Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Recommended Final Fantasy for a newcomer?

Thorgir the Mighty

(edited)

I was thinking about trying something new,ive always hated Final Fantasy but I’ve seen the remake of FFVII and i want to give it a shot before I start hating it again. 

A friend recommended FFVI or FFVII. I was thinking about starting from the NES or starting with 6. I appreciate it if you can help

Edited by Thorgir the Mighty

An explanation about what you hate about the franchise would be helpful. I, and many fans, agree that the best games are among the first ten. Generally, however, I wouldn't recommend the NES games unless you like old school stuff, since the NES trilogy admittedly doesn't offer anything too interesting to franchise newcomers. If you absolutely want to start from there, play the GBA/PSP ports of those games. The SNES trilogy, IV/V/VI, is definitely a better starting point, with more intricate gameplay systems that have stood the test of time. V is hard to recommend as a first choice because of its difficulty curve and wacky, yet lovable, corniness, but IV and VI have very broad appeal with memorable stories and casts of characters. As for the oft-recommended VII, don't go into it expecting to love it, it might not be for you with some of its notably outdated graphics and features, but it's still good for what it is. VIII has a weird battle system that turns many off, so it's not exactly a good first choice, but you'll love it if what you enjoy is a more laidback story and a world that's so much fun to mess around in. IX is perfect for those with "mature, refined tastes", a great mix of silliness with deep, complex themes. X probably won't appeal to you if you find the characters annoying, however, it's also the only 'classic' Final Fantasy game with voice acting, so give it a go if you find constantly reading text tiresome. Also, it has a very intricate world and stat growth system.

• Brohoof 1

CloudMistDragon said it all pretty well, but I'll add my two cents in here.

I never got very far through FFIV, but I've heard from a lot of friends that played it that it's a really good one and one of the more loved ones, behind VI and VII. That said, VI and VII are both really good ones. I didn't finish VI, but I loved every bit of it that I played. VII may be an acquired taste, but the materia system is awesome and it still remains my favorite game of all time to this day. X is a really good one as well. It's the first one with voice acting, and combined with great characters (well, except one, *cough*auron*cough*:lie:) and a good storyline, it's well worth a try.

My recommendations are IV, VI, VII, and X, depending on what level of graphics you're wanting to try out. IV and VI are fairly close, graphics-wise, there's a big quality jump between VI and VII, but I can't guarantee VII's the best first choice, and X has graphics that even today's picky gamers could enjoy.

• Brohoof 2

Nice I’ll try the SNES series first!

the reason why I used to hate them is because I thought they were stupid. (And the hair) but I never actually understood how it’s so popular,so I decided to actually give it a chance.

Also I played Chronotrigger which was made by Square Enix,which if I understand correctly was the craters of FF. If chronotrigger is that good I’m gonna give FF a chance

• Brohoof 2

Final Fantasy 10
Fully voiced cast, and a soundtrack that'll tug at all the right emotions. I started out on Final Fantasy 7 but really got attached to the series from X. Some will say FFX is horrible due to the awkward graphics of 2002. The characters are memorable and its less....complicated(?) than previous games. Yeah, you didnt really have a big world to explore, and it was clear you were on a point a to point b path. However they had an awesome game called Blitzball which is soccer and water polo combined. Also the leveling system was easy to understand, as were the ultimate weapons of each character. Plus hunting for said ultimate weapons was a blast as well.

After X you can skip X-2 since it wasnt everyones cup of tea.....though personally i loved it. Outfit/job system means a character could be both a gunner and a magician.

I, IV and VI with VI being at the top are my recommendations if you're young and your exposure to the series has largely been recent. I would suggest one of the many FF1 remakes over the original since it's pretty buggy and limited for RPGs, but it's a very good game. Watch out for WarMech...

I have not played any FF games except for IV. Everyone bows down to VII but it’s an acquired taste. My roommate played X and the story was way too confusing. The combat system and music are great though. I don’t recommend X-2 since it’s just glorified fan service. The gameplay that I’ve seen for IX is enough for me to give it my recommendation. 

(edited)
20 hours ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

A friend recommended FFVI or FFVII. I was thinking about starting from the NES or starting with 6. I appreciate it if you can help

This is a good recommendation.  These are among the strongest titles.  I would say that FF6 is the best FF by a considerable margin, although if you start with FF6 you might find all the remaining games inferior by comparison, but that did not stop me from enjoying FF7.

The good news is that except with the hyphenated series, such as FF10-2, none of the FF plots are related in any way so you can play them in any order and enjoy them.

Edited by Twilight Dirac