Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Finland (and other streaming services) suddenly following Canada's footsteps?

Jon the VGNerd

Look, I love Finland a lot, even though I never visited there. However, It seems two days ago it released a number of unreleased episodes all at once, instead of, oh I don't know, keeping a steady schedule for Saturday showings as usual? Even in Canada they released two episodes each day from Season 7, which became a total spoiler-fest. Unless other streams from other countries stop airing unreleased episodes without the risk of spoiling fans from other continents, including the US, those early releases isn't surely gonna win the fans without obvious spoilers raining down.

I just wish they could just stick with the normal schedule instead of jumping the gun suddenly, just like in Season 7. :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

The MLP airing schedule has been a mess for years now. :P Canada, Australia and the UK have all aired episodes before their American premiere, but it's even weirder when dubbed versions air before the English ones – it happened earlier in Poland and Russia and now in Finland. It seems to me that Hasbro doesn't even care anymore. :lol:

• Brohoof 4

21 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

The MLP airing schedule has been a mess for years now. :P Canada, Australia and the UK have all aired episodes before their American premiere, but it's even weirder when dubbed versions air before the English ones – it happened earlier in Poland and Russia and now in Finland. It seems to me that Hasbro doesn't even care anymore. :lol:

It's really strange even that in the UK got it first to begin with, it takes till about August-November for new seasons to get here!

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

Don't tell me we're going to get MORE leaks..........

They just need to get a simple schedule and stick to it, they ruin for everyone when they start spamming out episodes way ahead of their projected release dates :unamused: 

Not to mention that its streaming site, Ruusto (I think?) aired four, unreleased episodes all at ONCE from two days ago. It seems this is creating a lot of problems especially for the mainland US that are waiting for every Saturday's new episodes whereas other countries are intentionally airing said unreleased episodes ahead of time, regardless of the consequences they're bringing.

• Brohoof 2

This maybe an issue for us. 

But is it one for the target demographic? I don't think the 4-12 year Olds care all that much about episode order, as long as the colorful horseys still get aired. 

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

Not to mention that its streaming site, Ruusto (I think?) aired four, unreleased episodes all at ONCE from two days ago. It seems this is creating a lot of problems especially for the mainland US that are waiting for every Saturday's new episodes whereas other countries are intentionally airing said unreleased episodes ahead of time, regardless of the consequences they're bringing.

It's spelled Ruutu (Finnish for "screen", by the way). :)

I don't mind early airings in other countries, as I watch it online anyway. But I wish they happened in countries that broadcast the show in English, as the dubbed versions don't appeal to me. Finnish is my mother tongue, but I have no plans to watch any of these episodes before they are available in English.

But all these early airings must mean Hasbro hasn't given the channels airing the show in other countries any guidelines on when they can be broadcast. There are a lot of shows that are aired internationally just a few days (or even hours) after the American premiere, but I can't imagine any popular live-action show being aired earlier in another country, without the network doing that getting in trouble for it.

• Brohoof 4

Well I personally think the case is that the streaming service is finally catching up the hype i mean i checked the service about a year or 2 ago and their latest episodes were from season 4-5 when the show was running on s6 

5 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

It's spelled Ruutu (Finnish for "screen", by the way). :)

I don't mind early airings in other countries, as I watch it online anyway. But I wish they happened in countries that broadcast the show in English, as the dubbed versions don't appeal to me. Finnish is my mother tongue, but I have no plans to watch any of these episodes before they are available in English.

But all these early airings must mean Hasbro hasn't given the channels airing the show in other countries any guidelines on when they can be broadcast. There are a lot of shows that are aired internationally just a few days (or even hours) after the American premiere, but I can't imagine any popular live-action show being aired earlier in another country, without the network doing that getting in trouble for it.

Yeah they can basically broadcast them when they want after they've acquired it

• Brohoof 1

Television networks have the right to air their content in whatever way they want since they bought the rights to air said content. In this case regarding the network in Finland, they bought the right to the first half of season eight. As such, they could've aired them all within a couple of weeks and not feel guilty about it. Granted, Hasbro wouldn't be happy but then they--Hasbro--are more interested in toy sales rather than the show. As someone mentioned, there might not have been guidelines provided to prevent something like this from happening.

5 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Television networks have the right to air their content in whatever way they want since they bought the rights to air said content. In this case regarding the network in Finland, they bought the right to the first half of season eight. As such, they could've aired them all within a couple of weeks and not feel guilty about it. Granted, Hasbro wouldn't be happy but then they--Hasbro--are more interested in toy sales rather than the show. As someone mentioned, there might not have been guidelines provided to prevent something like this from happening.

The thing about airing episodes before the official release means spoilers would spread like wildfire and it creates problems within the community of the show. I've kept a tradition of waiting for new episodes every Saturday (not counting hiatuses), so for streams to air unreleased episodes ahead of time, even all at once, is basically like opening Pandora's box.

16 hours ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

The thing about airing episodes before the official release means spoilers would spread like wildfire and it creates problems within the community of the show. I've kept a tradition of waiting for new episodes every Saturday (not counting hiatuses), so for streams to air unreleased episodes ahead of time, even all at once, is basically like opening Pandora's box.

Spoilers... The one thing that most people dread when it comes to watching show like this.

• 3 weeks later...

And it seems the UK aired The Mean 6 two days ago, which was three days BEFORE the episode premiere this Saturday. Why can't they just stay on schedule instead of making unnecessary early airings? :dry:

10 minutes ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

And it seems the UK aired The Mean 6 two days ago, which was three days BEFORE the episode premiere this Saturday. Why can't they just stay on schedule instead of making unnecessary early airings? :dry:

"The Mean 6" – probably the most messed up episode release in the history of MLP (and that's saying a lot). :lol: Depending on how you look at it, the American premiere will be the third or fourth release of the episode, following the unfinished leak, the Finnish dub and the UK premiere. :please:

As I said before, I don't mind non-US premieres in English. But I hope there won't be any leaks or early releases of dubbed versions in the second half of the season!

• Brohoof 2