Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Do the Comics Treat Sombra Better Than the Show?

Misty Shadow

We all already know how Sombra got obliterated in the show despite getting redeemed in the comics. And just today, Sombra received superior treatment in the comics again. 

Spoiler

In the sequel to MLP/Transformers, Sombra gets apprehended and put in a cage instead of being destroyed. Dead serious, they don't even try to blow him up knowing that he can just regenerate, they just imprison him like they do with every other villain for a change. :o 

large.jpg

This was Sombra in his S9 personality from the show too, not his personality from the comics. Not only that, but the Season 10 comic does not acknowledge the show canon of Sombra destroying The Tree of Harmony, making it possible for his reformation to be canon in that continuation of the show timeline. It's getting harder and harder to believe this is just coincidence. Does the show staff just not like Sombra while the IDW staff does? :mlp_huh: 

(edited)

For all the comic's faults, there's a fair share of things they still do better than the show.

Spoiler

I also like how they actually kept him alive here instead of stoning him immediately unlike the Terrible Trio despite doing worse(MIND CONTROLLING ALIEN ROBOTS)

They probably had different ideas of what they wanted to do with him vs the show, and even when retconned, they still probably wanted to keep him around

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Megas said:

For all the comic's faults, there's a fair share of things they still do better than the show.

Hide contents

I also like how they actually kept him alive here instead of stoning him immediately unlike the Terrible Trio despite doing worse(MIND CONTROLLING ALIEN ROBOTS)

They probably had different ideas of what they wanted to do with him vs the show, and even when retconned, they still probably wanted to keep him around

I disagree with "doing worse". The Terrible Trio attempted to kill the Mane 6. Sombra did not despite the fact that they tried to kill him. :twi: However, I can agree that this character of him definitely deserved

Spoiler

such a comeuppance as stoning, and I do like how they subverted expectations the right way:mlp_smug:

Hope that in the finale to the crossover, they make keeping him around worthwhile by explaining his destiny. 

Because the writers of the show often do it in a half assed manner because they are either lazy, out of ideas, or simply don't care about the characters. That, and they probably only care about hasbro toys. The villains in the show really needed some development. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Starforce said:

Because the writers of the show often do it in a half assed manner because they are either lazy, out of ideas, or simply don't care about the characters. That, and they probably only care about hasbro toys. The villains in the show really needed some development. 

I wouldn't be that harsh, especially when the writers for the show are out of the target demographic for most Hasbro toys. :P We all love to burn the writers at the stake for Season 9 not living up to our expectations, but many ideas they had for that season did in fact have to be cut and simplified. Yes, even that infamous twist we all despise was originally going to be implemented a lot more cleverly and I did a whole freaking theory on an idea for Sombra that was very likely simplified. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Starforce said:

Most of the stuff the writers came up with in the later seasons barely or didn’t even get much toys lol

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Starforce said:

Yup, and from what I'd heard from behind the scenes leaks, it REALLY shows, so badly.

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I wouldn't be that harsh, especially when the writers for the show are out of the target demographic for most Hasbro toys. :P We all love to burn the writers at the stake for Season 9 not living up to our expectations, but many ideas they had for that season did in fact have to be cut and simplified. Yes, even that infamous twist we all despise was originally going to be implemented a lot more cleverly and I did a whole freaking theory on an idea for Sombra that was very likely simplified. :fluttershy:

True.

51 minutes ago, Megas said:

Most of the stuff the writers came up with in the later seasons barely or didn’t even get much toys lol

*cough*Student Six*cough*

Anyways, as for this question? I never read the comics, so I have no opinion on it, but I can guess the reason why Sombra was handle better in the comics than the show was because of creative freedom and give him more of a interesting background than a 22 minute episodic series like FiM.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Even if it retained my least-favorite Sombra persona (The Beginning Of The End), at-least this was actually a cool version of it: a Unicron-evoking entrance, and dire enough for a multiversal teamup.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

I feel like they did this because the show was aimed towards children at the start and had planned to be that way for a while and the comics were aimed at our fandom when they noticed the rise in interest from older people too

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-07-22 at 8:46 PM, Starforce said:

Duo to the format the show usually goes for, its hard to develop villains. But, in season 9 the villains were actually pretty well developed (without reforming them to boot). 

I actually like it when the villains meet an unpleasant end and get what they deserve so I liked sombras end much more in season 9. I don't mind the reformations but not everyone can be reformed, and just putting them in prison wouldn't have cut it either.