Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01: EP64 - Very Bad Hair Day

DivineMist1000

I think this might be one of the better episodes of TYT.  It provides a new situation/premise, and I'm always for any situation where Pipp needs to problem solve.  I will nitpick it a little for Pipp immediately jumping to the conclusion that her mane couldn't be fixed rather than trying everything, as she could have just had a really bad case of bedhead, even though it did actually turn out to be a curse.  This episode isn't wholly original either, as it does reach into the ye olde G5 trope jar (remind me to never turn that into a drinking game or I would die of alcohol poisoning).  I can check off one of Pipp's products being the setup, and Sparky's dragon fire being the solution.  Also, Sparky likely caused the problem, so I can check that off.  If I had any feedback for G5...I could probably write a whole book, but I will say it really ought to depend a little less on reusing elements that we have already seen. 

Still, I can't quite get Bingo this time, as Izzy wasn't the cause, and Bridlewood wasn't the solution, so points for the episode not being regurgitated in its entirety.  Also, Pipp wasn't on social media in this short.  It was good to see Wendy again too, even if she's a very basic character (to be fair so is most of the Mane Six).  All in all, the episode does its job, and is entertaining enough to watch, so I'll give it as much of a thumbs up as I can for a TYT short.  

• Brohoof 3

I've watched the episode now, it's a good one. I like how they're really going all out with the expansion of dragon lore and how Pipp got to save the day after that gag of her being able to deduce everything that happened just from a mention of the Dragon Lands. Of course, Sparky has to be the one to cause the episode's problem, but I enjoyed watching Pipp fix it in style. 

• Brohoof 2

It was alright. If I were a customers or follower though I would be a little more mad after she fixed it. I mean she ruined manes and days and it not the first time she’s had defective things. But I guess she’s a princess so maybe that makes it ok? :dash:

• Brohoof 1

It this point, why does anyone buy anything from Pipp. Her products are constantly causing problems one way or another. You'd think that a lot of these ponies would lose trust in her ability to make safe products, yet they still keep buying from her for some reason. It's basically a joke at this point. Other than that, I don't have too much to say about this episode. I do like that Windy is back though. She seemingly is becoming one of TYT's most prominent secondary characters.

• Brohoof 2

On 2023-10-27 at 1:41 PM, Landi said:

It this point, why does anyone buy anything from Pipp. Her products are constantly causing problems one way or another. You'd think that a lot of these ponies would lose trust in her ability to make safe products, yet they still keep buying from her for some reason. It's basically a joke at this point. Other than that, I don't have too much to say about this episode. I do like that Windy is back though. She seemingly is becoming one of TYT's most prominent secondary characters.

Ha, good point.  I think I'm used to TYT's tropey writing by this point, hence why that didn't occur to me, but yeah, she should be losing customers left and right.  I don't know why most stallions have a use for hairspray and hoof treatment anyways.  I suppose there is always a need for a hairdresser, but they could turn down any product for their mane.  The series is written as though all ponies in Maretime Bay have nothing better to do than hang out at Pipp's salon.  To be fair...maybe they don't.  What is there to do in Maretime Bay?  

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Ha, good point.  I think I'm used to TYT's tropey writing by this point, hence why that didn't occur to me, but yeah, she should be losing customers left and right.  I don't know why most stallions have a use for hairspray and hoof treatment anyways.  I suppose there is always a need for a hairdresser, but they could turn down any product for their mane.  The series is written as though all ponies in Maretime Bay have nothing better to do than hang out at Pipp's salon.  To be fair...maybe they don't.  What is there to do in Maretime Bay?  

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Maretime Bay is just a very boring location, and the writers haven't really done anything to make it unique. To make matters worse, most of G5 takes place here. It's too bad that the setting for this generation is so bland.

On 2023-10-29 at 11:39 AM, Landi said:

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Maretime Bay is just a very boring location, and the writers haven't really done anything to make it unique. To make matters worse, most of G5 takes place here. It's too bad that the setting for this generation is so bland.

What's even worse than that is...it doesn't have to be.  The writers, artists and animators could do so much more to make it fun and exciting.  By rights, Ponyville shouldn't be half as exciting as it is either, because it's also a quaint, middle of nowhere type of town, and it doesn't even have the luxury of being near a large body of water.  But, because it has its share of interesting landmarks, it does its job and then some.  What does Maretime Bay have landmark-wise?  There's the Rainbow Brighthouse on the outskirts.  Hitch has his sheriff's office, and Pipp has Mane Melody.  Is that really it?  I may or may not even be able to point out the latter two on a map depending on how detailed it is.  

Regardless, a seaside town should be interesting.  It's quaint, which is one aspect that it shares with Ponyville, but that's not enough for a location to be interesting.  I do like that there's one road with a bridge that crosses overtop of Main Street.  More architectural flourishes like that would be nice.  I'm assuming the main reason it doesn't have the kind of multi-leveled road system I'm thinking of, is because Zephyr Heights has it in spades, though that kind of detail would make the streets of Maretime Bay interesting.  I think the issue primarily comes down to a lack of interesting landmarks though.  

• Brohoof 2

Is Windy going to be relevant in MYM C6 or something? Another episode in which she is a key character. Okay episode, had some funny moments, some facial expressions were pretty good. 

Also someone should supervise Pipps products, another one that backfires. 

Really reminds me I need to get a haircut soon. Pipp centered episodes are always a blast. I enjoyed the sequence at the end where she went around curing people of their mane problems. Sparky being the cause of the problem is a really tired and over-done trope, but overlooking that - it was a good good episode.

On 2023-10-31 at 6:21 AM, AlbaTross said:

What's even worse than that is...it doesn't have to be.  The writers, artists and animators could do so much more to make it fun and exciting.  By rights, Ponyville shouldn't be half as exciting as it is either, because it's also a quaint, middle of nowhere type of town, and it doesn't even have the luxury of being near a large body of water.  But, because it has its share of interesting landmarks, it does its job and then some.  What does Maretime Bay have landmark-wise?  There's the Rainbow Brighthouse on the outskirts.  Hitch has his sheriff's office, and Pipp has Mane Melody.  Is that really it?  I may or may not even be able to point out the latter two on a map depending on how detailed it is.  

For that matter, Ponytropico teased a whole new location accessible from Maretime Bay, only to throw it out in favor of a stock moral. Boo.

At any rate, Pipp really needs to test her new products more thoroughly, and properly protect them from contamination.

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

For that matter, Ponytropico teased a whole new location accessible from Maretime Bay, only to throw it out in favor of a stock moral. Boo.

At any rate, Pipp really needs to test her new products more thoroughly, and properly protect them from contamination.

So...a lifetime ban should be issued to Izzy then.  While we're at it, Sparky too.