Let's speculate on the future

Zoraxe

(edited)

Tell us your thoughts on how you guess the future is going to be like.

I'm hoping we can start colonizing the solar system in my lifetime, wouldn't that be awesome? I don't know how many people like me are out there, but I just absolutely love the idea of colonizing other worlds. I would really like it if every planet in our solar system had humans living on them or in orbit around them. Do you think humanity will ever do that? How about teraforming planets like Mars, or colonizing other solar systems? I sure hope so.

Spoiler

On earth there are potential technologies that can save our planet's environment and ecosystems and other amazing things. Fusion is the technology they are working on that you should keep your ears on, because if it ever becomes a reality it's going to be a huge change.

Edited by Zoraxe

There's probably going to be a war so large and catastrophic that all technological advancement is halted indefinitely. 

On a more optimistic note, however, if that doesn't end up happening, my guess would be Earth's Moon and Mars will be fully colonized by 2500. Other planets present much larger issues, like intense heat, extreme cold, lack of tangible soil to settle upon, etc. I personally think we already have the technology to get humans on Mars... the problem is creating the necessary facilities to support biologic respiratory systems for extended periods of time, and cultivation of food products on Martian land.

1 hour ago, Kai-rouken said:

There's probably going to be a war so large and catastrophic that all technological advancement is halted indefinitely. 

On a more optimistic note, however, if that doesn't end up happening, my guess would be Earth's Moon and Mars will be fully colonized by 2500. Other planets present much larger issues, like intense heat, extreme cold, lack of tangible soil to settle upon, etc. I personally think we already have the technology to get humans on Mars... the problem is creating the necessary facilities to support biologic respiratory systems for extended periods of time, and cultivation of food products on Martian land.

I'm trying to be optimistic. Might as well hope for the bright future.

I really like Issac Arthur's channel. I can't recommend his videos enough.

Spoiler

Well the future is up to ourselves to decide so if you want to achieve something only thing to do is to start working towards it now.

I don't really have any predictions as I don't really have anything that I would like to achieve in this plane other than myself.

Not to rain your parade or anything. But I rather focus more on the present then on the future. In my opinion, if you aren't proactive in the present, the future will be boring.

• Brohoof 1

A time traveler to the distant year of 3000 AD will find that humans are living exactly as they did in medieval Europe. Complete with a feudal system, stone castles, and pikemen :lol:

On 6/8/2018 at 6:35 PM, TheTaZe said:

Not to rain your parade or anything. But I rather focus more on the present then on the future. In my opinion, if you aren't proactive in the present, the future will be boring.

We don't want to forget that there is a future though. Just focusing on the now is short sighted.

First we need to figure out how to save our planet. Our home that we take for granted, the only world we've ever found perfect for supporting life. You can't even think about colonizing other planets if you can't even take care of your own. Do that, and maybe in a few hundred years you can think about colonizing moons in the solar system. There is only a future if we don't destroy everything in the present. 

(edited)
16 hours ago, Olly said:

First we need to figure out how to save our planet. Our home that we take for granted, the only world we've ever found perfect for supporting life. You can't even think about colonizing other planets if you can't even take care of your own. Do that, and maybe in a few hundred years you can think about colonizing moons in the solar system. There is only a future if we don't destroy everything in the present. 

Well yeah, I didn't want to imply abandoning earth or something. Of coarse we take care of Earth, but we can do both at the same time.

16 hours ago, Olly said:

Do that, and maybe in a few hundred years you can think about colonizing moons in the solar system.

Man, we can do that a lot sooner than a few hundred years if we really got down to it. There have been a lot of advances in rockets recently by Space X, reusable rockets, a huge money saver. Also, Solar sail technology looks like it can make space travel a lot faster than before. We can realistically have research stations about the solar system and asteroid mining within my lifetime. I don't know if full blown colony is on the table in my time, but it's possible.

Edited by Zoraxe

1 minute ago, Zoraxe said:

There have been a lot of advances in rockets recently by Space X, reusable rockets, a huge money saver. Also, Solar sail technology looks like it can make space travel a lot faster than before. We can realistically have research stations about the solar system and asteroid mining within my lifetime. I don't know if full blown colony if on the table in my time, but it's possible.

private companies are the best shot. We just have so many priorities here I can't see us spending the money to travel outside the solar system or colonize anything. You can send an unmanned craft out I suppose. Solar sails might be the fastest option, the speed-of-light barrier makes interstellar travel unimaginably slow otherwise. In fact, given the time it takes to cross those distances, and the minute number of habitable worlds, it's hardly worth considering except as a desperate attempt at surviving if we can no longer live here. Sure, space travel is interesting for research, but most people aren't interested in it, or paying for it. 

