of the maps were designed in a lackluster way (Mostly got this from an ArraySeven video on it).

3 hours ago, Phil Swift said:

From what I've seen it's better than every update since End of the Line, but I'm still disappointed. Spy's suffering because of the Pyro buffs, Pyro's are supposedly more annoying than before, and a lot of the maps were designed in a lackluster way (Mostly got this from an ArraySeven video on it).

I don't know about Spy because I don't play him, and the maps I've really enjoyed, I think that's a subjective thing. As for Pyro, he's been given the shaft since day 1 and his flamethrower was always inconsistent which they finally fixed after 10 years. They also changed Pyro's afterburn, you can't just puff and run anymore, the time afterburn lasts depends on how long you hold the flamethrower on the enemy for. As for his new weapons, the only one that I can kind of see as annoying is the Dragon's Fury which is basically a bigger and more powerful flare gun. 

Also the new contract system is really good. You can choose what contracts to unlock, but you are still rewarded with locked cases, but you get war paint instead of weapon skins. And tiered cosmetic crates as well. Pyro's weapons you can obtain for free, with his contracts, which don't require a paid pass.

Personally, I hate the standard nowadays where companies release unfinished or buggy games with the mindset of "We'll just patch it later!" Assassin's Creed: Unity face-glitch anyone? It says something when, out of my top games of the year, I can only recall one or two that weren't buggy and crash-prone. What happened to the old days when a game actually had to be finished before it was released?   

Enough of my whining, one game I play a ton of that got a major update was Gems of War. It smoothed out the graphics, made things run smoother and overhauled a ton of things, for better or for worse. Even weeks later, some of the graphics are missing and one of the major modes was busted entirely until a few days ago.  

On 10/30/2017 at 3:26 PM, PoisonClaw said:

Personally, I hate the standard nowadays where companies release unfinished or buggy games with the mindset of "We'll just patch it later!" Assassin's Creed: Unity face-glitch anyone? It says something when, out of my top games of the year, I can only recall one or two that weren't buggy and crash-prone. What happened to the old days when a game actually had to be finished before it was released?   

It mainly comes down to the publisher, or specifically their shareholders, that want new games to be pushed out in a "timely" manner. 

Also, the developers, under publisher pressure or not, will need to meet their release dates. The livelihood of the developers depends on that game being on the market. This is actually something that came up during development of Project CARS 2. It was accidently mentioned that it would be releasing in late September, which they did meet. But, it wasn't 100% polished, and it required a Day 1 patch. They pretty much had to do that.

That whole experience of being a part of a beta really did show me how a game is made, and how the game industry works these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Call of Duty WW2 had a 1GB patch last night, supposedly meant to fix things. Honestly, I am not sure what exactly was fixed. Obviously some behind the scenes things, but it seems this update did very little to fix some obvious issues. The HQ for example, still doesn't work as intended a week after launch. They did adjust the damage of the Bren LMG to make it a bit stronger, which is appreciated as that thing prior to this update was the worst weapon in the game. Now it seems a bit better, but I need to test it more. Also after this update, at least for a short while, the game was really freaking out. It had difficulty connecting, at one point counting down to a match in an endless loop, and it had some extreme lag in a lobby of 5 people at one point.

While I am enjoying the game so far for what it is, this patch reminds me of the continued incompetence of the the CoD developers. They get 3 years now to make these games, games that are mostly copy and paste anyways, and yet they still launch with these problems. Really bothers me.

• 3 years later...