Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Dota 2 discussion thread

ScottishUnicorn

Dota 2 thread

Posted Image

I somewhat recently got interested in Dota 2 after getting an invite and have been playing it quite often. I am curious to whether anyone else plays Dota on the forum. I feel like there is a lot of depth to the game, and is considered to be more "item dependent" than say League of Legends, from what I've heard.

Currently the game is still in closed beta, but you can sign up to get an invite at the website. But after the game gets out of Beta it will be Free to Play. All the heroes can be played and you do not have to unlock them or any other nonsense.

Anyways, recently I've started playing Sven, he's a pretty fun character with a darn good stun and various buffs. The start can be a bit rough if the teammates are unreliable though.

Ok, I've played slot of dota2 (400 games or so) and I'm currently taking a break from it (I started to loose interest in it with the new wow expansion coming up) but I thought I would say a few things about it :)

1. You don't need an invite, you can get an existing played to buy one from the insane shop (it's £25 but u get the invite and like a load of items).

2. Lol and dota are very different games. You can't really say 1 is a better game then the other be wade there so different however I prefer dota, differences are that:

In lol lane controll is very different, towers are very punishing and you can't deni creeps, it also feels less important.

Dota has more abilifies from items then lol and (how I felt) is a lot less strict with item build, item builds are very important.

In dota each hero has a very specific role and they all can't carry, support heroes always die in 2 shots to a carry no matter how farmed they are.

In dota once a rax is dead it stays dead (comeback are still common tho depending on time ect).

You can't buy and advantage as in lol in dota, all items are cosmetic ect

Couriers are also in dota which deliver and can buy your items for you :)

I person,ly played a lot of supports, I don't really like seven to much because I don't like how he can be easily contend with slows but it is very funny if you get farmed fast and are 2 shotting people after you stun.

My fav hero is probably wind runner, with items you can just do so much in team fights is unbelievable. (like euls and force staff or orchid)

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has played it :D

• Brohoof 1

I have DOTA 2, its currently my favorite game.

I was a big LoL player and had played HoN before i started on LoL, and i must say its more like HoN than LoL and much harder than LoL too, there are too many imbalances in LoL which just make it a game where some Champions HAVE to be picked, whereas in DOTA 2 i find that so long as your team works well together it wont truly matter if you don't pick an ideal team setup.

As for obtaining the game, you can buy it from the store on www.dota2.com or wait for it to come out, I've personally handed out 4 invites to friends to play the game with me :)

I play Bounty Hunter the most, but i'm going through a phase of using random pick to try out each Hero.

(edited)

1. You don't need an invite, you can get an existing played to buy one from the insane shop (it's £25 but u get the invite and like a load of items).2. Lol and dota are very different games. You can't really say 1 is a better game then the other be wade there so different however I prefer dota, differences are that:In lol lane controll is very different, towers are very punishing and you can't deni creeps, it also feels less important.Dota has more abilifies from items then lol and (how I felt) is a lot less strict with item build, item builds are very important.In dota each hero has a very specific role and they all can't carry, support heroes always die in 2 shots to a carry no matter how farmed they are.In dota once a rax is dead it stays dead (comeback are still common tho depending on time ect).You can't buy and advantage as in lol in dota, all items are cosmetic ect

Yeah I know you can just buy an invite, but I personally think I'd rather wait than pay 40 dollars for it . :huh:And yeah they are totally different games, I can't really say much for LoL because I haven't played much of it.

I have DOTA 2, its currently my favorite game.I was a big LoL player and had played HoN before i started on LoL, and i must say its more like HoN than LoL and much harder than LoL too, there are too many imbalances in LoL which just make it a game where some Champions HAVE to be picked, whereas in DOTA 2 i find that so long as your team works well together it wont truly matter if you don't pick an ideal team setup.As for obtaining the game, you can buy it from the store on www.dota2.com or wait for it to come out, I've personally handed out 4 invites to friends to play the game with me :)I play Bounty Hunter the most, but i'm going through a phase of using random pick to try out each Hero.

