Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question about Sunset and Starlight

squee333

Sunset appears to be into science to a degree, yes. Not really introverted no. Starlight is also studious, but there isn't much to go off of showing her into non-magical science. She isn't introverted as much as socially awkward from time to time. Actually her main hesitation with people has to do when characters aren't strangers and she has fears of judgement or distance. 

Also, where have you taken Twilight? Bring her back!

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Jeric said:

Sunset appears to be into science to a degree, yes. Not really introverted no. Starlight is also studious, but there isn't much to go off of showing her into non-magical science. She isn't introverted as much as socially awkward from time to time. Actually her main hesitation with people has to do when characters aren't strangers and she has fears of judgement or distance. 

Also, where have you taken Twilight? Bring her back!

Not me, Timber Spruce.

Sunset does have some science-ie knowledge, as we saw in the short, “The Science of Magic,” probably a result of being Celestia’s student, and the no doubt expansive education she would have received. Starlight, on the other hand, has only shown an interest and ability for magic. While I certainly hope Twilight is trying to broaden her horizons, I doubt we’ll ever see much interest from Starlight in fields outside the magical.

Sunset is a pretty easy extrovert, but I also believe Starlight is one as well. She just has abandonment issues and an almost nuerotic fear of rejection that kept her from trusting others for most of her life. As a result, she’s socially anxious and awkward, and her hobbies and passions are largely solitary (magic study and kite flying). Still, the fact that she apparently hated being alone so much she built a village ‘utopia’ where she could have friends without fear of abandonment makes me think she’s not an introvert who’s comfortable alone with her own thoughts, she craves personal interaction with others. Like at the end of Every Little Thing She Does, where Dash says the final step of ‘chillaxing’ is quiet, Starlight makes it all of five seconds before she asks how long they have to be silent. And when I think of it that way, it’s kind of a scary thought, an extrovert who’s afraid of interacting with others.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

She just has abandonment issues and an almost nuerotic fear of rejection that kept her from trusting others for most of her life. As a result, she’s socially anxious and awkward, and her hobbies and passions are largely solitary (magic study and kite flying). Still, the fact that she apparently hated being alone so much she built a village ‘utopia’ where she could have friends without fear of abandonment makes me think she’s not an introvert who’s comfortable alone with their own thoughts, she craves personal interaction with others. Like at the end of Every Little Thing She Does, where Dash says the final step of ‘chillaxing’ is quiet, Starlight makes it all of five seconds before she asks how long they have to be silent. And when I think of it that way, it’s kind of a scary thought, an extrovert who’s afraid of interacting with others.

That pretty much describes me in a nutshell:  ENTP on the Meyer-Briggs personality matrix, but due to having horrible social skills due to a combination of ADHD & parents who were proud introverts who lived in the middle of nowhere, I was constantly rejected & bullied by my peers from Kindergarten all the way up to when I graduated high school, and as a result, I've developed similar issues with fear or rejections & fear of interacting with others due to said fear of rejection. 

I've been seeing a therapist for the past almost 2 years to help overcome these issues, but I wonder sometimes if I ever will...

Still, this is one of the reasons why Starlight is my favorite character, due to the fact that I can fully understand & sympathize with her insecurities & fears (although at least I can say I never tried to brainwash large groups of people into accepting enforced mediocrity)....

• Brohoof 1

Sunset has been shown to enjoy science--the Friendship Games short "The Science of Magic" is an example of this where she uses various scientific devices in order to test the magic of the others--but not to the same level as Sci-Twi and perhaps even Twilight herself. Also, Sunset preferred getting her hands dirty by going out into the field and witnessing things rather than read about it in a book. In terms of being an introvert or an extrovert, she is clearly the latter.

Starlight is also an extrovert though she struggles with forging friendships given what happened to her in the past. But, she has been showing steady progress under Twilight's tutelage and will no doubt continue to make those important improvements. I'd say her love of magic is akin to loving science and even rivals Twilight's obvious obsession with learning more complicated spells and incantations. Yet Starlight can be considered a prodigy on account of casting spells most unicorns could never be capable of doing.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...