Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A totally random scientific question for y'all

Discordian

We haven't reached the optics unit in physics yet, but I think I know why that is.

A truly transparent object would be completely invisible, as it would not obstruct light passing through it at all. The particles in something like glass allow most of the light to travel through, but still absorb a number of them. A small number, yes, but still something. Even air, which is usually accepted as transparent, becomes difficult to see through once you've got 50,000 km of it stacked up (e.g.: the atmosphere).

But again, my formal education in optical physics is quite limited, so this is purely my own hypothesis.

• Brohoof 3

Cause it's never completely see through. Let's say it's at it's thinnest, so 0.0000...1 percent of light is blocked, though it may be imperceptible. As it gets thicker, more light is blocked, so in theory, if you had the impossible 100 percent thick piece, no light could come through.

Ninja'd. Oh well. Now stop troll science-ing us.

Edited by THEj
  • Brohoof 2

I never got past Biology in school, I wanted to get into Physics and Philosophy but Biology was a prerequisite and I sucked at Biology. :(

Thank you for the answers, at least I understand it. xD

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...