Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scritches

84 users have voted

1. 1. Would you enjoy/be intrigued by a presentation on why a human invasion of equestria would fail?

• yes
    • no
    • Depends [ Please post below with your explanation(s) ]
    • Other [ Please post below with explanation(s) ]
  2. 2. Do you think a human invasion of Equestria would fail?

• Yes
    • No [ please post below with your explanation(s) ]
    • Unsure

Ponies have flying ability and magic.

We just have the clothes on our backs.

Quickest. Evasion. Fail. Ever.

Because everytime humans have gone to war, we've done so without, say, enough metric force to blow up the moon, flying machines capable of easily going Mach 3 (them going Mach 1 is considered significant), giant armored shells that we have to make tools specifically to blow up, orbital platforms capable of collecting and transmitting information at the SPEED OF LIGHT, and the sheer brilliance to design killing devices specifically to defeat any opponent we go against.
  • Brohoof 2

@Dreamwalker

It's not solid fact that the chaos must be near the statue for Discord to break free; and even if it were true, as Veiled Enigma said, I'm sure a large amount of ruthless bipedal creatures killing everything in sight would stir up enough chaos for Discord to be set loose, even if he were on the other side of the planet.

And I would quote myself in response to the weapon posts above, but I reckon you've already read the rest of the thread. :P

T-90

F-35

Ak-12

Desert Eagle .357

MP7

RPG-32

Bullet proof armor

M39 emr

Maska-1SCH helmet

A10 Warthog

In all honesty we could probably win a war against the UNSC from halo.

But think about what magic can do to all of that.

@Dreamwalker

It's not solid fact that the chaos must be near the statue for Discord to break free; and even if it were true, as Veiled Enigma said, I'm sure a large amount of ruthless bipedal creatures killing everything in sight would stir up enough chaos for Discord to be set loose, even if he were on the other side of the planet.

And I would quote myself in response to the weapon posts above, but I reckon you've already read the rest of the thread. :P

I've seen a few responses, but none that seem to sufficiently explain how ponies are going to deal with the death-bringing ferocity of, say, a machine gun.

As for Discord, he might end an invasion... at the cost of all harmony in Equestria. Or he might just help out the humans. Or we could snipe. He's not going to help the ponies too much in the end.

But think about what magic can do to all of that.

Their magic is very isolated to their "special skill", and rarely is it used for anything offensive. At most, they have defensive capabilities, but that was overcome by the Changelings. Think how much more powerful we are then they.
  • Brohoof 1

I've seen a few responses, but none that seem to sufficiently explain how ponies are going to deal with the death-bringing ferocity of, say, a machine gun.

As for Discord, he might end an invasion... at the cost of all harmony in Equestria. Or he might just help out the humans. Or we could snipe. He's not going to help the ponies too much in the end.

Their magic is very isolated to their "special skill", and rarely is it used for anything offensive. At most, they have defensive capabilities, but that was overcome by the Changelings. Think how much more powerful we are then they.

You don't think Discord would fight to defend Equestria? I know he's a troll, but he can't be that mean.

The changelings were banging at the shield Shining Armor had put up for a long time, while Chrysalis was weakening him as well. The shield would have collapsed even if the changelings hadn't been attacking it from the outside.

Magic has defensive properties, and it should have offensive properties, though not seen in the show (It's My Little Pony, for Christ's sake). I would bother explaining in another wall of text, but I find doing this easier.

Alright. I've read over all six long pages of this thread.

First, I'd like to say that I'm amazed at how confident you all are in the military.

Now, to start.

Every time a human supporter is given the scenario in which a pony escapes, it always ends up with a bullet in its head. This would never happen by default. If it's a unicorn, temporary force field, if it's a pegasus, it can dodge, and if it's an earth pony, the same rule applies as if it were a pegasus. You can't always be 100% confident that your bullet will hit the target perfectly, because it just won't happen. Humans are prone to making mistakes. And I also take into account the fact that an earth pony or pegasus can't always dodge a bullet, either. If they do, hooray, and if not, a tear will be shed. I reckon that pegasi are much more capable of dodging things than an earth pony, so I'd have to say their chances at life are 50-60%. As for an earth pony, likely 30-40% (maybe less).