4 hours ago, Olly said:

private companies are the best shot. We just have so many priorities here I can't see us spending the money to travel outside the solar system or colonize anything. You can send an unmanned craft out I suppose. Solar sails might be the fastest option, the speed-of-light barrier makes interstellar travel unimaginably slow otherwise. In fact, given the time it takes to cross those distances, and the minute number of habitable worlds, it's hardly worth considering except as a desperate attempt at surviving if we can no longer live here. Sure, space travel is interesting for research, but most people aren't interested in it, or paying for it. 

Oh, I mostly meant colonizing other planets and moons here in our system. It would be amazing if someday we go to another system, but that would be in the far future. And I disagree, I think we will do it one day. and not as just a last resort either.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, Methuselah said:

A time traveler to the distant year of 3000 AD will find that humans are living exactly as they did in medieval Europe. Complete with a feudal system, stone castles, and pikemen :lol:

You made me think of this

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

Okay, let’s say this isn’t necessarily about colonization of other planets out of necessity, but for exploration and the fact that staying in one place forever inevitably leads to stagnancy. History of the world has always been about expanding horizons and spreading civilization. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t, but the idea was sound and even necessary. If approached intelligently and responsibly, colonizing other planets would be the greatest thing mankind could aspire to. Space as an option was opened up back in the 1960s and had a nice run for a while, but fizzled like everything else in this current age of laziness and waiting for someone else to do the legwork. Right now, working in space is relegated to meaningless science experiments that have little bearing on the greater human condition. Space is a big place and exploring it takes vast leaps, not wasting time on miniscule or obscure pursuits that are exciting only for a handful of scientists. NASA and other space agencies who are funded by citizens should serve citizens and give them a return on their investments or be shut down altogether. The moon was conquered long ago and Mars should have been close behind. I would still love to see Mars opened up because it has something very special to offer that no one seems to acknowledge; vast amounts of water. Spend time and effort on things like that because they matter a lot more than the effects of zero gravity on tomato seeds aboard the space station.  To do big things you have to think big.

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 2

On 2024-08-25 at 5:23 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

Okay, let’s say this isn’t necessarily about colonization of other planets out of necessity, but for exploration and the fact that staying in one place forever inevitably leads to stagnancy. History of the world has always been about expanding horizons and spreading civilization. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t, but the idea was sound and even necessary. If approached intelligently and responsibly, colonizing other planets would be the greatest thing mankind could aspire to. Space as an option was opened up back in the 1960s and had a nice run for a while, but fizzled like everything else in this current age of laziness and waiting for someone else to do the legwork. Right now, working in space is relegated to meaningless science experiments that have little bearing on the greater human condition. Space is a big place and exploring it takes vast leaps, not wasting time on miniscule or obscure pursuits that are exciting only for a handful of scientists. NASA and other space agencies who are funded by citizens should serve citizens and give them a return on their investments or be shut down altogether. The moon was conquered long ago and Mars should have been close behind. I would still love to see Mars opened up because it has something very special to offer that no one seems to acknowledge; vast amounts of water. Spend time and effort on things like that because they matter a lot more than the effects of zero gravity on tomato seeds aboard the space station.  To do big things you have to think big.

Let's not forget about Titan (Saturn's moon) @Dreambiscuit:please:  It has an atmosphere, but we'd have to solve its coldness problem:awwthanks:  The Slingshot movie should address this.  

• Brohoof 2

Honestly? In the next 100-200 years I feel like life remains largely the same, there won’t be any radical changes like space exploration or space colonies. Nor any world destroying wars.

Life expectancy will continue going up. Things continue to get more efficient. Quantum computers become more common but don’t replace conventional computers for most applications. All cars on the road will have some degree of automated driving but likely won’t be completely self driving and autonomous. AI continues to advance but ultimately will only be useful as a tool and not as something that’s fully self-sufficient and capable of making its own decisions.

I really feel like the main advancements we’ll make in the future will be in medicine. It feels like it’s the most rapidly advancing science field currently.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest there's some potential events and concepts which are thrilling me a lot.

First is Mars colonisation. It will have a giant cultural impact on humanity. Just imagine our planet is the well known and civilized the Old World. And the New World - huge and wild frontier without governments and common rules, only corporations and communities of free colonists which are looking more like tribes with wery different ideology and traditions. No instant and reliable connection with earth so people will communicate with text via emails and sites like forums again. I bet genre of western will regain its popularity. :sneer:

The other one is droids. Nowadays AI is centralized and maintained by corporations force. But I think that autonomous self learning machines is a holy grail of AI industry. As they are not programmed but learned and trained on their own experience each of them will have a unique personality so I consider as possible that one day they may become actual members of our society. I see a fight for droid rights or attempts of local droid coups as realistic concept.

On 2024-08-26 at 10:54 PM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Let's not forget about Titan (Saturn's moon) @Dreambiscuit:please:  It has an atmosphere, but we'd have to solve its coldness problem:awwthanks:  The Slingshot movie should address this.  

Slingshot? I haven't seen this movie. Cha-ching! Onto my short list it goes! :-P

• Hugs 1