Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Most overrated Heavy Metal Band/Artists and/or songs

Miss

I'm talking about bands/artists/songs/albums etc. that are critically praised by many, but are really not. 

Tbh I would say while I love Korn I would put them as not all that replayable. I def. respect what they started, but most of their songs are just like I'll listen to it once and then I'm good for a year XD

Metallica's Black Album obviously. Pretty many would agree with that, that maybe I should even be able to say it XD

System of a Down's Steal This Album is also not that great. Many see all their albums as solid af (and they're my 2nd fav band), but this album seriously is not really replayable. 

I would also say Judas Preist. I mean I'm not denying their influence at all. They're def. legends, but I just find their music kinda boring. 

- Avenged Sevenfold.

- Metallica.

- Slipknot.

- Linkin Park.

- Slayer.

- Pantera.

- Iron Maiden.

I don't agree with "overrated" as a criticism because it's actually lazy as hell, but basically any mainstream heavy/thrash band (like Metallica, Linkin Park, Slayer, Slipknot, Pantera, and so on) are all very much a product of their time. They've all aged like milk. When I go back and listen to them all the music just bleeds together and nothing feels unique.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Annie said:

I don't agree with "overrated" as a criticism because it's actually lazy as hell, but basically any mainstream heavy/thrash band (like Metallica, Linkin Park, Slayer, Slipknot, Pantera, and so on) are all very much a product of their time. They've all aged like milk. When I go back and listen to them all the music just bleeds together and nothing feels unique.

Oh yea obviously that's why I added a lil bit of extended criticism down below. It's ponies choice whether they want to go in depth on why a band isn't all that great as other people view them as. 

On 2/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, Thrashman said:

A lot of Metallica's best stuff came out when Cliff Burton was around. Not to downplay the albums following Master of Puppets, but Burton was irreplaceable as a bassist. 

My fav Metallica album is ...And Justice for All but and 3rd fav is Death Magnetic. But Burton was pretty awesome 

• Brohoof 1

Metallica aren't worth the praise they've gotten all these years. They've built their name and are coasting off the legacy of their first 5 records and the fact they popularized the thrash sound. If they never released another album after 1990, they'd be just as popular. They'd essentially go through guns n' roses syndrome. 

Speaking of Gn'R, why are they popular after only relesing 6 albums over 30 years? If anything has aged like milk, it's Axl. Their sound, like many of their contemporaries such as poison, Def leppard and motley crue are distinctly rooted in 80s culture, and are coasting off the succsess of one or two hit albums. Even the genre of glam metal as a whole is overrated. While the 80s sound of thrash has managed to span generations, the same cannot be said for glam metal. 

Seems like the big name bands are given all sorts of accolades for being innovators at some point, even if later material doesn't make any waves. Metalica, Gn'R, Korn, all popularized new movements, but fans flock to them based on what they started, not what they've done since. You can cover all these bands with one word: nostalgia. 

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't call Linkin Park a Heavy Metal band. Over the years they're music as been a mix of Rock, Pop, Rap, Electronic, and probably some other styles that are slipping my mind right now. 

Really guys? This topic has a specific purpose; please do not drag it down with petty back-and-forth arguments. If a band is mentioned here you don't need to get defensive about it. This discussion is not the place.

And please keep this on-topic; period.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Really guys? This topic has a specific purpose; please do not drag it down with petty back-and-forth arguments. If a band is mentioned here you don't need to get defensive about it. This discussion is not the place.

And please keep this on-topic; period.

Thank you.

Sorry.

Hm..hard to say, since rock are pretty much dying these days and being taken over by  half-baked pop "musics."

Never seen the hype for In This Moment, if they count. I don't think the vocalist is anywhere near as good as people say she is. Plus a lot of the focus is on her and the rest of the group gets lost in the back. I also never liked Slayer. Their vocals really ruin all of the potential because it drones out the rest of the music. Then there's Cannibal Corpse, which is of course death metal territory. So friggin overrated. They are insanely tryhard, so much that it hurts.