While I agree that a lot of the heros work together well in Dota, I think it should be a law that every team has a good pudge player. Also I tried random one, I got the siren and that didn't go very well. :unsure:

Also hit me up on Steam, I'm not the best at Dota, but it'd be fun to play with someone besides random strangers.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/trixybrony

Edited by ScottishUnicorn

At a high lvl ( even where I'm at) Lucan can be considers a free win if they 1/2 well, and certain heroes are never played from being awful.

Team makeup also makes a massive difference, and people get very mad when people take a type of here that isn't needed or is incorrect for the situation it can be quite funny to watch the arguments ><

People on the forums playing it! :D I made a thread about a month ago, but it seemed that people were not really interested into that game! I'm happy to hear that changed.

I myself have only about 60 games on record. My favorite is Invoker , Riki for pubstomping is awesome, as well as Zeus who is in my eyes OP. ( I have 100 pct win ratio with him :D 7 games only though and have just below the maximum skill score. )

Yeah I know you can just buy an invite, but I personally think I'd rather wait than pay 40 dollars for it . :huh:

And yeah they are totally different games, I can't really say much for LoL because I haven't played much of it.

While I agree that a lot of the heros work together well in Dota, I think it should be a law that every team has a good pudge player. Also I tried random one, I got the siren and that didn't go very well. :unsure:

Actually, the game invite is £19.99 to buy, but they go for between 2-3 treasure keys, each key is £1.59, so its cheaper to get someone who has the game already to buy some treasure keys and trade them for a game key, that's how i got all of my game keys :D

Keep trying randoms, if that fails, why not go for a bot match and random there until you find a Hero you like, the learning curve is a lot steeper than in LoL but i like that ;)

People on the forums playing it! :D I made a thread about a month ago, but it seemed that people were not really interested into that game! I'm happy to hear that changed.

I myself have only about 60 games on record. My favorite is Invoker , Riki for pubstomping is awesome, as well as Zeus who is in my eyes OP. ( I have 100 pct win ratio with him :D 7 games only though and have just below the maximum skill score. )

Hehe, i only just signed up yesterday, else i would have posted in your topic :P

I have to agree on Zeus, although he is a major glass cannon, strong as hell but squishy. His ultimate is rather OP though :/

At a high lvl ( even where I'm at) Lucan can be considers a free win if they 1/2 well, and certain heroes are never played from being awful.

Team makeup also makes a massive difference, and people get very mad when people take a type of here that isn't needed or is incorrect for the situation it can be quite funny to watch the arguments ><

Sometimes I just kind of give them a choice. I'll be like, ok guys do you want me to play sven or lich?

I had only gotten into the game quite recently, or maybe it just seems a bit recent now. I think I have around 60 games as well.

I have to agree on Zeus, although he is a major glass cannon, strong as hell but squishy. His ultimate is rather OP though :/

His ultra can be pretty cheap, but I personally think silencer's ultra is the most annoying.

His ultra can be pretty cheap, but I personally think silencer's ultra is the most annoying.

^^ It's called an Ultimate, Ulti or Ult in Dota 2 ( Or pretty much any MOBA I know ).

But Silencer's ult is just.. well a silence. Sure it has it's uses, but Zeus does instant damage to everyone on the map + sight for a short moment.

I played Dota 2 alot, but it dropped for a while, i still occasionally play it and its fun, ive played every single hero (unless a new one comes out, and i usually random) since the Keeper of the Light, Visage, Nyx update (Have not played Nyx), i main juggernaut and have a full set of items for him that weren't traded at all.

Edited by Magneus

I'm not too keen on silencer's too, but for me, Zeus's global kill everything is right up there with Pudge using rot to deny himself in moves that annoy me in DOTA :P

+ i added you on steam.

I played Dota 2 alot, but it dropped for a while, i still occasionally play it and its fun, ive played every single hero (unless a new one comes out) since the Keeper of the Light, Visage, Nyx update (Have not played Nyx), i main juggernaut and have a full set of items for him that weren't traded at all.

I also play juggernaut on occasion, but as Bounty Hunter is my main i have a full set for him... well technically i have 4 full sets for him :S

I bought 33 chests off someone and opened most of them, resulting in having loads of sets.