After that, we have the issue of nuclear weapons. I'd like to say that the "Shining Armor's field was destroyed by changelings banging on it" argument isn't true. Shining Armor was exerting a large amount of energy, and the field required some degree of concentration, but do note that upon the field breaking, it was already extremely weak. Chrysalis was weakening him the entire time, and the field wouldn't have lasted much longer even without the changelings banging on it. In truth, I'd have to go with the reasoning that a nuclear strike wouldn't easily penetrate a unicorn's force field, and if the unicorn in question has half the magical ability of Twilight Sparkle, then he or she should be able to slow the missile or redirect it altogether. Yes, some missiles detonate by proximity, some by impact, and some by timer, and in this case an impact missile wouldn't likely receive a great enough impact force to detonate if it has been slowed down, rendering it useless. If redirected, it wouldn't take much more effort to make it fly back to where it came from, even if very slowly, in my opinion.One detonating from proximity wouldn't be likely to make it past the unicorn's force field, and one detonating by a timer would explode in the air if slowed.

And logical reasoning dictates that if a nuclear missile can't penetrate the field of a unicorn, neither can a bullet.

As for a pegasus, I'll go with the fact that a winged, quick-moving, and agile creature would be able to dodge a much larger, bulky missile. With warfare already happening, I doubt the unicorns on the ground wouldn't have some sort of shield up. As for an earth pony, the chances of surviving a missile are less likely, but who would directly lock a nuclear missile onto one organism?

Your answer for grenades is here as well. Explosives as such are thrown, and detonate either on impact or once the spark lights the explosives inside. Seeing as they are thrown, and humans have lesser physical limitations than ponies, the grenade can be easily redirected unless launched at high speeds from a machine. And then, refer to my bullet and missile reasoning above.

The basic things are there. Ponies won't be completely impervious to what humans throw at them, but are perfectly capable of providing a fight. Us humans will mostly rely on explosives, strategy, and bullets, if I'm not mistaken, and that can be matched by the brain power of certain ponies and the abilities of these creatures altogether.

After that, we've noted that ponies are familiar with some modern technology. Early computers (that analysis machine in Twilight's basement), tanks, cannons, and light artillery (guns and the sort, which should be included by default considering tanks are available) are some of the things they are already familiar with, if not already have, and will quickly be able to know the potential of our weapons (if this is a present and near-future experience).

Equestria has two goddesses (if not, then demigoddesses) that have enough magical power to move giant celestial bodies a great distance away at unfathomable speeds. Why not crash a large object (NOT THE SUN OR THE MOON) into invading forces? And yes, a bullet to the head would be fatal, even to them, but I doubt a bullet hole anywhere else in the body couldn't be repaired rather quickly, as goddesses (or even demigoddesses) should have some degree of healing ability by default. If the bullet penetrates the brain, they will almost certainly be damaged majorly, if not killed, but taking into account that they have magical ability far beyond that of a normal pony, the chances to occurrence of a bullet penetrating the brain are very VERY slim.

And I doubt that once somepony notices that there is a major threat to the country and/or the world that they will hesitate to alert the princesses.

As for dragons and other non-pony creatures, dragons have bulletproof scales, griffons have similar, if not congruent flying abilities as pegasi, zebras are like earth ponies with less strength, the same applies to mules, donkeys, and other members of that family. Parasprites may be able to wreak havoc on the human machines if used correctly. Animals will undoubtedly fight back if they know their world is in danger.

And, finally, we have a certain being named Discord. Note that Discord was only IMPRISONED in stone, not TURNED INTO stone, meaning that if the barrier breaks, a certain being will be set free, and that being (pardon my language) can do whatever he wants without giving a flying fuck about physics, universal laws, or any other thing. I'm sure that if he saw that the place (though the inhabitants of that place imprisoned him) he previously called a home was in danger, he'd do whatever he could (everything) to fight whatever was killing it.

Unless, of course, Discord is the biggest dick in the universe, which I doubt anyone could be that big of a dick (bad enough on the human's part for attacking a beautiful and peaceful land in the first place).

Discord, the Princesses, and magic solidify my opinion on who would win in a complete invasion.

But I have one final question for you Earth supporters to answer.

Should this ever come true, certainly, you have plans for everything, but where the hell will you get the money to do all of this? Imagine how many tons of resources it would take to make all of this and transport it to another star system. Like, really? You'll waste that much to invade another country for resources? For real?

Please let me know if I've missed anything!

