Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Inter species breeding

Steve Piranha

How you think inter species breeding will work now that, after Equestria being more welcoming of other species, non pony resident numbers increased, with romantic relationships and all? 
Considering being a magical land where logic can occasionally shove it, I think it’s possible. An example would be King Vorak and Queen Haydon, a centaur and a gargoyle respectively. Giving birth to a son of each species: Tirek and Scorpan. If that rule is followed, I think it’s possible not only to reproduce for other species, but the child being born of either parent species as well

I do see some weirdnesses though. I think a pony mare is perfectly capable of giving birth a changeling or dragon, but what about the other way around? I don’t see ponies being born from eggs. In those cases, I think the children will be born hybrid. It’s easy to picture Pony-changelings, and dragon-pony have a mythological basis in the longma (which may appear in G5 by the way). But that leaves the hippogriffs. Twilight said they are part eagle part pony, but I think they are actually part pony and part griffin, just to keep with their mythological origins

I don't think a hippogriff is literally part eagle, part pony. I think they are a unique species. A platypus is not part duck, for example. Hippogriffs just look a little like eagles.

I doubt that hybrids are possible. But if they are, from a storytelling point, it might make more sense for the child to be mostly one species, rather than a 50/50 mix. Maybe a pony / dragon would be 99% pony with dragon wings or the ability to breathe fire.

• Brohoof 1

I think it makes for great subject material in lighter cases to demonstrate aspects of racism, however, we've moved well passed that with the three pony tribes becoming whole. I personally think it's going too far when we start pairing up creatures that naturally have no business doing so in that matter. I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority on this one though.

Hippogriffs have troubled me for some time with their historical origin story coming from a Griffon mating with a Mare, and how that would impact the show, but it's also very intriguing when picturing the overarching relationship between Equestria and Griffinstone. Would their very existence be a cause for peace or conflict? Do the surviving members of the parent species have a culture that is accepting or despises this creation? There's some fantastic story telling to be had, of that I'm sure, but I already know which camp I fall into.

I almost want to give mythological aspects a pass but frankly those ancient Greeks were just as bad as the worst of our lot in some of their writings :ButtercupLaugh:

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

How you think inter species breeding will work now that, after Equestria being more welcoming of other species, non pony resident numbers increased, with romantic relationships and all? 

I'm afraid I'm also a stick-in-the-mud on this, like I am on homosexual reproduction. One may find love anywhere, but babies come from a very specific kind of relations - if you're not having those, you'll have to adopt.

Now that said, as you point out, it is a land awash with magic. I wouldn't support an ordinary spell allowing such things, but a legendary artefact, location or being such as might make for the object of a grand Quest?  Sure - after all, I'm sure the many hybrids like griffons and manticores didn't spring from nowhere. (Of course, such methods won't necessarily be safe for mother or child.)

Now all this said, even following the rules of nature there are some kinds of possible hybrid, and we've seen one in the show - mules. Sadly, their donkey side seems dominant, leaving them without coloured coats, magic or cutie marks - although it's possible that this is just one potential outcome and there are other more ponilike ones. Likellu the same rules apply to hinnes - which we have only heard of - zonies and so on. 

(edited)

Inter species breeding between Horses/Zebras/Donkeys is possible in nature but usually results in infertile offspring. Given this I'd guess Ponies, Donkeys and Zebras would be able to breed in the show.

Ponies also seem to share some similarities with Kirins and Hippogriffs so pehaps that may be possible and Ponies/Hippogriffs are also fairly similar in their Seapony forms. If Hippogriffs as a species are a result of Ponies/Griffons then Griffons would be possible too but otherwise Griffons are not from an Equine family so possibly less likely.

Griffons/Hippogriffs both have a relation to the Eagle family so pehaps that's a possibility.

