Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a former veterinary technician and now current dog groomer!

Venomous

I graduated from veterinary technician school in 2018. I worked a singular job as a vet tech. Even though I decided to pursue another career, I would love to answer any questions you may have! (Obviously, I will not offer any medical advice regarding your pet(s). This is meant for general questions).

As stated by this thread’s title, I am now a dog groomer in training. Got any questions?

AC4B2509-97F2-4979-AA28-A84D751B0FD8.gif

• Brohoof 2

These are probably silly questions :awwthanks: but how often should I trim my dog's claws, and how do I properly wash her (stinky and sensitive) paws? :rarity:

Edited by Gaines

On 9/23/2020 at 10:21 AM, Gaines said:

These are probably silly questions :awwthanks: but how often should I trim my dog's claws, and how do I properly wash her (stinky and sensitive) paws? :rarity:

The general rule is to trim or grind your dog’s nails every 3-4 weeks. 

So many dogs have an issue with their paws being dealt with. It’s very, very common. If you can’t clean them yourself, take your dog into a professional groomer. They know how to deal with that sort of thing. Take your dog in to get its nails done and ask to get their paws cleaned as well. They should do it for an extra price. If you want to stick to doing it yourself at home, use hypoallergenic wipes for dogs. Don’t force it, though! If your dog has had enough being messed with, leave them be and try again later.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:47 PM, TBD 🚬 said:

What dog species do you have the most hard time grooming? 

Huskies and German Shepherds, no contest.

They are wonderful breeds but they generally don’t do well with being groomed. They tend to whine, thrash, and just overall won’t cooperate. They don’t become aggressive but more so just...don’t want to work with you. I’ll admit, it can be a bit frustrating when working with them but it’s worth it making them feel/look better at the end of the day.

• Brohoof 3

18 hours ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

They are wonderful breeds but the generally don’t do well with being groomed. They tend to whine, thrash, and just overall won’t cooperate. They don’t become aggressive but more so just...don’t want to work with you. I’ll admit, it can be a bit frustrating when working with them but it’s worth it making them feel/look better at the end of the day.

ohh but husky is so soft though haha 

Another question, how long did it take you to feel comfortable when in comes to cutting their hair? since I know it must be difficult with them not standing still.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, TBD 🚬 said:

Another question, how long did it take you to feel comfortable when in comes to cutting their hair? since I know it must be difficult with them not standing still.

Where I work, assuming you have not attended a stylist school prior, employees start as bathers. In short, bathers can do everything aside from cut hair. After about a year of being a bather, you have the choice to go to stylist school. At the end of the day, it’s decided by the salon manager if you’re ready to move to that level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 6:25 PM, Bakugou is my Man said:

Huskies and German Shepherds, no contest.

They are wonderful breeds but they generally don’t do well with being groomed. They tend to whine, thrash, and just overall won’t cooperate. They don’t become aggressive but more so just...don’t want to work with you. I’ll admit, it can be a bit frustrating when working with them but it’s worth it making them feel/look better at the end of the day.

What do you think of labs? Mine has never actually been groomed but he;s always a total spaz when I get his nails cut. 

Also why did you give up being a vet tech?

16 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

What do you think of labs? Mine has never actually been groomed but he;s always a total spaz when I get his nails cut. 

Also why did you give up being a vet tech?

Labrador retrievers are one of the most commonly seen dogs in grooming so I’ve seen all kinds. Most of them are actually well behaved and cooperative! Some owners don’t bring their dogs in for any grooming because they act that way so I can understand not wanting to deal with that. However, groomers are properly trained to deal with dogs who become can become crazy.

It was actually when I was more than halfway done with school did I realize I didn’t want to pursue it. I lost interest in it and saw it as more of a chore rather than a dream career. It got worse after I got my first legitimate position as a vet tech. I hated it. For the most part, it was due to the environment considering more than half the people I worked with were total bitches but I ultimately decided to give it up. I am much happier.

• Brohoof 2

On 10/8/2020 at 8:42 PM, Renegade the Unicorn said:

What about dog grooming do you enjoy the most?

I love meeting all sorta of dogs. Each one has its own personality and all dogs are adorable in my eyes. It just makes you feel good to make the dog feel & look good.

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, Muffinnz said:

Do you have knowledge or experience with cats?

I do. At the college I attended, I learned how to work with dogs, cats, and exotics.

• Brohoof 1

Do you know how to stop the cat from flipping the water bowl with his paw? Tape doesn't stick since the area is always wet

How do i make sure that when I let it outside into the neighborhood on its own for the first time that it will come back home?

