Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake been in more episodes?

pinkiefan1287

This is something I was thinking about when Pound and Pumpkin were put into the show. How are they going to be used in the show? Would they be in the background at the Sugarcube Corner, would Mr. and Mrs. Cake or Pinkie Pie be walking around town with them, what were they going to do with them. In the end Pound and Pumpkin would only show up 2 more times. So could they have shown up in any other episode?

Now I'm not saying they needed to be in every episode or have any big roles, but it just feels like they could have been in some episodes to show that they still existed. Like in the episode the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, Mr. and Mrs. Cake are almost at the front of the line. We also know that a lot of Ponies camped out there that night. So does that mean they camped out there that night to with Pinkie Pie? So who's watching them that night and the next day? I think it would be hard to find a baby-sitter to watch them that night and then watch them that day and miss out on one of the biggest town events that year seeing as everypony in town is there. I mean they could have put them back further in the line and have Mrs. Cake with the saddle bag they have for them.

Also after this episode the mane 6 and other charter would be at the Sugarcube Corner a lot more. We would be there during Hearts and Hooves day, Putting your hoof down, Mrs. Cake would show up in It's about time, They were in the episode Ponyville Confidential briefly and then the 6 were at Sugarcube and so were Mr. and Mrs. Cake when another story came up about them. They could have at least been holding them. The last one the Cakes would have been seen in is MMMystery on the Friendship Express. In that episode they did not even give a reason why they could no go to the contest. I mean yes they have to watch the babies, but why did they leave them at home? Who is watching them? Plus they could have done something to cause problems for the cake.

Now maybe when some of the episodes were made they did not know about them so they just could not put them in, or it was a random chance they used Mr. and Mrs. Cake. I just feel they could have done more.

What do you all think about this?

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I personally hate them. They have impossible powers that mess up the entire show's lore. I could care less if we see more of them, but my opinion is that they messed up the show a bit. I mean the unicorn one has more magic than Twilight did when she did when when she was younger. I could see them possibly being the characters for the next generation, but that would be the only way I wouldn't hate that episode.

• Brohoof 1

I personally hate them. They have impossible powers that mess up the entire show's lore. I could care less if we see more of them, but my opinion is that they messed up the show a bit. I mean the unicorn one has more magic than Twilight did when she did when when she was younger. I could see them possibly being the characters for the next generation, but that would be the only way I wouldn't hate that episode.

But in the episode, Rarity and Twilight warned Mr. and Ms. Cake that infant unicorns can get short surges of power. Isn't that why she made everything float and such?

But in the episode, Rarity and Twilight warned Mr. and Ms. Cake that infant unicorns can get short surges of power. Isn't that why she made everything float and such?

True, but keep in mind that the OP is convinced that Pound and Pumpkin Cake are flying/magical prodigies that cannot be explained away by "oh, they're having bursts of magic".

As to the opening question, nah, I've never really liked Pound and Pumpkin Cake, their antics were completely overdone, and it's about the only thing they are really known for (except Pound pounding things and Pumpkin chewing on everything). From your logic, though, it would have seemed right that Pound and Pumpkin should have appeared more in the later episodes (except for "Putting Your Hoof Down", if you buy the explanation that it really takes place before Twilight came to Ponyville). But the show tries to stay away from putting in irrelevant information when the plot doesn't call for it, so I really don't mind one bit.

On the other hand, the show uses negative continuity (Think why "Fall Weather Friends" took place relatively quickly against "Winter-Wrap Up" relative to real life time?) so we really don't know for the most part when episodes take place in relationship to each other (of course there are exceptions, such as the Grand Galloping Gala arc and of course nearly everything is expected to have taken place after Twilight defeated Nightmare Moon, but those are rare exceptions). It could be that "Baby Cakes" actually takes place later than most of the other episodes.

Edited by JustFairness

I don't think so I mean, what happend for tank? Never seen again in any episodes after becoming RD,s pet.

Other things like RD could be seen to read more in every episode could have been out in but where not.

in my eyes , just because we know someone or something exists or happend does not mean they need to be in every episode (appart from Derpy's ofc :P ) and especially not featured for the sake of it.

Edited by Thyflesh

True, but keep in mind that the OP is convinced that Pound and Pumpkin Cake are flying/magical prodigies that cannot be explained away by "oh, they're having bursts of magic".

As to the opening question, nah, I've never really liked Pound and Pumpkin Cake, their antics were completely overdone, and it's about the only thing they are really known for (except Pound pounding things and Pumpkin chewing on everything). From your logic, though, it would have seemed right that Pound and Pumpkin should have appeared more in the later episodes (except for "Putting Your Hoof Down", if you buy the explanation that it really takes place before Twilight came to Ponyville). But the show tries to stay away from putting in irrelevant information when the plot doesn't call for it, so I really don't mind one bit.