Ponies/Dragons/Changelings/Yaks seems more unlikely as they are all from different families of species, Dragons are reptilian in nature and lay eggs, Changelings despite their Equine bodyshape are insectoid and develop from Eggs and Larvae, Yaks are Mammals like Ponies but still a different family of species.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

7 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

I'd say it's already happened.

Pony+Donkey=Mule

Pony+Griffin=Hippogriff

Pony+Dragon=Kirin

None proven, and prettu speculative in the latter two cases, who seem to be seperate, self-sustainnig species with little to no contact with ponies. 

50 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

None proven, and prettu speculative in the latter two cases, who seem to be seperate, self-sustainnig species with little to no contact with ponies. 

It’s possible for them to have been born and stabilized a colony since ancient times tho :fluttershy:. Remember that before nerd queen, different societies had little contact with one another. Hell, the town of Somnambula had little contact with the main land of Equestria, DESPITE BEING PART OF EQUESTRIA ITSELF :Cozy:

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

Pony+Dragon=Kirin

I believe a longma will come out instead of a kirin. I think kirin is a hybrid of more than pony and dragon. Could be deer and lion apart of those two :huh:. Not really sure.

To ruin the fun abd be accurate, species are by definition capable of breeding.

And about doing it by magic, I believe that is in the realm of dark sorcery, which means if it was possible, it would have been foebidden.

However, my other horrible headcanon is that pony mares are capable of accepting any other species DNA, and the offsprings are other magical or sentient creatures that we see in the show. (which means ponies are appealing to every creature, including -of course- humans.) Don't bother asking any further questions tho.

13 hours ago, Brony Number 42 said:

I don't think a hippogriff is literally part eagle, part pony. I think they are a unique species. A platypus is not part duck, for example. Hippogriffs just look a little like eagles.

Twilight said they are part Eagle and part pony in the movie. And I do believe they descend from ponies and griffins, just to keep up with their mythological origins. After all, hippogriffs are born when male griffins “play” with their food instead of actually eating it :mlp_icwudt: (griffins are natural predators of horses in myth)

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

It’s possible for them to have been born and stabilized a colony since ancient times tho :fluttershy:. Remember that before nerd queen, different societies had little contact with one another. Hell, the town of Somnambula had little contact with the main land of Equestria, DESPITE BEING PART OF EQUESTRIA ITSELF :Cozy:

I believe a longma will come out instead of a kirin. I think kirin is a hybrid of more than pony and dragon. Could be deer and lion apart of those two :huh:. Not really sure.

Really, I find hippogriffs and kirin frustrating for various reasons in the first place, and would rather neither had been introduced... no, Silverstream and Autumn Blaze, stop giving me those puppy dog eyes... 

2 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

And about doing it by magic, I believe that is in the realm of dark sorcery, which means if it was possible, it would have been foebidden.

Whi, necessarily?

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Hell, the town of Somnambula had little contact with the main land of Equestria, DESPITE BEING PART OF EQUESTRIA ITSELF :Cozy:

I like the idea of neighboring pony nations/regions, like the Hispanic aspects of the Tenochtitlan Basin and possibly the mentioned Mustangia and Puerto Caballo. Keeping Somnambula in Equestria was just lazy I think, especially with the existence of Saddle Arabia.

I'm a big fan of keeping the world of MLP heavily based on ours.

2 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Whi, necessarily?

I don't know, my sarchastic brain just imagines it would have more horrible and gruesone consequences when messing with such profound rules of biology.

It's not like I ever imagined many different creatures across ponyland having babies containing both of the parent's genetic traits and living happily ever after as a loving family.

47 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I don't know, my sarchastic brain just imagines it would have more horrible and gruesone consequences when messing with such profound rules of biology.

It's not like I ever imagined many different creatures across ponyland having babies containing both of the parent's genetic traits and living happily ever after as a loving family.

Me neither. But that doesn't mean magic that facilitates it need be twisted, just rare - a world like their's has room for miracles.

(Of course dangerous methods - like asking Discord for help - might be more accessible, and therefore tempting.)