(edited)

You don't think Discord would fight to defend Equestria? I know he's a troll, but he can't be that mean.

The changelings were banging at the shield Shining Armor had put up for a long time, while Chrysalis was weakening him as well. The shield would have collapsed even if the changelings hadn't been attacking it from the outside.

Magic has defensive properties, and it should have offensive properties, though not seen in the show (It's My Little Pony, for Christ's sake). I would bother explaining in another wall of text, but I find doing this easier.

If Discord had a chance to be set free during an invasion, he wouldn't side with anyone. He would go through the portal, or whatever source of transportation we used, to Earth. Earth would be the biggest playground for him considering we're already chaotic as hell, and we have a lot of technology based on creating chaos. So if he's set free, the humans, if not both sides, are to be fucked.

Enough force would eventually break any unicorn shield. A Sparkle family shield, I'm assuming, would take several, and I mean several missile strikes. But the Sparkle family aren't average unicorns, the average unicorn probably, if they even could, make a small personal shield that could survive a few dozen low caliber bullets. This is still a huge advantage for the ponies, but they're not as strong as what it is being made to sound like.

Edited by Veiled Enigma
  • Brohoof 2

Everyone seemed to think that all of the Unicorns are as strong as the Element of Magic. And all the Pegasi are as fast as the only Pegasus could ever made it past the sound barrier :/

Humans here could attack Equestria by both their huge number and sheer technological gap in the weapons. Unless the ponies can make a stand against our first strike which I'm pretty sure contain a whole lot of bombing with huge missiles, there is simply no chance that Equestria will survive.

To give you the image just how big our first attack will be (given the humans have enough time to prepare, and Equestria is on Earth), just check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L_ZCpR8OBI

Imagine that ship, dozens of them, bombarding the hell out of your house.

And that video is damn old, just imagine what kind of weapons we have right now. Too bad I'm too lazy to find any of them in action.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Everyone seemed to think that all of the Unicorns are as strong as the Element of Magic. And all the Pegasi are as fast as the only Pegasus could ever made it past the sound barrier :/

Humans here could attack Equestria by both their huge number and sheer technological gap in the weapons. Unless the ponies can make a stand against our first strike which I'm pretty sure contain a whole lot of bombing with huge missiles, there is simply no chance that Equestria will survive.

To give you the image just how big our first attack will be (given the humans have enough time to prepare, and Equestria is on Earth), just check this video

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L_ZCpR8OBI

Imagine that ship, dozens of them, bombarding the hell out of your house.

And that video is damn old, just imagine what kind of weapons we have right now. Too bad I'm too lazy to find any of them in action.

Except my house is completely defenseless, so dozens of that ship bombarding the hell out of my house would likely be chaotic not only on my house, but likely the rest of the neighborhood.

And I've admitted to the fact that not all unicorns are as strong as the Sparkle family, and that not all pegasi are as fast as Rainbow Dash. It should be fair to assume that they do have some degree of ability, though.

And besides Discord, Equestria still has Celestia, Luna, and the Elements of Harmony. I've already explained my thoughts on this.

Edited by Stoner Spike

Lulu, Tia, and Discy

Everyone knows that every nation that put their survival on measly three individuals, regardless how godly they are, will eventually crumble.

I don't really know how strong they are, but unless they are strong enough to withheld a nation wide siege that last for months, the ponies are good as extinct

Let's assume that all magic is fallible. After all, Shining Armor had to exert energy to keep it up, and it required a generator (love) to get it back going again. And the changelings break through it after it was weakened. Missiles will use a LOT more kinetic energy then small creatures banging over and over again.

Giving the ponies a 50% dodge rate only makes their demise that much more sure. We can fire HUNDREDS of bullets per second. What's more, we have the infrastructure for such war. They are, and I will emphasize, only at a steam-level in terms of technology. Every other invention we have seen that is more powerful has been hand-waved as being unicorn magic. Kill the unicorn, the magic goes away. And we WILL kill the unicorns. Humans have a remarkable ability to adapt to the situation at hand, and change up their strategies in order to defeat any force. The only military force we have seen are the royal guard, and they have been inn effectual in the face of every threat the kingdom has faced, leaving the work to a group of six ponies who can wield one weapon. I don't know how the Elements of Harmony work, but given the amount of Harmony the armed forces have, it would not be nearly as effective as against Chrysalis or Discord.

