Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does collectivism view individuality as evil?

heavens-champion

WE DON'T NEED NO THOUGHT CONTROL 

I do not believe in collectivism whatsoever after the experience I had with a group of people I was with for years before they began operating like a cult and shunning anyone who was even suspected of not agreeing with their beliefs. I believe that collectivism is just about controlling the masses, nothing more. The moment a collectivist community realizes that you are a free-thinker is the moment they brand you as evil beyond redemption. Be an individual of free thought, always. :mlp_maud:

• Brohoof 1

Collectivism doesn't just mean some big brother dystopia or dictotorship that smothers all individuality. At it's core collectivism "is a cultural value that is characterized by emphasis on cohesiveness among individuals and prioritization of the group over self". So basically, "don't be a selfish dick and learn to share with others". Western democracy is form of collectivism same as Nordic welfare states. That doesn't sound so bad now does it? Yes, Soviet Union and some crazy-ass cult can also be seen falling under the same hypernym, but often those kind of communities are eveything but egalitarian or collective. As we know, Soviet union was anything but communistic, far from it. That's just a theoretical term for a utopistic version of reality. Same goes for all the other 'big terms'. There are no time or place where pure collectivism/individualism would have occured, there are no absolute black or white, only limitless variations of grey. 

Saying that collectivistic systems/cultures/groups would view individualism as a pure evil is bit overstating. These two can and do excist simultaniously. Selfisness and lack of emphaty, rather than individuality are the key issues here. Freedom of thinking isn't inherently against collectivism

It's funny that people who bash collectivism are more than happy to use public services such as libraries but whenever they have to pay taxes to fund said amenities, they start to rage how society should be 100% individualistic. Police and national army, as well as any legislation that protects consumer's rights against companies or other individuals is form of collectivism.

• Brohoof 1

It's depends on the cultures. I don't know about the others but here in America, Individualism is pretty over the top for them. Compared over in some few country, mainly in the Asia continent. they believes community is better, doing what's best for the family or the community itself. Both have pros and cons, individualism=independence but too much can lead to being selfish. Dog eat dog.  Collectivism= community but too much of it can make the person feel under pressure that they need meet an high expectation. 

• Brohoof 1