gaming Dota 2 discussion thread

ScottishUnicorn

I'm starting to like playing junglers on this game now, i played junglers in LoL but Jungling in DOTA is rather different. While bloodseeker and axe are rather good, i think lycan is my favorite. He is rather OP though:

I was interested in this game, but I don't know how to get started on playing it though after I Downloaded and Installed the Game on Steam. If I may ask, How do I to get Started or to be more specific, Any Beginner's Tips on How to get started playing the game?

I play a lot of DotA 2, I used to play some LoL, but I find DotA 2 to be much more fun :3. I have recently started casting, and I would love to play with some bronies, just to get a nice team going. I am not like "really good" or anything, but I am not bad, i would say I am above average, when I am not goofing around. I mainly play mid lane heroes, carries, gankers, or semi carries, and I am a terrible support player.

I was interested in this game, but I don't know how to get started on playing it though after I Downloaded and Installed the Game on Steam. If I may ask, How do I to get Started or to be more specific, Any Beginner's Tips on How to get started playing the game?

My tip would be: play some bot matches. While they won't give you a lot of real experience, they will give you an opportunity to try some of the heroes out, and get used to some the of the mechanics of DotA 2. Once you have played a few bot matches, try playing some pub games, don't be discouraged when people rage at you, it will happen. Also, if you have any friends who are willing to play with you, go for it, DotA 2 is very fun when played with friends, I am open to play games if you want :D (MLP-Joshua on steam)

If you didnt buy the game from http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/57939587?appid=570 then chances are you downloaded the spectator client, it allows you to watch people playing but not actually play the game. If you did buy the game, there should be a "Play" Tab, click on that and i would recommend playing against bots to begin with.

Hope that helps ^^

Well My Brother said that I have to Sign up if it's Free, but I'm not sure if you guys did that and Yeah, I probably downloaded the spectator one.

The game is in Beta, when it comes out it should be free, you can also apply for the beta but i don't think they hand out keys anymore. The only way to guarantee getting into the game is to buy the pass on the website or wait for the game to be released in a year or so.

Some Dota 2 artwork that I've done not too long ago, Omniknight is pretty fun to draw.

Face:

Posted Image

Most of the body

Posted Image

Do I still have the chance to sign up for Free Invite in order for me to play the Game? I was Hoping to try the game out and see if I can still play the game.

I have no idea how long the beta will last, and I'm not sure how often Valve sends out beta codes. Edited by ScottishUnicorn
  • Brohoof 1

Do I still have the chance to sign up for Free Invite in order for me to play the Game? I was Hoping to try the game out and see if I can still play the game.

You can sign up on here: http://blog.dota2.com/

But i've been signed up over a year now and yet to receive an invite, i doubt they are handing them out anymore.

Some Dota 2 artwork that I've done not too long ago, Omniknight is pretty fun to draw.

Face:

Posted Image

Most of the body

Posted Image

I have no idea how long the beta will last, and I'm not sure how often Valve sends out beta codes.

Awesome work there scottish, how long did it take you to draw those? O.o

I wish i could draw that well :3

+ side note, this post made me a squirrel! :D

You son of a... well sadly my post counter is literally broken and is stuck at 62, it doesn't go up and i don't get any titles because of it, i asked for support on it but nopony replied -_- -edit- is now at 63 and stuck

You sure its stuck? Could it just be that you haven't posted much? :P

Either way, spend some time playing DOTA 2 and everything will become instantly better! :D

No actually i know for a fact that whenever i post (i think) it doesn't go up, i've done a test, and actually i can't play dota at the moment...

Yeah it went up with that post. I know that forum games don't count, not sure about Roleplay but i doubt that counts either >.>

Why cant you play DOTA? :'(

Yeah it went up with that post. I know that forum games don't count, not sure about Roleplay but i doubt that counts either >.>

Why cant you play DOTA? :'(

I'm not on my good computer, i don't want to go into detail, but i get monday wednesday and friday only, maybe a little bit sunday.

Awesome work there scottish, how long did it take you to draw those? O.o

The portrait of Omniknight was maybe 30 minutes, but the more complete drawing of Omniknight took a bit longer. I had a different idea in mind for the full body drawing, but I need to work on drawing people more before I try something more dynamic.