We are also forgetting a critical element of this: the fact that we are invading. We are tearing their lands and their homes apart. This is going to get them angry, and angry soldiers will break ranks and disobey orders, especially without a strong military infrastructure. They will, alternatively, get scared, and get mowed down easily. Assault rifles, machine guns, snipers, tanks, airplanes. We are attacking a largely undefended force, using modern tactics and weaponry. No matter how many they are, no matter if they dodge 75% of the bullets, there will always be one that they cannot avoid, and this will kill them. And I've only been assuming American involvement. If we had the Chinese, that would be ONE BILLION soldiers. We don't know how many ponies there are, but it appears to be rather sparsely populated. Even if they could kill us ten to one, which I doubt, EVEN for the princesses and Discord (bullets are rather chaotic, and there are plenty of them, assuming he breaks out, and helps the ponies). About Discord being a dick, he kind of is, and would revel in total war between humans and ponies.

Dragons would be nasty, but they tend to be solitary, and avoid open conflict unless punished. So they stay in their caves until we spray some nice little gas and watch them die. Parasprites are vile insects, but we have exterminators.

Their world is too nice and bubbly and sweet. Ours is not. Our world deals with the nastiest shit you can imagine, and there is a reason we are the dominant species. Because we kill EVERYTHING ELSE.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

And I've admitted to the fact that not all unicorns are as strong as the Sparkle family, and that not all pegasi are as fast as Rainbow Dash. It should be fair to assume that they do have some degree of ability, though.

And besides Discord, Equestria still has Celestia, Luna, and the Elements of Harmony. I've already explained my thoughts on this.

The availability of many magic users, and many natural fliers is a great advantage for the ponies. The fact that they have two goddesses and six ponies that are basically a reusable weapon of mass destruction is a huge advantage. But the humans also have a advantage easily 10 times as big. We have 6 billion beings compared, to what I am guessing, nearly 20 million ponies living in Equestria, and that is being generous in my opinion. Even with the huge advantage of two living goddesses, the humans can win the war on attrition alone.

Edited by Veiled Enigma
  • Brohoof 1

The ponies would make the Seven Hour War from the Half-Life series look like an intractable conflict. It's hard to take down two princess goddesses and the Elements of Harmony, let alone the other creatures which inhabit Equestria. Humanity should best prepare for its inevitable surrender to friendship and magic. The ponies are our new masters now.

Humanity should best prepare for its inevitable surrender to friendship and magic. The ponies are our new masters now.

Pray tell, how will those Equines drives us to our defeat?

With their hugs?

• Brohoof 1

The ponies would make the Seven Hour War from the Half-Life series look like an intractable conflict. It's hard to take down two princess goddesses and the Elements of Harmony, let alone the other creatures which inhabit Equestria. Humanity should best prepare for its inevitable surrender to friendship and magic. The ponies are our new masters now.

We have buckin' nukes. Who's to say they are more powerful than our WMD?

Obviously you haven't read my post on why we shouldn't use nukes in this situation. The goal here is to capture Equestria, not obliterate it.
  • Brohoof 1

Obviously you haven't read my post on why we shouldn't use nukes in this situation. The goal here is to capture Equestria, not obliterate it.

Actually one nuke to Canterlot after we bring the forcefield down would obliterate all their organization while leaving the vast majority of their resources untouched and killing Celestia all at the same time.

Plus, if their going after Earth, it's go time. We will love and tolerate nuke the shit out of them

(edited)

Pray tell, how will those Equines drives us to our defeat?

With their hugs?

The great unspoken truth is that humanity craves friendship. In the end, you always hug.

The implementation of nuclear weapons is a loss for everybody and everypony involved. No one wins, let alone humanity, if they are deployed. And if the princesses can alter the cycles of the sun and moon, thus interrupting weather patterns and potentially devastating entire ecological systems, then isn't that just as effective a doomsday scenario as being plunged into nuclear winter?

But the ponies wouldn't do that. So who wins? The vile human monsters with their apocalyptic weaponry or the innocent, peace-loving ponies?

This war sounds far from appealing.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

Actually one nuke to Canterlot after we bring the forcefield down would obliterate all their organization while leaving the vast majority of their resources untouched and killing Celestia all at the same time.

