Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Twilight REALLY fit for leading Equestria?

FlareGun45

So after watching Between Dark and Dawn, you can tell how much Twilight was struggling to be a Princess of Equestria. EVEN with her friends there! So my question for today is: is Twilight really fit to be Princess of Equestria?

Yunno what Twilight's main problem truly is? Her ego. She makes it all about her - always having the final say. She barely listens. That's what her problem was in Between Dark and Dawn, when even half her friends knew what to do about the swanning party thing! She also barely listens to Spike until the very end of the episode. Yunno what? We kinda have it all wrong. Twilight's not the one looking after Spike - HE'S looking after HER! He's her legal guardian basically! Just imagine her life without him! Please, DHX, I hope that's an episode!

Twilight always means well, and thinks about the good of Equestria, but she still has alot to learn, and Celestia and Luna giving their jobs to Twilight.... it's still not quite understandable WHY they'd give the job to her! But then again, Celestia and Luna barely do anything, so... yeah, maybe Twilight is fit for the job after all! XD

But if she really deserves to be the Princess of Equestria, she needs to fix her main problem: not listening to her friends instead of just having the final say, listen to THEIR perspectives and THEIR wants and needs. That's her problem - instead of constantly having episodes about losing a title to something. Yunno, like Sibling Supreme, being best book returner....

...Trivia Night master...

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Twilight always means well, and thinks about the good of Equestria, but she still has alot to learn, and Celestia and Luna giving their jobs to Twilight.... it's still not quite understandable WHY they'd give the job to her! But then again, Celestia and Luna barely do anything, so... yeah, maybe Twilight is fit for the job after all! XD

It always annoys me when people claim Celestia and Luna "Don't do anything". We've seen what they do, Luna patrols the dream realm every night and protects ponies dreams, she raises the moon, she even goes out of her way to put lavender all over the castle to help ponies sleep better, I imagine she does a lot more than that as well to help ponies sleep peacefully and have pleasant dreams. Celestia goes to meetings, signs decrees, goes to and hosts public events constantly, probably does a lot of paperwork and legal stuff they won't ever show on the show itself because it's boring and who wants to see it, not to mention raising the sun obviously.

The claim that "They don't do anything" always focuses on the events of two parters where...yeah, they're often kind of useless, or get kidnapped or something, and it's a little silly how often that happens but there's way more to being a ruler than just fighting off the big bad guys, the majority of this show even isn't actually about the villains either, most of it is a silly slice of life show, there's things in life that are important other than just fighting evil. 

Anyway, I think with her friends by her side she'll probably be able to rule Equestria fine, the Mane Six have proven time and again they can do pretty much whatever they set their mind to, and the idea that she doesn't listen to them at all is kind of wrong, how many scenes have we seen of them sitting around in those thrones discussing things with each other? Yes, she doesn't listen to them sometimes, especially when she's under large amounts of stress, but she's shown to be a capable leader in other instances. At worst they might need 22 minutes to solve a problem.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe so. I believe that the princesses were better off in leading Equestria, rather than 6 ponies who have no ties to real royalty other than by marriage or association. Twilight isn't even a real princess. 'Princess of Friendship'? What a cringy title in all honesty, no offense. 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I don't believe so. I believe that the princesses were better off in leading Equestria, rather than 6 ponies who have no ties to real royalty other than by marriage or association. Twilight isn't even a real princess. 'Princess of Friendship'? What a cringy title in all honesty, no offense. 

Is it anymore Cringy than Cadance being the "Princess of Love"? This is a silly complaint, honestly. In MLP Friendship is literally a force of power that can defeat even the strongest of villains. Saying you don't think she should rule Equestria is one thing, saying she's not a real Princess is kind of unfair.

From what I've seen since Twilight Sparkle first became the Princess of Friendship? No.

From what I've seen so far in Season 9? Absolutely not! 

This is coming from someone whose favorite pony is Twilight Sparkle. :twismile:

I think that the point of the season is that Twilight isn't ready but should be eventually, along with her friends. I'm pretty convinced that 'leading Equestria' for the cartoon means protecting it from the season's villain and taking care of the ocasional monster in between doing 'generic boring ruler-y stuff'. It's pretty much what it's putting in Twilight's way.

I also think that the cartoon isn't ready to talk about leadership, ruling or the like in the scale of a nation, but that is another subject. It doesn't have much of a clue what to do to make Celestia feel like an actual ruler and Luna already her her dream thing that is good enough. You can see that with characters saying things like 'nopony should do this alone' and the sort and with last episode that thinks that leading a nation means delegating functions and 'attending to meetings'. When Celestia and Luna can't be bothered to care for the sun because they took the day out, or complained that they can only go out when it's an emergency, it's clear that the people that made the cartoon didn't have a clue what to do. I don't expect Celestia to ever take a stance on an important issue, to solve any sort of critical managerial problem or even actively use her position to make things happen like she's the protagonist in the situation.

