Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Sunset lack substance as a character?

ManaMinori

As much as I like her, I feel like she falls flat. There isn't much depth to her, or aspects to relate to. Sure, she has a few sis and hobbies, but it seem like there's nothing she doesn't excel at? Art, advanced calculus, Gaming- she can do it al. But what are her goals in life, what is she striving for, what flaws is she struggling to overcome? The whole bit with struggling to understand magic in the human world was both superficial and short lived. Now that she has come to understand it, what really is Sunset's character and goals beneath that? I really don't think that there are any to be found. 

• Brohoof 1

I love that her issue with frustration was alluded to even in EQG... "She began her studies with me not long before Twilight... but when she did not get what she wanted as quickly as she liked, she turned cruel and dishonest"... traits we see in her before her defeat in the first movie. After that, she's more mellow, but certain things still get that blood flowing... like being accused of "jealous rage" when she was misunderstood while trying to prevent Rainbow from going full pony-hybrid during the preliminary rounds of the Battle of the Bands (Rainbow Rocks) or her lambasting SciTwi for meddling in magic, which was something she had been struggling with figuring out the while. Plenty of character continuity there. ;) 

• Brohoof 1

She's the cultured Brony's female self insert. She's one of those characters where some bozo thought it was a good idea to try and balance being talented at literally everything with some weaksauce flaws shared by literally every human.

• Brohoof 1

Sunset's temper is something that she continues to struggle with despite having moved on from her past. I find it charming that she displays such a negative emotion as it shows that she's not perfect. No matter her best efforts, anger is a presence she cannot overcome. Without this, I'd say Sunset would be boring as no one can relate to those who are seen as too perfect for their own good.

• Brohoof 1

She has a clean slate. Coming to the human world with a ton of baggage. In many ways she's just a kid who never had a chance to explore much. Probably all she knows really is magic. She hasn't had much time to decide what she wants to do, now that 'world domination' is off the bucket list. Imagine all that teen angst and confusion plus being torn between two worlds.

• Brohoof 2

26 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I find it charming that she displays such a negative emotion as it shows that she's not perfect. No matter her best efforts, anger is a presence she cannot overcome.

Yeah, she's a real struggler. Very inspiring!

1526389829644.jpg.f2645e671a963d804b1f55dea6f67493.jpg

The show hasn't done that much with it but I think her anger issues serve well enough as a flaw for her to overcome. The lack of aspirations is a problem, but only because her backstory is so unique; Applejack doesn't aspire to a whole lot either. At this point I think she has everything she needs to be as good a character as the mane six, and just needs some stories that take advantage of that. Part of me wonders if she has too many strengths, but I guess it's not so unbelievable that she would be good at art as well as science and video games. It's just a bit weird when the other characters tend to have narrower skill sets. 

As a villain, I think she lacked substance as a character. As a secondary character, nah. After the first Equestria Girls movie is when her redemption arc was already starting to feel genuine. And I wouldn't describe her as "perfect" either. She lost to Sci-Twi in advanced math in Equestria Games and to Fluttershy at video games in a short, showing that she's not flawless. 

• Brohoof 1