Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ponies do you think knew before it was revealed . . .

FearTheBelle

That the Pegasi Royals were lying about being able to fly?

Obviously the Pegasus who was orchestrating their entrances and Pipp’s performance had to have known, and presumably at least some of their guards would had to have known or at least suspected since they didn’t fly outside the public eye. And in my opinion, surely, some commonfolk Pegasi had to suspect that something wasn't right, or at least think it was very strange, that only their rulers could fly out of all Pegasi in the world.

Do you think anyone else could have known or at least guessed they were frauds?

I posted this question on Reddit and got a few responses, but I thought it'd be a fun thing to think about here, too. 

8 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

How's that any different than a stage show?

The difference is whether you try to really mislead the audience or not.

For example - a stage magician performs tricks that look like he can do something that's not possible. However, the audience know they are just tricks and that the magician did not just saw a woman in half (and then put her back together) on stage.

On the other hand, you can use the same techniques to make people believe you can communicate with the dead or heal people or whatever. This means that you distort people's perception of reality and that some people will not go to a real doctor because they'll believe that you will heal them etc. This is morally wrong IMO.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

How's that any different than a stage show?

@Pentium100 explained the differences very well, but there's another. When someone's on stage, the audience automatically knows they're attempting to act, and thus will judge by how well they perform. However, Zipp, Pipp, Queen Haven, and presumably their ancestors literally convinced every pegasus in Zephyr Heights for generations that they have a gift of flying that's missing from the rest. That's why their deception is headline-making.

I guess the question shouldn't be "who knew about it" but more like "who preferred to accept the lie".

With all the stuff they had to prepare their lies (those who came up with the lie, those who planned and built it and those who controlled it), it very likely that many were assuming that the royals were lying. However, they prefered to accept the lie than losing hope and gicing in to depression like the unicorns.

I mean, we all saw how depressed the unicorns had been. They just waited for their deaths/exctinction. The pegasi would also have become way more depressed/angry, so I think they preferred false hope over a horrible truth.

So in short, I think those who were smart knew/assumed that the royals had been lying but preferred to keep their false hope. The children believed it