Plus, if their going after Earth, it's go time. We will love and tolerate nuke the shit out of them

Radiation will spread easily from Canterlot to the rest of Equestria making the entire continent uninhabitable for hundreds of years. And the scenario here is that we are invading Equestria for no reason at all; the ponies have no intentions of claiming Earth for themselves and even if they did they wouldn't have a chance. (oh no here comes a counter thead 0.0)

(edited)

I'm pretty sure the ponies are sensible enough to move their leaders out of the biggest target they have. But this is if they have a warning before the invasion started. If the humans go straight through the "portal" and send a nuke off right away, then it could be a very bad time for the ponies.

Radiation will spread easily from Canterlot to the rest of Equestria making the entire continent uninhabitable for hundreds of years.

It depends on the yield, and depth of the explosion, the distance from the explosion, and the amount of fallout at the site of said explosion. The radiation can last for hundreds of years if big enough, but can also last for a few decades if smaller.

Edited by Veiled Enigma

The thought that radiation spills everywhere is from using "dirty" nukes. We have h-bombs, which are much cleaner. More boom, less radiation. In the end, some will spill, but only as dictated by weather. The pegasi pony will put forth all their effort to prevent it from spreading.

The great unspoken truth is that humanity craves friendship. In the end, you always hug.

The implementation of nuclear weapons is a loss for everybody and everypony involved. No one wins, let alone humanity, if they are deployed. And if the princesses can alter the cycles of the sun and moon, thus interrupting weather patterns and potentially devastating entire ecological systems, then isn't that just as effective a doomsday scenario as being plunged into nuclear winter?

But the ponies wouldn't do that. So who wins? The vile human monsters with their apocalyptic weaponry or the innocent, peace-loving ponies?

This war sounds far from appealing.

And that's the point. We are humans. We are mean, and nasty, and scary, and we hate everything, because that's how we were raised. Humans are supreme. Humans are divine. If anything gets in our way, we blow it to hell, and move on. The only response we would have to the ponies would be domination or destruction.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It still wouldn't be worth it to destroy Canterlot. That is the capital city and there librays and such may contain untold knowledge which I gurantee would come in handy to any intergalactic empire that the humans would be trying to achieve.

Not to mention it is also the center of unicorn culture. We may be trying to slay harmless ponies but we would still understand the value of preserving history and culture from throughout the universe.

Edited by Krystal Serenity

It still wouldn't be worth it to destroy Canterlot. That is the capital city and there librays and such may contain untold knowledge which I gurantee would come in handy to any intergalactic empire that the humans would be trying to achieve.

It depends on what we're invading for. If we want resources, we can just say "Screw the knowledge of the beings we're slaughtering anyways, let's nuke em." Now if we're invading for a larger inter-dimensional empire of slaves, or what not, we can say the exact same thing. The only way I can see we wanting to save their books is if we're going for exactly that, their knowledge. Which would be a silly reason to invade in the first place.

It depends on what we're invading for. If we want resources, we can just say "Screw the knowledge of the beings we're slaughtering anyways, let's nuke em." Now if we're invading for a larger inter-dimensional empire of slaves, or what not, we can say the exact same thing. The only way I can see we wanting to save their books is if we're going for exactly that, their knowledge. Which would be a silly reason to invade in the first place.

I doubt we would travel all across space to another planet and slay the indigenous population just so we can harvest the rescources when numerous bodies nearby to Earth (Mars, asteroids, moons, etc) have all of the rescources we will ever need (at least for the next couple thousand years) and then some.

(edited)

I doubt we would travel all across space to another planet and slay the indigenous population just so we can harvest the rescources when numerous bodies nearby to Earth (Mars, asteroids, moons, etc) have all of the rescources we will ever need (at least for the next couple thousand years) and then some.

Then why would we be invading? Invading a peaceful race for knowledge is very stupid, when we could just have an agreement beneficial to both sides. So I can only assume that we're invading for slaves, and killing their Goddess leaders at the expense of a few hundred other ponies, and some books would be an excellent move. Edited by Veiled Enigma

Here's an idea: Instead of dropping the bomb, we hold it over their head. Use footage, video tapes, etc., to prove the sheer destructive power we're talking about. We hold Canterlot hostage, ask ever so politely for what they have, and keep them under their thrall for as long as we desire. Heck, we could even set up a colony and control them, similar to imperialism in the 1700s and 1800s.

• Brohoof 2