Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Severe Weather Discussion Thread

Denim&Venöm

So with Hurricane Matthew looming on the horizon, now would be a good time to talk about storms. 

vis-animated.gif

Anyone interested or even fascinated by severe weather? Does it ever get your attention more when it's on the news somewhere? Does seeing how storms form & strengthen pique your curiosity? Do you just like documentaries, shows and movies about natural disasters? How about hypothetical scenarios? Things like what would happen if a hurricane hit New York City or if a tornado ran though Washington DC? 

If those are things that interest you, than feel free to share them here. Also please do share any crazy weather happening in your area. 

• Brohoof 2

I might've past through the worse right now in Orlando, Florida. Also I got Hurricane Sandy hit up New York years ago. The streets were like a river like holy heck. When I was in North Carolina, I think I got Hurricane Irene, but before that a freaking Earthquake happen few days ago rocked there and even felt beyond New York (yes my parents moved a lot and I think the earthquake reached even in Canada?)

I hate natural weather disasters honestly

Edited by Sunrise Surprise
  • Brohoof 1

The only severe weather I like and am interested in is winter weather. I do not care for 'warm' storms because they are too dangerous and scary for my liking. My dream location of living would be somewhere where severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, and the like are very rare.

• Brohoof 1

I like to keep an eye on severe weather. I'm an active member of the SKYWARN network. I'm a huge fan of Pecos Hank in Texas - flippin' awesome stuff he has...  :love: I have a thing for derechos -- #wow-wee... lol

Weather in general had always intrigue me. To see how weather patterns form and the resulting effects it has in local climate. You see historically speaking, my variable topography restricts any rain from the coast towards inland and thus creating a rain-shadow effect for my area. Precipitation does fall but only does so during the winter because of the southern dip of the jet stream bringing in moist cool air and any high elevation mostly about 3,000' would receive snow. During the summer, high pressure systems usually linger creating very low humidity and arid conditions perfect for wildfires and drought. Mediterranean is perhaps the best explanation of my local climate due to the weather activity during the most of the year.

Where I used to live a while back, I experience consistent warm weather and it was nice. Thunderstorms would developed during the afternoon and acted like an muggy air conditioner until the night when it would at least cool down but high dew points create sticky uncomfortable conditions. Winters there are nice, warm and rarely seen frosts besides rare cold fronts from polar vortexes. Every year, a devastating freeze would kill back tropical plants that live on the verge of this climate but they always bounce back by the warmer rainy season. The rainy season rains a lot and can also bring some flooding to the areas with nonporous soil or with an high water table. Unfortunately, tropical storms do develop during the summer and can become really bad, if they do happen. "Borderline Tropical" if I say so myself located on the line of subtropical and tropical weather while not totally classifying it due to rare frosts.

Out of the two I've experienced, I prefer the latter because I gotten used to the warmth even though it may rain a lot. I just love it when the rain falls and the sound it produces compared to the sparse, dryer weather I now live in. Noting severe here but I was just comparing the two from each other and my perception of it.

• Brohoof 2

We had a massive hail storm here in Melbourne last Tuesday. We haven't had a storm that bad for around 3 years here. Plus remember cyclone Winston that hit Fiji earlier This year. Well we where due to leave to go there on our first overseas holiday just a few hours before the cyclone hit. But we still went a week later and saw all the damage done to the small farms. We even saw a huge line of power lines that had fallen over.

In fact speaking of hail storms the worst one so far here was back in 2011 when we had hail stones that where bigger than golf balls. The damage was intense ranging from people being covered in blood and scratches to car windows and windshields been cracked and some even smashed. That is the worst storm on record here in Melbourne but now whats really strange is that we are now starting to get stormy weather in the middle of summer and less rain in winter. Now is this a effect of global warming or WHAT!?

Edited by Techno Universal
  • Brohoof 2

Severe weather was always something that scared me and fascinated me at the same time. I am terrified of tornadoes and supercell thunderstorms, yet I tend to look up videos of these things all the time. It is strange. Living in Indiana, the severe weather season around here seems to mostly be in the Fall months now, so it will be interesting to see if anything pops up. If it was out in a field, I would actually really like to see a supercell thunderstorm with a tornado. They are both such powerful things.

• Brohoof 2

A few weeks ago there was 3 tornados in all surrounding areas. we were lucky. the school finally started letting go. then they tried to get back in cuz of another warning but I was already out so I just left

• 3 years later...
On 10/8/2016 at 12:24 AM, Denim&Venöm said:

Anyone interested or even fascinated by severe weather?

The US seem to get these kind of storms every year. We have started to get some severe storms here as well in Sweden, but after a few trees and a broken internet connection made me lose interest fast.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2016-10-08 at 7:24 AM, Denim&Venöm said:

So with Hurricane Matthew looming on the horizon, now would be a good time to talk about storms. 

vis-animated.gif

Anyone interested or even fascinated by severe weather? Does it ever get your attention more when it's on the news somewhere? Does seeing how storms form & strengthen pique your curiosity? Do you just like documentaries, shows and movies about natural disasters? How about hypothetical scenarios? Things like what would happen if a hurricane hit New York City or if a tornado ran though Washington DC? 

If those are things that interest you, than feel free to share them here. Also please do share any crazy weather happening in your area. 

I used to love severe weather. Tornadoes, Hurricanes, "sub tornadoes". My favorite would have to hurricanes though because of the structure of the storm.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I know severe weather is devastating for people, but I enjoy being near for the thrills. Moving from southern to middle missouri and it seems weather around here is just mild at most. I vivid remember one where I was close to an EF2 tornado, the branches and rain were circling around me.