Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fixing Double Rainboom

eddeams

Remember Double Rainboom? That one fan-animated "episode" of MLP that turned out to be a total bust? Well here's how I would fix it:

• Advertise it as a Powerpuff Girls crossover from the start and build upon the premise: One of the most jarring things about Double Rainboom is that it turned out to be a crossover with the Powerpuff Girls, a show that Lauren Faust worked on and even her husband Craig McCracken created. None of the trailers ever said anything about this and I would rectify this problem by having the trailers advertise it as a crossover from the very beginning. Likewise, the whole plot wouldn't kick off until the characters from both shows meet.
  • Use pop culture references more sparingly and cleverly: While I honestly don't mind pop culture references, Double Rainboom went overboard with them and inserted them without a hint of context. I would use them less frequently and as humorous meta references. (Like Bubbles and Twilight Sparkle both being voiced by Tara Strong)
  • Keep everybody/pony in character: This is another major problem with the episode: All of the characterizations were off. Rainbow Dash is portrayed as a selfish jerk who endangers the lives of everyone around her, the Powerpuff Girls are portrayed as sociopaths who threaten to harm an innocent, and so on. Every character would be rewritten according to their proper characterization.

On a side note, I doubt all the girls would fawn over the ponies. Especially Buttercup.

• Brohoof 1

I do miss this era of Bronydom though. The fandom was new and Double Rainboom was the most ambitious fan-made project known in 2011; I enjoyed watching it when it was finally released even if it was not as good as people were expecting.

I was checking to see if there were other prominent animators at the time and I found out that the Duo Cartoonist channel was deleted; then was a time of a fandom on the ascent in contrast to today it seems to have been on the decline for years with deleted Brony content becoming increasingly common.

• Brohoof 1

I was with them until the Cartoon Network crossover happened and I even thought the Back to the Future reference was mildly clever.

That being said, Double Rainboom was cool the first couple of times I watched but the novelty wore off quickly. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know what there is to fix. The project is a product of 2010s and the jokes were funny during that time. Maybe make it shorter than 30 minutes because people today have short attention spans.

• Brohoof 2