Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Welcome to the new server!

Twilight Sparkle ✨

If you're reading this, MLP Forums made it across to our new server safe and sound!

Explanation for the much-longer-than-30-minutes downtime

I originally expected the move to take around 30 minutes or so, because that's how long it took to move last time I switched servers. However, this time, I had a statistics tool set up which took an awfully long time to get its data ready to move over. This turned out to be a documented issue that I was, unfortunately, unaware of prior to starting the transfer, and is what slowed down the process so much.

Why this move was made

The new server is, in a nutshell, is much faster and a little cheaper than our old one. I was able to get a great deal on a massive dedicated box with 32 GB of RAM, two SSD's, and two huge hard drives. The OS and its applications are all installed on the SSD, and MySQL's databases are stored on it as well; meanwhile, non-database stuff like attachments are stored on the hard drives where there is tons of room for it. Both the SSD's and the hard drives are in RAID1, which increases performance and ensures that nothing will go offline in the event that a drive fails.

This means that unlimited attachment uploads aren't going anywhere, and the page loading times should be shorter, especially on longer threads. It's also going to be beneficial for Pony.fm, as that site is going to allow unlimited song uploads. Finally, I'm also able to pass the savings down to my hosting clients as well, which will allow me to offer them bigger packages for better prices.

Whom we're now hosting with

The company behind this awesome new server is I/O Flood. I want to take the time to give a special thanks to Gabe, who has been extremely helpful over the past couple of weeks in getting everything set up and ready to go for us in tip-top shape, offered me an amazing deal, and has gone above and beyond the level of service you'd normally expect from a hosting company. The hiccups we had in the process were due to unexpected behaviour in my control panel software, and had nothing to do with the server that his team delivered - although they were the ones who finally got to the bottom of yesterday's DNS breakdown.

Gabe, if you see this, you deserve mega kudos for everything you've done. Thank you. :D

• Brohoof 44

(edited)

This pleases me...GREATLY.

The speed is enormous...

Feld, I think it's TOO quick. I keep getting a driver error? It says...

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hdd/home/mlp/public_html/ips_kernel/classDbMysql.php on line 1103

Edited by frenzyhero

Feld, I think it's TOO quick. I keep getting a driver error? It says...

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hdd/home/mlp/public_html/ips_kernel/classDbMysql.php on line 1103

That's strange... it only appears on some topics. I'm looking into that.

(edited)

I'm assuming these SQL errors and Driver Errors are a result of the moving?

Kinda like when you move pictures around on imgur or photobucket & the links break?

Here's the most recent one I got from clicking on a hyperlink (in the signature requests google doc) :

http://mlpforums.com...640#entry484598

It did take me to the page correctly, (at least the link looks correct) but gave me this error:

mlpforums.com Driver Error

and nothing else on the page :blush: Amidoinitrite? or did i break it?

edited: haha jinx you guys!

Edited by PixiGlow

I'm assuming these SQL errors and Driver Errors are a result of the moving?

Kinda like when you move pictures around on imgur or photobucket & the links break?

Here's the most recent one I got from clicking on a hyperlink (in the signature requests google doc) :

http://mlpforums.com...640#entry484598

It did take me to the page correctly, (at least the link looks correct) but gave me this error:

mlpforums.com Driver Error

and nothing else on the page :blush: Amidoinitrite? or did i break it?

edited: haha jinx you guys!

Yeah, lot's of statuses about it, just thought I'd give you a formal notice of it...as formal as I get...

I'm aware of the issue - I ran into it myself. I'm reuploading all of IP.Board's core files as we speak, and it looks like things are already working again.

• Brohoof 2

"Driver error"

And that's why you shouldn't drink and drive Feld, really I expected better from you.

Anyway glad to see you're working on it.

• Brohoof 2

I'm actually feeling the difference of the speed. Loading a page on this site usually took about 4 seconds on the average, now it's taking 2 seconds and my internet hasn't been changed at all.

• Brohoof 3

I think my tip would sound like a Dear John/Jane letter -

Dear old server:

Sorry but the new server is faster, better, cheaper, and newer!

Laterz!

P.S. we can still be "friends".

• Brohoof 1

The new server is, in a nutshell, is much faster and a little cheaper than our old one. I was able to get a great deal on a massive dedicated box with 32 GB of RAM, two SSD's, and two huge hard drives. The OS and its applications are all installed on the SSD, and MySQL's databases are stored on it as well; meanwhile, non-database stuff like attachments are stored on the hard drives where there is tons of room for it. Both the SSD's and the hard drives are in RAID1, which increases performance and ensures that nothing will go offline in the event that a drive fails.

Now I'm just curious how large those SSD's are, haha :lol:

Anyways, looks like shit's gettin' real around these parts, lol. Nice one, Feld0 ! ;)

Now I'm just curious how large those SSD's are, haha :lol:

Anyways, looks like shit's gettin' real around these parts, lol. Nice one, Feld0 ! ;)

The SSD array has almost as much storage space as the HDD array in our old server did. Considering that there are only databases and software on it, free space on them won't become a concern for a very long time. So enjoy the performance and post away. :)

• Brohoof 2

Everything’s more perfect on my side, I can't write down any given amount of gratitude I have for the company, they, especially Gabe, have done amazing work with this. And I hope that in time, it will pay off more and more!

...next step....MEGA SERVER. >:3

Our new Mega Server line will include the newly announced E5 Xeon CPU, offering up to 6 CPU cores and 64GB Ram. Expected in July 2012

•Dual E5 Xeon CPUs

•64GB Ram

•12 CPU Cores

•1TB Western Digital Black Hard Drive

•Pricing TBD

Me gusta. :]

Sweet Celestia, this is fast. Faster than Rainbow Dash I think. I can scroll through any thread without having to wait for the pics/videos to load and the time between when you click something and when it happens is instantaneous. That means MORE PONIES PER HOUR!

• Brohoof 3

While I'm so far receiving any benefit in every single way thus far, I'm starting to get a lack of notifications for friends’ status updates again..... :|