11 hours ago, Latecomer said:

11 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Kirin are called dragon horses but yeah, longma really look like a pony/dragon hybrid.

The mythological origin of hippogriff is a griffin mating with a horse.

1 minute ago, Fluttershutter said:

Kirin are called dragon horses but yeah, longma really look like a pony/dragon hybrid.

The mythological origin of hippogriff is a griffin mating with a horse.

But in-show, theu seem to have nothing to do with ponies or griffons save an inexplicable resemblance.

6 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Kirin are more complicated. They always have been chimerical creatures, and in context of FIM world, they are likely descended from more creatures rather than just pony and dragon. I think longma would be a more direct descendant of pony/dragon, but kirin have those two, plus more on the mix

11 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

But in-show, theu seem to have nothing to do with ponies or griffons save an inexplicable resemblance.

History of nations and cultures is very interesting. It’s clear hippogriffs have been there for a long time, but it’s well possible that in ancient times, their land was being declared by ponies and griffins. Disputed over it, and eventually decided to live together and eventually, crossbred. Hell, for them it’s even easier: possibly their dispute ended with a secret love between two members, one of each species, the foal was born hybrid, causing a change of heart, and used the pear to transform everyone. Ending the conflict for good

In character, as Changeling Will Guide, I mated with a version of Applejack played by @Aurora Wolf and she gave birth to a Changeling who spends most of his young life looking like a Baby Rainbow Dash. He wasn't hatched from an egg like most Changelings, he was born like a pony. He still has his father's shape-shifting abilities.

281897061_BabyDashieAvatar.png.295dc385f4a276cac35294139b89b047.png

Oh, it is a very interesting topic. 

Honestly, when I first saw there'd be hippogriffs in the show, years ago, I assumed they will be a crossbreed race between ponies and griffons. ( I still thing that would have been cool.)

But basiclly, it is a magical, fantasy land so it is kinda pointless ponding on it. Because I am pretty sure a lizard and a mamal will not breed offspring without magic that erase the rules of nature, and so this whole discussion is meaningless. But it's funny. 

I thing every equidae can crossbreed with each other (for example: pegasus, unicorn, batpony, earth pony, crystal pony, changling etc), but they won't with a dragon or a cow for instance. 

What do you thing?

1 hour ago, Kolombo said:

Oh, it is a very interesting topic. 

Honestly, when I first saw there'd be hippogriffs in the show, years ago, I assumed they will be a crossbreed race between ponies and griffons. ( I still thing that would have been cool.)

But basiclly, it is a magical, fantasy land so it is kinda pointless ponding on it. Because I am pretty sure a lizard and a mamal will not breed offspring without magic that erase the rules of nature, and so this whole discussion is meaningless. But it's funny. 

I thing every equidae can crossbreed with each other (for example: pegasus, unicorn, batpony, earth pony, crystal pony, changling etc), but they won't with a dragon or a cow for instance. 

What do you thing?

I think ponies can interbreed fine (and also with close relatives like zebras and donkeys) but I don't consider changlings remotely compatible - they're insects after all. Shapeshifting might let them get around that a bit though.

28 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

I think ponies can interbreed fine (and also with close relatives like zebras and donkeys) but I don't consider changlings remotely compatible - they're insects after all. Shapeshifting might let them get around that a bit though.

I agree with you. Although, in real life, Zebras are unable to breed with horses. But they can impact on the offspring, though. 

Horse + donkey= mule 

Yes, you're right. Changlings are insects. I am prone to forget since they 'changed'. :derp: 

19 minutes ago, Kolombo said:

I agree with you. Although, in real life, Zebras are unable to breed with horses. But they can impact on the offspring, though. 

Horse + donkey= mule 

Yes, you're right. Changlings are insects. I am prone to forget since they 'changed'. :derp: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebroid

Donkey father is a mule. Donkey mother is a hinny.

And the new ones don't look ani less insectlike to me... names are also a clue.

• Brohoof 1