spoiler Anybody tired of the same season endings?

Unity

9 hours ago, Jeric said:

Are you just here to post controversial topics? If so, you picked the wrong group of people. Not sure if you noticed but it's damn near impossible to get some of these guys all hot and bothered. They will humor you for a while, then ignore you. It may serve you better to relax a little when someone points out the flaws in your logic, as @Prospekt, @ShootingStar159, @WiiGuy2014 did phenomenally well. 

Anyway, there is a Season Premier, and a Series Premier. Though they are not completely disjoint, they have different definitions. Same with Season Finale and Series Finale. 

The finales are not repetitive, but your OP seems to be focusing on only one element of the narrative instead of a comprehensive evaluation of all of the elements of style and storytelling functions. It's as pedestrian as suggesting that the finales are all the same because they have pastel ponies. There are elements that echo, so to speak, but the key variations are unique enough to allow each finale to stand on it's own. 

Season 1 Finale - No Redemption

Season 2 Finale - No Redemption

Season 3 Finale - No Redemption

Season 4 Finale - No Redemption

Season 5 Finale - Redemption

Season 6 Finale - No main villain Redemption but species redemption

Season 7 Finale - Redemption, but arguably not Stygian's fault entirely and one half of him was not redeemed. 

If it doesn't happen at least half the time is it accurate to call it a tradition?

It's a new tradition m8

14 minutes ago, ShiftyLips69 said:

It's a new tradition m8

Still not buying it. Accounting for the last three years you have Redemption - No Redemption - Ambiguous Misunderstanding. At the very least you gotta have consistency. That Season 6 finale kills the argument. 

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Still not buying it. Accounting for the last three years you have Redemption - No Redemption - Ambiguous Misunderstanding. At the very least you gotta have consistency. That Season 6 finale kills the argument. 

Well if you look at the season 1 finale, it isn't necessarily a two-part epic adventure like the rest, so if you don't count it, then the redemption finales account for half of the overall finales

G R A S S.jpg

9 minutes ago, ShiftyLips69 said:

Well if you look at the season 1 finale, it isn't necessarily a two-part epic adventure like the rest, so if you don't count it, then the redemption finales account for half of the overall finales

Your math is wrong. Removing Season 1 you still have Season 5's unique approach and Season 7's ambiguity. Most won't count Season 5 as a redemption episode so it still favors a lack of a main villain redemption. 

Season 7 Finale - Redemption, but arguably not Stygian's fault entirely and one half of him was not redeemed. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Your math is wrong. Removing Season 1 you still have Season 5's unique approach and Season 7's ambiguity. Most won't count Season 5 as a redemption episode so it still favors a lack of a main villain redemption. 

Alright, I see what you mean, but let's not forget that the word "Redemption" is in the last three seasons of your list, so while most people might not count 5's finale as a redemption, the list does, and the list would never lie, making your argument invalid, C A S E closed m8.

Image of grass:

G R A S S.jpg

What do you expect from the show about colorful horse learning about friendship? A Gainax ending? Think about the children, you guys, what difference between kids show and adult show even they are put in same settings?! Kids shows have happy endings :oneheckofahat:

Yeah, the reformation is meta now, i know people frustration, reformation is the most effective tactic available of ponies now, if they keep doing that in S8 finale, it would be too predictable.

It really weird that the movie has reformation a few months ago before S7 finale which had reformation as well...

No, I am not, the formula for two parters usually big bad threatens the lives of the heroes, and they overcome obstacles to defeat them, they are mostly nothing alike aside from a rough outline.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:22 PM, ShiftyLips69 said:

Alright, I see what you mean, but let's not forget that the word "Redemption" is in the last three seasons of your list, so while most people might not count 5's finale as a redemption, the list does, and the list would never lie, making your argument invalid, C A S E closed m8.

Image of grass:

G R A S S.jpg

Yes but the season 7 finale wasn't a real redemption, Sygian wasn't the bad guy, he was being possessed mostly.

• Brohoof 1

I've said it before, Season 7 finale could have done with a three part instead of the standard two part episodes. Draw out the backstory of the pillars more.

Season 6 could have been a three parter if anyone wants to see an episode where the Mane 6 lose.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a cold closer similar to Season one with the Grand Galloping Gala. IT built up this event over three episode and wasn't some epic villain fight. Which is why i enjoy seaosn seven openers. I didn't have any huge bang or anything it just continued where it left off.

8 hours ago, Singe said:

I've said it before, Season 7 finale could have done with a three part instead of the standard two part episodes. Draw out the backstory of the pillars more.

I"d argue you dont need more info on the pillars, we get just enough from the episodes we got with them in it. Given it 7! new characters in one episode there simply be no time or reaosn to develpe characters we may never see again.  Budget and season legnth are finite and in stone far in advance.

A lot of the two-parters do have a similar trajectory to that, but you’re pretty close to the point where they start trying to experiment with that formula a bit. I do think that formula you mention is kinda built into the show’s themes, and the show never really moves away from the power of friendship prevailing, but it’s a nice theme. I do think the two-parters share a lot of elements, though, and I’d like the show to try something different.