On the other hand, the show uses negative continuity (Think why "Fall Weather Friends" took place relatively quickly against "Winter-Wrap Up" relative to real life time?) so we really don't know for the most part when episodes take place in relationship to each other (of course there are exceptions, such as the Grand Galloping Gala arc and of course nearly everything is expected to have taken place after Twilight defeated Nightmare Moon, but those are rare exceptions). It could be that "Baby Cakes" actually takes place later than most of the other episodes.

I would have to disagree with the idea that some episodes take place before Twilight came to Ponyville. If thats the case, then why did Fluttershy write to Princess Celestia. I mean just because Twilight does not show up in an episode does not mean that she's not there. Twilights just doing something else. Also if "Baby Cakes" is spouse to take place before other episodes, then why didi they show up in a "A Friend in Deed".I do agree that it is confusing how the holidays days don't match up well with other days., but it's not a big deal.

I would have to disagree with the idea that some episodes take place before Twilight came to Ponyville. If thats the case, then why did Fluttershy write to Princess Celestia. I mean just because Twilight does not show up in an episode does not mean that she's not there. Twilights just doing something else. Also if "Baby Cakes" is spouse to take place before other episodes, then why didi they show up in a "A Friend in Deed".I do agree that it is confusing how the holidays days don't match up well with other days., but it's not a big deal.

First off, I theorized that, to resolve the paradox of the lack of Pumpkin and Pound in certain episodes after "Baby Cakes" that some of the subsequent episodes actually take place, in the actual Equestrian timeline, before the events in Baby Cakes, which could explain why the episodes that featured the Cakes in the airing order did not also feature Pumpkin and Pound, even if only for the sake of detail. Indeed Pumpkin and Pound did feature in "A Friend in Need" (and "Ponyville Confidential"), that would mean, according to this theory, that it took place after "Baby Cakes".

I personally believe there is little meaningful evidence to believe that "Putting Your Hoof Down" must have taken place before Twilight came to Ponyville; it is certainly true that she might have simply been somewhere else, the theory mostly developed from folks who either believed that Twilight should have been involved in the story somehow or simply wondering where she was, and that Fluttershy was both far less assertive (initially) in the episode compared to previous developments and that she wrote the letter in a sort of reflective manner ("When I first tried it..."). All of these arguments certainly have their problems, I was just throwing the idea out there as a possible explanation.

Edited by JustFairness

I would like to see them again. I don't think they were created to be dropped right there after Baby cakes. I doubt they'll be completly left out since sugarcube corner is quite important but I don't think they'll appear that often. There's something else I've been thinking though. Since ponies grow faster than humans, they may be older in the next season and then they could probably be used more.

• Brohoof 1

First off, I theorized that, to resolve the paradox of the lack of Pumpkin and Pound in certain episodes after "Baby Cakes" that some of the subsequent episodes actually take place, in the actual Equestrian timeline, before the events in Baby Cakes, which could explain why the episodes that featured the Cakes in the airing order did not also feature Pumpkin and Pound, even if only for the sake of detail. Indeed Pumpkin and Pound did feature in "A Friend in Need" (and "Ponyville Confidential"), that would mean, according to this theory, that it took place after "Baby Cakes".

I personally believe there is little meaningful evidence to believe that "Putting Your Hoof Down" must have taken place before Twilight came to Ponyville; it is certainly true that she might have simply been somewhere else, the theory mostly developed from folks who either believed that Twilight should have been involved in the story somehow or simply wondering where she was, and that Fluttershy was both far less assertive (initially) in the episode compared to previous developments and that she wrote the letter in a sort of reflective manner ("When I first tried it..."). All of these arguments certainly have their problems, I was just throwing the idea out there as a possible explanation.

Well, I do agree with you that maybe "Baby Cakes" and the other episodes might have been out of order and "Baby Cakes" was going to be a later episode and they just moved it ahead just to give another charter an episode. Which would explain why the Twins did not show up in those episodes.

However, I still disagree with you on the whole Twilight did not live in Ponyville at the time thing. First off Fluttershy is a very quite and timid charter. She would be to afraid to wright to the Princess. Why would she do that in the first place they don't even know each other and would have no way in sending it besides by Spike?

Still I liked your input.

Welll I have to disagree with the Twilight wasn't in ponyville thing, I'll post why in the morning, stupid phone entered a post that was only a quote of yours xD and I had to edit it, to clear things up, sorry 'bout that Edited by Pinkazoid

I honestly dislike the addition of them into the show. While I did like the episodes, I'd rather have a regular episode. My opinions on the Cutie Mark Crusaders are the same, but I'm fine with them having their own episodes.

Man it frustrated me just watching the two babies deliberately attempting to piss off Pinkie. Mostly because I understand the annoyance felt since I have little siblings of my own (they're grown up now, though). The only thing I found in them were contemptible characters, because they brought back memories of a younger me yelling at my sisters for breaking my stuff in a seething rage.

Well, they are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Cake, so it's very likely that would happen. You can't get rid of them now, asking ourselves what happened to those baby ponies that were the parents of Mr. and Mrs. Cake from the episode "Baby Cakes?"

• Brohoof 1