Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

12-hour time or 24-hour time?

Octavia Heartstrings

12-hour time or 24-hour time?  

24 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 12-hour (12:00 AM - 11:59 PM)
    • 24-hour (00:00 - 23:59)

Which system of time do you prefer to use: 12-hour time (12:00 AM - 11:59 PM) or 24-hour time (00:00 - 23:59)?

I prefer 24-hour time, absolutely no contest. Since each hour of the day has its own unique number, there's never any AM/PM ambiguity. 12-hour time is just silly to me, honestly.

• Brohoof 4

12 hour time is just cringy and stupid. 24 hour time should be everywhere. It makes absolutely no sense to go from 12 to 1, its just really stupid. It offends me on a spiritual level.

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, LyraLover said:

If I ever become president, that will be the first law I pass!

I'd also switch out the 12 month calendar system which is extremely annoying and antiquated. I'd start the first of the year on the longest day of the year.

printable-perpetual-calendar-13-month-ca

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I'd also switch out the 12 month calendar system which is extremely annoying and antiquated. I'd start the first of the year on the longest day of the year.

Ooh, I really like that calendar! Especially the month names.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, LyraLover said:

Ooh, I really like that calendar! Especially the month names.

Personally I think the way we keep track of time with a 7 day week, 12 hour system, and our messed up calendar is quite repulsive. It needs to change.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

I tried to learn the 24 hour time and I failed :scoots: For now I prefer a 12 hour clock

Each hour just counts up from 12, 1:00 in the afternoon is 13:00 and so on.

24 hour time makes more sense obviously. But I've been brought up on 12 hour time my whole life so it's more natural for me. So yeah, it's gonna be 12 hour for me, even if it is dumb.  

Tried 24, that didn't work, so 12 for us. Also I don't understand half the the points "for" 24...

And to the French metric calendar, didn't they have metric time too? Based on 10 or 100 or something?

I can work with both systems, but I prefer the 0 - 24 h system and it's the only system used where I live. So I was taught this system as a child and it's my native way of reading time. So I guess I'm biased here, but I'd also agree that this system makes more sense.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-04-04 at 3:09 PM, Califorum said:

I've looked into stuff like that. The main argument against it is that it's hard to divide the year into thirds and quarters.

• Brohoof 1

24:00 is more clear to me.

I also say 13 hour 30 or 13 hour 45 or 14 hour 15 instead of the fancy confusing ways to say it which makes me be there too late or too early.

• Brohoof 1

Since english on my phone forces 12-hours system clock I was forced to learn it, but I've never been able to understand it:crackle:

I always mix up AM and PM and the 12-1 transition really confuses me. 12AM, is it morning or night? If it's night, did the day ended or it ends at 1AM. So confusing. In 24-hours system everything is logical (and after some time you will automatically associate 11am with 11, 14:00 with 2pm and so on)

And the most important, 00:00 means new day arrived. Easy and clear

• Brohoof 2

When I was in high school, I took part in the AFJROTC program all 4 years. It was in that program did we learn how to read 24 hour time and ever since then, that is the format I have used on all of my devices.

• Brohoof 1