The portrait of Omniknight was maybe 30 minutes, but the more complete drawing of Omniknight took a bit longer. I had a different idea in mind for the full body drawing, but I need to work on drawing people more before I try something more dynamic.

Wow, it takes me hours to do my drawings and they are nowhere near that good! :o

On a DOTA 2 related note, i just had a decent match as Queen of Pain, inwhich i took the fastest first blood i have ever seen (let alone performed) in a MOBA. First blood at 36 seconds.

Check it out:

On a side note, am i permitted to do this under forum rules? i know you are not supposed to promote your websites or YouTube channels, but it is relevant to the thread.

Wow, it takes me hours to do my drawings and they are nowhere near that good! :o

On a DOTA 2 related note, i just had a decent match as Queen of Pain, inwhich i took the fastest first blood i have ever seen (let alone performed) in a MOBA. First blood at 36 seconds.

Check it out:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjjGbEF6jOs

On a side note, am i permitted to do this under forum rules? i know you are not supposed to promote your websites or YouTube channels, but it is relevant to the thread.

I lol'd when the Pudge pulled you back when you were chasing Witch Doctor, pretty cool first blood dude. Also on the topic of the art, I've been practicing drawing people so it goes over into drawing Dota characters y'know.

*edit: fwi I still suck at drawing dynamic poses so the Naix drawing isn't the best :P

Lifestealer

Posted Image

Edited by ScottishUnicorn
  • Brohoof 1

I lol'd when the Pudge pulled you back when you were chasing Witch Doctor, pretty cool first blood dude. Also on the topic of the art, I've been practicing drawing people so it goes over into drawing Dota characters y'know.

Lifestealer

Posted Image

WOW! That lifestealer is fantastic! maybe you should make a thread on the art section of the forums and drop your artwork in there for everypony to see, i'm sure more people will see it there than in here >.>

Yeah, that hook had me and Dave in stitches on TS, i'm surprised i managed to still get in there and take the kill. I hate it when people take pudge who cant play him properly >.>

WOW! That lifestealer is fantastic! maybe you should make a thread on the art section of the forums and drop your artwork in there for everypony to see, i'm sure more people will see it there than in here >.>

Yeah, that hook had me and Dave in stitches on TS, i'm surprised i managed to still get in there and take the kill. I hate it when people take pudge who cant play him properly >.>

I made a Pony art thread like yesterday, yeah I should make a thread on non-pony art, I may have made one in the past though. Yeah it turns out pretty bad if someone like me decides to play pudge. :lol: Edited by ScottishUnicorn

Those art pieces looks good, SU. Looking forward to see more. =)

Ohh by the way, i'm currently away from home and will be until wednesday. So more plays once i get back, could definitely need more DotA 2 exclusive hero practice. x)

And master Templar Assassin... :3

Edited by Vivi
  • Brohoof 1

I signed up for the DotA 2 for free invite and I was forced to take a Survey, but I i still don't get how am i suppose to get started on playing the game though.

I'm pretty sure they have you take the survey to see if you have a good enough computer to run the game, and it puts you higher on the list if you have Dota experience. You're pretty much put on a raffle when you turn in the survey to be put into the beta, much like when Blizzard does a beta.

I Just got a key for DOTA 2 from my PC Gamer subscription, which i dont need, anyone on my friends list that wants DOTA 2 either already has it or i've given it them, so to the point:

IF anypony wants this DOTA 2 key, quote my post (so that i look back in the thread) and tell me you want it, i only have 1 requirement: YOU MUST PLAY THE GAME.

I've given away 4 DOTA 2 invites so far and only 1 of those actually played it for a decent amount of time, everyone else is around 2 hours.

I would be interested in trying this game out but I'm utter shit as LoL. :P So I don't really see how it would be any different with regards to this bad boy.

The game is more like HoN than LoL, but it is considerably harder than LoL and a little harder than HoN, it is a rather unforgiving game, first blood going to the wring person for example could loose or win you the match.

On the note of this key I'm giving away, the offer still stands to anyone who wants it, if nobody claims it by Wednesday I'll be giving it away at university instead.