Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S02:E05 - The Cutie Mark Mix-Up

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: The Cutie Mark Mix-Up
Release Date: September 26, 2022
Written By: Jim Martin
Synopsis: Sunny and Hitch learn what it's like to trot in each others' horseshoes. Opaline sends a spy to the Crystal Brighthouse, where animals are running amok!

NOTE: Episode is only available on NetFlix for the foreseeable future. Please keep that in mind!

So it's A Royal Problem with Sunny and Hitch instead of Celestia and Luna? Interesting! ...Despite being incredibly predictable. It's more "good" than "great" to me for that reason, but there's a lot of good jokes that I enjoyed, particularly the opening gag and the lines that came from Izzy. I also like it whenever they do the traditional hoof shake between Sunny and Hitch, it's always cool. :fluttershy: 

• Brohoof 1

The whole conflict between sunny and hitch was pretty boring (to me felt forced as well) and the plot with the other 3 wasn't all that great either, although there were some nice jokes and gags. The villains plot line really saved that episode for me. Also, what was that about a book about the elements? 

• Brohoof 2

If gen 5 is connected with gen 4( which it is).... Then this episode is made up and full of mistakes.... Switching your cutie marks DOSN'T switch your personality BUT your talent and power.

If your gonna say " but why did they got boring sad and neutral, when starlight removed their cutie mark?"

WELL!!! it's because that's the side effect of being useless and a talentless nobody... You get bored and depressed if you ain't got no purpose. 

Not only did their abilities and talent changed... Their personalities aswell!? Iiissshhh

14 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

If gen 5 is connected with gen 4( which it is).... Then this episode is made up and full of mistakes.... Switching your cutie marks DOSN'T switch your personality BUT your talent and power.

If your gonna say " but why did they got boring sad and neutral, when starlight removed their cutie mark?"

WELL!!! it's because that's the side effect of being useless and a talentless nobody... You get bored and depressed if you ain't got no purpose. 

Not only did their abilities and talent changed... Their personalities aswell!? Iiissshhh

It was changed with Sparky's magic in this case, not Starlight's. Starlight didn't want to change Celestia and Luna's personalities. There's no established rule in Friendship is Magic that says two character's personalities can't be switched. 

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It was changed with Sparky's magic in this case, not Starlight's. Starlight didn't want to change Celestia and Luna's personalities. There's no established rule in Friendship is Magic that says two character's personalities can't be switched. 

True.... BUT! why switch the cutie mark if you just wanted to switch their personality? Then again we could say that not only did the cutie mark switch but personality as well. Actually it's like some part of their soul was switched rather than personality wise...

Anyway the act of SWITCHING the cutie mark dictates that their cutie mark also implies their personality as well. So hence gen 5 pretty much ruled it to be that cutie marks heavily influence their personalities as well.... Which is kind of true too... I mean if your cutie mark is about money then I guess your personality would fit of a rich person... 🤔:mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Not only did their abilities and talent changed

Not... really - they're both leaders that want to help others, so it was more of a personality swap

Would be interesting to see what changing the marks of ponies that are actually different would do, like Sunny and Pipp, or Hitch and Izzy

• Brohoof 1

Admittedly while a fun episode at times, this was one of the weaker episodes for me. The main plot just didn't feel natural and...I guess forced? Granted stupid arguments like that can definitely happen between long-time friends, but...still, it didn't resonate with me. Maybe it will upon subsequent viewings!

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-09-28 at 2:39 AM, The Nth Doctor said:

Not... really - they're both leaders that want to help others, so it was more of a personality swap

Would be interesting to see what changing the marks of ponies that are actually different would do, like Sunny and Pipp, or Hitch and Izzy

Hmmm ..... Yes their both leaders....but the other ones an alicorn and the other is a sheriff... To tell you the truth hitch should've been the alicorn not sunny. :ButtercupLaugh:

....but their laws and rules should still apply to gen 4 which the problem is it didn't match up. Hence if they're gonna wing it they shoulda just abandoned the idea that gen 4 is connected to gen 5.... Unless!.... Unless gen 5 ISNT really connected to gen 4!

This is another timeline created by STARLIGHT GLIMMER!!! 

Very good episode. I loved this one. It was very interesting to see a reference to the “Royal Problem” episode in G4. Opaline’s mouse was interesting. Misty is so cute when she wanted a friend out of the mouse.

• Brohoof 1

An average episode for me. The main story is similar to "Magical Mystery Cure" and "A Royal Problem". The villain arc gets pretty interesting though, I hope for some interaction between Misty and the Mane Five in future episodes.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I guess this type of episode is one G5 had to try, though if they're going to rehash something done better in FiM and the comics, they really ought to try harder.  Sunny and Hitch just seemed out of character...though I suppose what's in-character for both of them is whatever is convenient for the plot, so I guess I can't really say that.  While I'm glad Sunny isn't portrayed as just a pure saint for a change, it really seemed to me that the fighting between these two started at the drop of a hat.  It's not as if Opaline cast some Siren-type spell, so it seemed to just come out of nowhere.  I can understand two longtime friends having an argument, but there just isn't a precedent with these characters that would make it believable, like it was with Celestia and Luna.  Maybe it would have been too obviously plagiarized if it happened to the Pegasus Sisters, but at least I would have believed it if it was them.

Izzy and Pipp both had their usual annoying switches in the on position, and they played off of each other in the worst possible way too.  Once again, Zipp was the only decent character.  I'm glad Sparky wasn't too annoying, though apparently his dragon magic can do whatever is convenient for the plot, so whatever I suppose. 

For the positive, I guess Opaline actually getting into the Brighthouse does move the plot forward.  Even though the plot was forced, I do appreciate Sunny and Hitch learning to appreciate one another.  Still...not one of the stronger episodes, I'm sorry to say.

• Brohoof 1

Ah, the classic switch in kid shows. But the episode was too annoying to watch completely, so I skipped some irrelevant parts. In this, Hitch and Sunny are childhood friends having an argument. Ok, everything normal until the overpowered dragon acts up. It would have been more logical if Opaline had done the cutie mark mix, but anyways... With "The Cutie Mark Mix-Up" I learned just one thing: you can't compare the job of a sheriff with a smoothie vendor.