general Does anyone have a Bug-Out Bag?

Dreambiscuit

For those who are unfamiliar with bug-out bags, they are survival kits for basic emergencies, major catastrophes, zombie apocalypse and the like. Everyone who has a bug-out bag packs them according to their sense of priorities for any situation. You never know what emergency might arise so you have to be ready for anything. So the question here is: Do you have a bug-out bag? And if so, what do you have in it?

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Excited 1

6 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

For those who are unfamiliar with bug-out bags, they are survival kits for basic emergencies, major catastrophes, zombie apocalypse and the like. Everyone who has a bug-out bag packs them according to their sense of priorities for any situation. You never know what emergency might arise so you have to be ready for anything. So the question here is: Do you have a bug-out bag? And if so, what do you have in it?

I need to get one, Dreamy. :rarity:

They can come in handy for anything.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

To be honest, I don't have on and it's the first time I hear about something like that :o

Maybe I should check it out! 

• Hugs 2

(edited)

@Dreambiscuit, that's not fair at all! You started this topic and didn't tell what you have in your bug-out bag. 

Well. Crypty is well known travelling pony so I have something better than bug-out bag.

Drawing of bug-out bag! Heee heee jokin. I have a system. I have multiple little bags with assembled kits such as med-kit, campfire kit, electrician kit... barbeque kit to cook outside. Also I have several bags and backpacks of different sizes and colors stored in one place.

Usually I use this system to assemble bag for some trip quickly, because med-kit and hygiene kit are always useful but I can't take a knife to a flight in a business trip as well as a laptop maintenance kit is useless if I go to a camping party.

But I can assemble a bug-out bag in case of an emergency situation for minutes.

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

and the potato chips...for emergencies

Potato chips are great to start campfire lol. I have never tried to do it by myself of course. :jazz-hooves-please:

Edited by Captain Salty Scribbles
  • Delighted Giggle 1

Yes and no.

I've been a part time prepper since I read Hatchet in the 4th grade.

At its best, I had a to-go wooden fruit box that I originally used for holding toys. It contained a roll of toilet paper in a zip lock, various sizes of plastic bags, several Lighters, a box of a thousand matches, lamp oil, a change of clothes, a crank charging AM/FM radio, a hundred feet of Paracord plus a spool of twine, roll of duct tape, varying zip ties a few bungee cords, glow sticks, a few flashlights, pocket knife, a wool army blanket, spade, small fire extinguisher, pocket emergency kit, one urban and one wild survival book, a scars and tracks book, US road atlas, my state's atlas, maps of local hiking trails, notebook and writing utensils, a life straw and a 24 hour MRE, a mirror, orange survival bandana, gas mask, firework mortar and smoke bombs because I was too young to buy a flare gun, and I think that's pretty much it?

All in all weighed about 30 pounds which weighed about as much as the backpack I took to school so it didn't feel so heavy for the time.

My mountain bike at the time had a rear bike rack I could secure it to, and my plan was to grab the camel bag, pup tent, machete and axe from the garage.

I'm glad you brought up this topic @Dreambiscuit. Despite regularly making lists, I've realized there are items I should have had then, and others I dont have now. I have better access to things as an adult that I've failed to take advantage of. I'm not nearly as well put together as I was a decade ago.

Back then I really only considered myself. These days I have a lovely girlfriend and 2 cats that don't get along. I've kept an extra month's worth of cat food on hand pretty consistently, plenty of bottled water on hand because our pipes are gross. I had a week's worth of MREs but just found out I had another 2 boxes at my parents that I had forgotten about.

We also housesit enough that I have to regularly grab a bunch of the same necessities and don't bother unpacking half of it.

I've been meaning to put together a camping tote to keep in the truck, half survival, half opportunity to run away for the weekend if we ever wanted to. And I plan to get an ikea shelf to keep by the front door with color coded fabric storage for various events.

I don't worry about anything specifically, it's just a hobby with practicalities :lie:

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

I came up with the idea to have emergency kits at home because we experience earthquakes and other challenges here in SoCal, but I discovered that people have been using the supplies from the kits when they ran out of their regular stock. I think I'm going to create my own secret kit.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Don't forget the plushies and the potato chips...for emergencies. :rarity:

I know my Besties, Rarity and Pipp Petals would need to be nearby to keep me company. :kindness:

Oh, and my Bestie, EVE, too just in case of a Zombie attack. 

image.thumb.gif.0f32dbab1e7931ca1230c99d1f1036d0.gif

One of my hobbies is bushcraft (previously it was survival), so I can tell you a little about these kits. I used to look at such kits on the Internet. I wanted to buy one for myself, but I realized that almost all of these kits are crap. You can't survive with such kits. Some things in these kits are not needed, and other things that are needed are of poor quality. For example, a survival kit has hooks and other accessories for catching fish. Different types of fish live in different areas. To catch a certain type of fish, you need a certain hook. Such a hook may not be in the kit. A specific kit is needed for each area and situation. If you want a kit for yourself, you need to assemble it yourself from the necessary and high-quality things. It is better not to trust ready-made kits from the Internet. I have not yet assembled my own kit, but I will someday. Another very important thing is that you must be able to use everything that is in your kit!

• Brohoof 1