Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to attract players to an RP?

GreenGreenWhirlWind

So lately i've started an OOC topic for a new RP, and just like my last one, it suffered from a lack of players that stopped it from actually starting.

Despite recieving a arge amount of views, both RPs only had one player sign up to them, which wasn't enough to start the RP since i was looking for at least two players of more. So my question is: how do i make an RP that people will actually want to play? I'd really like to know what i'm doing wrong, since the RPs i make here have the same style as the ones i'd make in the Sonic Rainboom forum, a brazilian MLP forum that also has an RP session, and even thought Sonic Rainboom has less members than this forum, i never had that problem there, i honestly don't understand what's going wrong.

I think it more has to do what each person prefers, everybody everypony has a different preference for what they like, from what I know of experience, the title alone doesn't justify the means in someone wanting to join the RP so to say. It is really all about the topic and hence why many people view it. They will want to join if they feel like joining the RP, and if they don't like it, then they don't join.

Though there is one thing you should know, don't try to *perfectionize* your RP in the hopes that people will join faster because, in the end, you will only end up creating the thing that you might not like yourself. Personally what I recommend, only create an RP that YOU like yourself, and let other people decide if they feel like joining to, it might sound weird at first,  but I know from firsthand experience that you don't want to be playing an RP that you don't want to be in.

And lastly, sometimes people do join the RP's of a specific person alot, but that is because said person would be known for his type of RP style and writing, and many other things like character design, story buildup etc. People would feel like joining that person because they like the way he writes his reply's and other things, every person has a different way that makes their rp's compelling. But don't get me wrong though, there is always room to improve, just don't try to overdo it with the whole wanting to make it more appealing thing.

I have always, for example, liked the way @Raven Rawne writes his rp's, because he really gives you that immersive feeling, something you would read in a very detailed fanfic or book.

But if gathering people for your rp doesn't work out well for you, you could always just start 1x1 rp's with people as well, just ask someone via pm, i am very comfortable with that method myself :)

Edited by Mickey Adaptus

Well, for once, I see that the OOC you linked has one feature that most, if not all other "regular" rp's in here lack.

Stats.

I mean, you are, perhaps with good intentions, proposing a system like Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer Roleplay but, you see, you are the only person who knows the system and, without tossing a rulebook at any would-be players, it feels, at least, in my view, that, as a player, I will be going blind into something I may find limiting or outright broken, thus making a strain on them to continue the RP if they won't like it.

So this is issue number one. I have ran a few roleplays and not even one had stats or an actual combat system, just common sense (or lack thereof) to work it out. And there comes this nifty little thing of rolls. Who rolls the dice? Do the players have to wait for the DM to roll it, or do it themselves? If someone keeps getting 6 for critical success every time, does it mean they're cheating? These are all important issues that, without adressing them in the opening post, will make any would-be players doubt in this project. Because let's face it, there is a finite amount of players in here who can handle only so much roleplays at once, thus, they may get picky which one to join.

If you aim for a more tabletop-like play, I strongly encourage you to to lay the rulebook down on the proberbial table and let he players read it. it's not ulike buying stuff - you want to know what it does and what it's made of, not just where to sign the receipt and pay up.

6 hours ago, Raven Rawne said:

Well, for once, I see that the OOC you linked has one feature that most, if not all other "regular" rp's in here lack.

Stats.

I mean, you are, perhaps with good intentions, proposing a system like Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer Roleplay but, you see, you are the only person who knows the system and, without tossing a rulebook at any would-be players, it feels, at least, in my view, that, as a player, I will be going blind into something I may find limiting or outright broken, thus making a strain on them to continue the RP if they won't like it.

So this is issue number one. I have ran a few roleplays and not even one had stats or an actual combat system, just common sense (or lack thereof) to work it out. And there comes this nifty little thing of rolls. Who rolls the dice? Do the players have to wait for the DM to roll it, or do it themselves? If someone keeps getting 6 for critical success every time, does it mean they're cheating? These are all important issues that, without adressing them in the opening post, will make any would-be players doubt in this project. Because let's face it, there is a finite amount of players in here who can handle only so much roleplays at once, thus, they may get picky which one to join.

If you aim for a more tabletop-like play, I strongly encourage you to to lay the rulebook down on the proberbial table and let he players read it. it's not ulike buying stuff - you want to know what it does and what it's made of, not just where to sign the receipt and pay up.

Here's the thing though: in one of the RPs i made i pretty much copy-pasted the rulebook for the system i was using(Mighty Blade) onto the topic and it still didn't seem to work out. But i'll take what you said into consideration and try to leave a link to leave a link to the rulebook next time.

As for stats and rolls, i really have a hard time running an RP without them because, when it comes to DMing, i try my best to make things as fair and balanced as possible, and incorporating those aspects into the game are the best way to accomplish that as far as i know. I could just rely on my common sense for that, sure, but as a human being i'm inherently partial and biased, and as such relying solely on my "common sense" often just doesn't bode well with me.

Either way, thank you for your help.

Thanks for taking my input into consideration. Now, I see your point, incorporating some semblance of rules does increase the overall fairness of the RP, and, in a session based system when all parties are present in real time it would work pretty well. However, post based RP comes with it's own peculiar characteristics. The players usually co-create the game environment by filling the gaps in the broad picture painted by the DM. Mainly as means of speeding things up as waiting for clearance in OOC may take several days. Now, there are players who would be okay with your take on handling a roleplay, nay, even prefer it but, perhaps, the root cause lies in lack of "tabletop-y" players on the forums rather than any inherent flaw in your approach. Personally, I lean towards this explanation since I have seen a few attempts to usher in structured roleplay systems based off Pathfinder and D&D. Needless to say, they all withered into obscurity without a single run on the site.

• Brohoof 1