When Martin started writing A Song of Ice and Fire he made a comment about how he didn't know what was Aragorn's fiscal policy. And while it is a rather stupid thing to say about Lord of the Rings, it kind of applies to Celestia in this carton simply because the cartoon defined her a the ruler, and her ruler is in effect while the cartoon is telling it's story, but she doesn't really have much of an agency in her own kingdom. Especially when Neighsay was being himself and while Amber can yell at dragons and at least get them to move in a direction. Celestia just doesn't have palpable power that Twilight would need to learn.

Twilight will never feel ready to lead Equestria because she's not a ruler, but more of a superhero and the cartoon has no idea how to make a ruler. In my opinion, though, all that is missing is for the cartoon to show Celestia actually doing her job effectively, not that parody of the sisters going around fixing stuff, and then showing that Twilight is learning that too.

There is also the problem that I don't feel like Celestia and Luna really are necessary. There are two other princesses and one other on the way. There isn't a position of 'queen' that feels like it's different from what there is already more than enough. Sure, Luna has her dream power, but that seems completely disconnected from her position, especially after that episode where she went on a vacation and the issue wasn't even brought up. I mean, if she can't be bothered to raise the moon, why isn't anyone worried that she won't be protecting dreams that night?

Finally, ponies seem to treat the princesses more like celebrities. They pretty much rule themselves.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight can't raise and lower the sun and moon by herself nor can she dream-walk like Luna. She won't be able to take over that easy, no matter what the Royal Sisters say.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Califorum said:

Twilight isn't even a real princess. 'Princess of Friendship'? What a cringy title in all honesty, no offense.

Big yikes, you can't be anymore wrong.

I mean, probably? It's going to happen despite what anyone says against it.

It's no secret that ponies lack common sense because plot demands it. At least in this case her friends acknowledge that Twilight royaly bucked up. 

Seems like that was a reneg on a previous episode. Multiple times now, Twilight's lesson (including one time Celestia said proved that she was a good choice) was admitting she needed help. Didn't that happen in the very first episode of this season?

1 hour ago, TheTaZe said:

Big yikes, you can't be anymore wrong.

I mean, probably? It's going to happen despite what anyone says against it.

I mean, theres no wrong wrong here. It's up to opinion.

I'm pretty sure someone already started a topic asking this question a few months before S9 premiered. Oh well.

As for my thoughts, it's simple. I personally think she's qualified. She and her friends. All that's missing is the 2nd half of the final season.

Only the show runners know how it's going to end and I'm willing to wait to see how it all ends. Wheter it ends with an awesome or a disappointing fizzle, I'll just be glad I've spent 2/3rds of the show's run as a Brony from Right after Season 3 to the end of Generation 4. Through all the ups and downs, I'm glad to have spent time in Equestria with all these characters, pony or non-pony.

55 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

LOL. I know it would be a travesty to the series but I remember Meghan McCarthy in 2014 said that Twilight wouldn't outlive her friends.

So, if alicorns are immortal, and Twilight is an alicorn, that must mean all Mane 6 become alicorns?  Unless they all die simultaneously.

22 minutes ago, Mongo said:

LOL. I know it would be a travesty to the series but I remember Meghan McCarthy in 2014 said that Twilight wouldn't outlive her friends.

So, if alicorns are immortal, and Twilight is an alicorn, that must mean all Mane 6 become alicorns?  Unless they all die simultaneously.

Oddly morbid way to look at it. I don't think we are going to see them die in the show... but you know, just a hunch.

(edited)

Alicorns are not necessarily immortal. Where in the show did they ever said Alicorns are immortal? Cite an official source and I'll believe you. I believe natural born Alicorns like Celestia and Luna simply have a long lifespan, not immortality. If you ask me, the whole Alicorns are automatically immortal thing is just a faulty assumption made by fans who believe there's can only be ONE explanation, instead of keeping their minds open to many possibilities and creative explanations

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 1

Really Twilight? No way imo she would be a bad leader like just see the episodes that's she is in. She always thinks she is better than anyone, she bossy, she always wants attention, she cries over dumb things that's not even sad, thinks she is so smart, and she can get pretty annoying. Who would want a princess like that!?

Also Twilight is the princess of friendship and that is not a hard job at all.

4 hours ago, Mongo said:

IMHO all the Mane 6 will lead the kingdom and may be alicorned at the end of S9.

I always think about that

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, KingMorgana said:

I always think about that

Me too. Of you think about it, their harmony stones representing them can be their titles:

Rarity - Princess of Generosity

Applejack - Princess of Honesty

Pinkie Pie - Princess of Laughter

Fluttershy - Princess of Kindness

Rainbow Dash - Princess of Loyalty

Now about the other titles, empathy and humility mentioned by producers .. hmm..

1 minute ago, Mongo said:

Me too. Of you think about it, their harmony stones representing them can be their titles:

Now about the other titles, empathy and humility mentioned by producers .. hmm..

ikr but for me Rarity can be a normal princess of beauty

like she can how the power to turn ugly old things into beautiful things and more. So many ideas of Rarity princess

8 hours ago, Mongo said:

And what's Spike gonna be princess of then? :P 

(edited)

The Twilight that I once believed was someone who would eventually become a worthy leader of Equestria one day. The Twilight as the show portrays doesn't meet up to that expectation, which was inherent in the character and an inevitable task.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1