I'm not too keen on silencer's too, but for me, Zeus's global kill everything is right up there with Pudge using rot to deny himself in moves that annoy me in DOTA :P

+ i added you on steam.

I also play juggernaut on occasion, but as Bounty Hunter is my main i have a full set for him... well technically i have 4 full sets for him :S

I bought 33 chests off someone and opened most of them, resulting in having loads of sets.

Oh I know what you mean with pudge, I'll be totally destroying him as Sven then all of a sudden all my health goes away.

I would probably never buy that many chests nor buy the keys, but dang you have some money to flush.

The funny thing is, no i don't :D

I just compulsively buy things when i'm bored, but i'm getting my university grants/loans soon so i don't mind putting myself in debt right now :P

But i believe that if you enjoy something, spend your money on it, its better to have no money but be having fun than having money and not having fun, money cant buy happiness but it can buy entertainment! :D

I just compulsively buy things when i'm bored, but i'm getting my university grants/loans soon so i don't mind putting myself in debt right now :P

But i believe that if you enjoy something, spend your money on it, its better to have no money but be having fun than having money and not having fun, money cant buy happiness but it can buy entertainment! :D

Entertainment = Happiness, soooo technically.... Money = Happiness, money can buy happiness, but it isn't exactly lasting.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm quite stingy when it comes to spending money, I cannot buy any keys in TF2 without questioning myself and eventually I'll probably just drop them from the cart and forget about buying them.

I'm quite stingy when it comes to spending money, I cannot buy any keys in TF2 without questioning myself and eventually I'll probably just drop them from the cart and forget about buying them.

If anything ever ends up in my cart, i buy it. I have the Steam app on my phone and told my tutor to add a game to my cart, i bought it just for the sake of it and never played it, in fact there are many games on my steam that i haven't played properly yet :/

If anything ever ends up in my cart, i buy it. I have the Steam app on my phone and told my tutor to add a game to my cart, i bought it just for the sake of it and never played it, in fact there are many games on my steam that i haven't played properly yet :/

I usually try to play games I get during a steam sale, but sometimes I just forget to play games that I say I'm going to play, namely Mass Effect.

I usually try to play games I get during a steam sale, but sometimes I just forget to play games that I say I'm going to play, namely Mass Effect.

I have Deus Ex, STALKER, Max Payne 3 and Mass effect 2 that I've intended to play though fully but never go around to, I've even made a "To Play" category on my steam games list so i notice them every time i log on :s

Entertainment = Happiness, soooo technically.... Money = Happiness, money can buy happiness, but it isn't exactly lasting.

Not just happiness but you also get to beautify your favorite heroes with new gear or a new courier.

Not just happiness but you also get to beautify your favorite heroes with new gear or a new courier.

I got jelly from my friend, his first item from the new update was a mythical cour (mechanical), i told him he was luuucky

I got jelly from my friend, his first item from the new update was a mythical cour (mechanical), i told him he was luuucky

The first chest i opened was a summer chest and i got the Mythical Pudge Hook, but i gave it to my friend because i never really play pudge B)

(edited)

In the last game of Dota I played, I'm not sure how long the time for pudge's hook to reset, but it seems like he never used it. And that skill works well with sven, reel em in then sven stuns and then goes to town on the poor sucker. Seriously...sven has the rage ultimate for a reason :huh: . But I couldn't really do much with lifestealer running about, he eats strength heroes, like me, for lunch.

Edited by ScottishUnicorn

In the last game of Dota I played, I'm not sure how long the time for pudge's hook to reset, but it seems like he never used it. And that skill works well with sven, reel em in then sven stuns and then goes to town on the poor sucker. Seriously...sven has the rage ultimate for a reason :huh: . But I couldn't really do much with lifestealer running about, he eats strength heroes, like me, for lunch.

The way to best lifestealer is to build armour and not set and hp. On heroes like Sven or slardar, if you get an assault curas and then a satanic you hit fast and lifestealer enought to be able to beat him 1v1 (basher and then the item that hard stuns for 2 second also works nicely on heroes like night stalker vs him)

That pudge, outworld destroyer and bounty hunter didn't really put much effort into that match did they? :/