4 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I guess in general, what does the job of vet tech actually entail?

I'm toying with the idea of that as a career. 

Think of the veterinarian as the doctor while the veterinary technician as the nurse. We check in the patients, take vitals, and relay that to the vet. However, there is more to it than that. We are in charge of monitoring patients under anesthesia, calculating medication dosages, venipuncture (drawing blood), taking radiographs, performing dental cleanings, restraining, giving IV fluids, and more. Vet tech school is shorter than veterinary school but it is still quite extensive and difficult.

Fun fact: Vet techs cannot legally do the following...

1. Prescribe medication
  2. Diagnose
  3. Prognose
  4. Perform surgery 
22 hours ago, Yakamaru said:

What's your favourite dog breed?

And on that note, which breed do you have the most fun grooming?

Any particular dog you've enjoyed grooming?

- I really do love all dog breeds. They are all adorable in their own way! But if I had to choose a favorite, it would probably be a pit bull.

-As far as the most enjoyable dog to groom? Again, pit bulls. They are so loving and I have yet to deal with one who has given me any issues. They tend to be such angels.

- I do see a regular client (Leo). He is a mini American Eskimo and I do like seeing him! Not only is he super cute but he is also a bit of a brat. He will bite when dealing with his feet. You can manage it if you know what you’re doing and honestly, I think it’s part of his charm. 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Muffinnz said:

Do you know how to stop the cat from flipping the water bowl with his paw? Tape doesn't stick since the area is always wet

How do i make sure that when I let it outside into the neighborhood on its own for the first time that it will come back home?

Cats flip their bowls for a few different reasons.. It could be because the water isn’t fresh, the cat sees the bowl as a toy, or maybe they know they’ll get your attention when they flip it over. I have heard great things from cat owners to invest in cat water fountains. It constantly circulates fresh water and it is too large to be moved by the cat.

In my opinion, all domesticated cats should remain indoors at all times. There are simply too many risks associated with letting them out: getting struck & killed by a car, getting killed by another animal, getting stuck somewhere, getting injured via other means like by machine, catching a disease or parasite, someone stealing the cat unintentionally or intentionally, or the cat simply getting lost and can’t find its way back. You can never be assured that you’ll see them again. If you insist on letting your cat outside, though, make sure it is always up to date on all of its vaccines (particularly rabies), is microchipped, and has a proper collar/ID tag. As far as making sure he or she will always come back? You can’t guarantee that, unfortunately.. I was taught in vet tech school to keeps cats indoors so we never learned any methods of teaching them to return home if let out.

12 minutes ago, TheRockARooster said:

That’s my Perry.

37838186-1FA1-4A17-8347-78BD8A7DE20F.jpeg.d231d22bee488da295499f74ca70c269.jpeg

Such a cutie ❤️ Isn’t he your late dog..?

2 minutes ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

Cats flip their bowls for a few different reasons.. It could be because the water isn’t fresh, the cat sees the bowl as a toy, or maybe they know they’ll get your attention when they flip it over. I have heard great things from cat owners to invest in cat water fountains. It constantly circulates fresh water and it is too large to be moved by the cat.

In my opinion, all domesticated cats should remain indoors at all times. There are simply too many risks associated with letting them out: getting struck & killed by a car, getting killed by another animal, getting stuck somewhere, getting injured via other means like by machine, catching a disease or parasite, someone stealing the cat unintentionally or intentionally, or the cat simply getting lost and can’t find its way back. You can never be assured that you’ll see them again. If you insist on letting your cat outside, though, make sure it is always up to date on all of its vaccines (particularly rabies), is microchipped, and has a proper collar/ID tag. As far as making sure he or she will always come back? You can’t guarantee that, unfortunately.. I was taught in vet tech school to keeps cats indoors so we never learned any methods of teaching them to return home if let out.

Such a cutie ❤️ Isn’t he your late dog..?

Yeah, he is.

I miss him everyday but I know he’s looking down on me.

❤️❤️

• Brohoof 1

On 10/16/2020 at 7:20 AM, Yakamaru said:

What kind of tasks do you do as a dog groomer?

As a dog groomer, I am responsible for:

• Trimming and/or grinding nails
  • Cleaning and/or plucking ears
  • We sometimes paint nails!
  • Shaving paw pads
  • Bathing/drying
  • Brushing teeth
  • Brushing
  • Haircuts
On 10/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Which dog breed has been the most affectionate so far? 

Back to pit bulls. They are just little angels and love all the attention they get from us :wub:

• Brohoof 3