Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Is there an app for this?

Specti

As much as I love this site so far I can't write appreciate the mobel support on some devices. All memes aside, if there is an app for this it would be nice to know. Also if there isn't I could help make one, I'm going into the field of computer science and with the aid of Visual Studio and Google I would probably be able to make one over the course of a few months that would make the world allot better for mobel users. 

58 minutes ago, Specti said:

As much as I love this site so far I can't write appreciate the mobel support on some devices. All memes aside, if there is an app for this it would be nice to know. Also if there isn't I could help make one, I'm going into the field of computer science and with the aid of Visual Studio and Google I would probably be able to make one over the course of a few months that would make the world allot better for mobel users. 

There is no mobile application. Creating an application based around an IPS created platform is not only challenging and possibly a waste of time (you only have a few active third party offerings, none good  ... and there is a reason for that), but there is a financial consequence that this site likely could not afford. When you have a site that is financially driven by ad revenue creating a mobile app is the worst solution out there. Equestria Daily found that out the hard way. Ad revenue fell off a cliff when their mobile app became popular. Add dwindling traffic and Google screwing with the metrics for AdSense in to the equation ... bad idea. 

Also, creating multiple new platforms that need to be maintained is never a smart idea when your organization is volunteer driven unless you have a deep well of development resources. 

This site is also run by several talented CS Students and Professionals. I believe the best use of their time would be to identify how they could make the site even more mobile friendly instead. 

That said, if you are talented in web development, perhaps talk to @tinker or @Feld0 to see if there is a fit for you on the team. 

Personally, a mobile app for Pony.FM and Equestria.TV would be far more useful and value added. 

• Brohoof 4

Ooh, Pony.FM mobile app. That would be nice... We have an unfinished PonyvilleLive! cross-platform app (Xamarin) too, that's looking for developers.

Heya Specti! I really love your enthusiasm, but for all the reasons put forth by @Jeric, you might find making mobile app for IPS Community Suite (we're running v4) that's more than just an embedded WebView to be a bit of an undertaking. That said, if you would like to try, we'd love to see what you can come up with.

What development path were you thinking?

• Brohoof 2

The play around with it until it works well with phones... path, I've never done a website to app before, but I've done websites, programs and apps before so how hard can it be. (very hard probably.) i'm more guessing it would be resizing each page to fit appropriately on phones, smaller text and not having the menu in your face a majority of the time. I'm also guessing i'm going to have to learn a lot while doing this that will prep me for collage classes next year. although I can't exactly promise I'll ever get it done its more of a happy thought that my more generous brain had. This is my first time writing script like this so I made sure to state "a few months" for a reason when it could end up taking years now that I'm in my left brain. (also known as the right mind but not the right brain.) Anyways, If I do end up going through with this I'd leave all the account detail (logging in) to you guys because you probably shouldn't and aren't trusting a person who has been on this site for less than a week.

The plan for now is to just make it readable on phone using visual studio's ability to create apps. I'm not sure how I am going to do it 'yet' I'd probably have to use the html of the web pages and adjust them so it could match, the real difficult part of this would probably be making the app actually update with the website but i'll cross that bridge if I get to it. I'll keep you updated on any progress I make on this form. 

P.S. Yes I do have grammar problems, I'm not just a three year old typing, its a medical condition.

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Ooh, Pony.FM mobile app. That would be nice... We have an unfinished PonyvilleLive! cross-platform app (Xamarin) too

Not a bad call. I freely admit that C# has to absolutely help in simplifying and accelerating mobile development (says the dyed in the wool C++/Java/Swift guy). Haven't tooled around in Xamarin's IDE, but you actually piqued my curiosity enough to check it out myself. 

• Brohoof 1