Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fangirls

Finesthour

So, like many other men, I am confused as to why Fangirls exist.

You take a perfectly normal Teenage girl, but then throw in the fact that she is crazy about some pop star across the world, and they end up having this creepy obsession over them.

What exactly motivates them to become this fangirl?

You've seen them before. TV, news, Twitter, Facebook, anywhere. You have seen this type on fangirl before. Where does their obsession source from, and why does it exist?

Is it because the men are larger than life, and these girls believe that they can have them? That their lyrics make them feel special?

I mean, it's all fine and dandy that they are FANS of pop stars, don't get me wrong about that. But when I see on Twitter about women complaining that their favorite singer did not follow them or re-tweet them, they go into a MAJOR depressive mood and talk about how much they hate their lives or themselves. I for one am scared by this fact, as it confuses the hell out of me.

I actually have a close friend who acts this way. She says I am important to her and always make her happy, yet she turns around and complains about how terrible her life is because Greyson Chance won't follow her. It's sort of creepy to me. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me?

• Brohoof 6

This applies to both boys and girls, but girls are always looked at in this light.

Nowadays, it's about attention, I'm c'mon, look at Facebook, useless status updates, Duckface photos, planking (getting old), pictures from parties.

It's this ideology that if a popular celebrity follows or friends you, instant celebrity.

• Brohoof 1

It's this ideology that if a popular celebrity follows or friends you, instant celebrity.

The thing is, I have had many girlfriends who act this way.

It confuses the living hell out of me with their obsession.

Fangirls creep me out. I think it's just a phase. You put something infront of them that "everyone is listening to or everyone is trying it" they will listen to it. It's just a fad. They think it's much more then that because they think their songs were written for them. They go over the top just to get an ounce of satisfaction or a simple look from them. They think that the only reason they won't follow them is because their a terrible person. This brings the depression. They will soon get over it I think. That is until something else shows up.

Us fangirls have feellings two u know! You shuld juts acpt taht jsutin beibr is much bether than all yor other band.

Well everyone has an idol from time to time. People obsess over them for a reason I am unsure of at the moment, but I think it may be because they want to have what they know in their heart they can't have. They want to have a goal to reach for, but never achieve. I think that the music may be something they like, but the appearance is what sells it. If Justin Bieber or that One Direction group had unattractive members, then they wouldn't like them.

Of course maybe they really like that crappy music and we're all over thinking it.

The thing is, I have had many girlfriends who act this way.

It confuses the living hell out of me with their obsession.

It's funny, I have a brother who is like this, he is a YouTube addict, but too lazy to get his own account, he keeps telling me to subscribe to his favorite users (no problem with it) but he thinks I'm popular just for subscribing to somebody who is already popular.

in the end, it does with they're interests, the way they live, my school is full of them too.

The thing is, my current girlfriend is OBSESSED over Greyson Chance. It really freaks me the hell out over how much her and her friends obsess over the guy. All he does is sing the same lyrics that all pop stars do-

"BABY I MISS YOU, COME HOME, I LOVE YOU, PERFECT BABY"

Yet she oggles over him. She's been trying to get him to follow her on Twitter, and cries when he doesn't. It really freaks me out.

The thing is, my current girlfriend is OBSESSED over Greyson Chance. It really freaks me the hell out over how much her and her friends obsess over the guy. All he does is sing the same lyrics that all pop stars do-

Yet she oggles over him. She's been trying to get him to follow her on Twitter, and cries when he doesn't. It really freaks me out.

heres just a suggestion, buy a few CDs of his album, act like your going to give them to her, then snap and break them infront of her then turn around and walk away...like a boss

seriously though, i also think its a stupid trend, and shouldnt be tolerated

• Brohoof 2

Everyone's got that one thing they geek out over. Consoles, game franchises, bands, what have you. Seems normal to me.

Not to mention that this is a topic on a fan site dedicated to one specific thing. Fanboy/girl could be applied to most of the people here.

Everyone's got that one thing they geek out over. Consoles, game franchises, bands, what have you. Seems normal to me.

Not to mention that this is a topic on a fan site dedicated to one specific thing. Fanboy/girl could be applied to most of the people here.

But -hopefully- no one here cries about not getting a Twitter follow or acknowledgement from the ponies inside of the show.

I just don't understand it, it's why it freaks me out.

That last part had me wanting to flip a table, he is a freaking celebrity, he has no time to watch the amount of people following him on Twitter!

Like I said, that I wanna be famous!

Sorry, Disney and Nickelodeon makes it look too easy to become popular, that is probably one reason for all the fangirls nowadays.

Everyone's got that one thing they geek out over. Consoles, game franchises

Meanwhile with the CoD and Xbox fanboys

Some fangirls are fangirls of Let's Players,(go look at a comment section on a Chuggaconroy video. There will be at least one fangirl.) and things of that sort. Like internet personalitys and the such, not just music, I don't think.

And on that note, I wish I had fangirls.

Edited by Dusk Eninama Ace Attorney

But -hopefully- no one here cries about not getting a Twitter follow or acknowledgement from the ponies inside of the show.

I just don't understand it, it's why it freaks me out.

I crey evry teim Faust noo follow mah twitters.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I also don't get the shitstorms that happens in our community every time something mildly offensive or something that can possibly be misconstrued as offensive comes up.

• Brohoof 1

fangirls are the same to me, as otakus and real bronies. I find it normal if they are teenagers and lust for artists their age, is really creeepy if the fangirl is really old like some other user said above, they have an innocent platonic love for their favorite artist, when they listen to their lyrics they feel like they are singing just to them, no one else. They want to reach the unreachable, they want to have what they will never ever have, it's kind of masochistic, It's kind of an obsession, yes. But one day when they grow up they will see how silly they were for acting that way.

otakus and bronies are the same about how passionate their admiration for whatever they follow is. And the majority of the society find this really creepy, why grown up men act like "kids" and watch "cartoons" all day, so it's the same effect on both parts, unfortunatelly society this days sucks and can't see beyond their noses.

This is a very good question. One of which I actually don't have an answer to. This rarely happens but I guess it is something I am going to do research on here directly so I can actually get you an answer.

It appears that fangirls have a sexual attraction to the boy bands they are fangirling about. It seems that they also put themselves into some sort of pretend world where they see themselves with this boy and actually believe that this boy will love them forever. It is curious to note that this seems to also be linked with a very primitive instinct which is to hitch yourself with someone who is successful. Money and power is very attractive to some people especially when you are young. It is also worth noting how the band is portrayed through their music videos. If you pay attention you will see that they are being marketed in a very specific way to the fans. This means you can find your answer as to why girls fangirl about their bands if you observe their music video at a business stand point. There is a formula they keep and they will continue to dish it out as long as it works.

• Brohoof 2

I felt actual, legitimate sadness and nearly cried when I beat Golden Sun: The Lost Age because there was no more Golden Sun to play.

Then when GS3 was announced ~7 years later, I literally jumped a good 3 feet out of my chair and then ran around the house, screaming triumphantly.

I've had many a fantasy of myself with various female characters from the series. I've written two guides about the games despite the fact that they were totally unneeded, and spent years posting on forums about them.

I consider myself a Golden Sun fanboy :)

I crey evry teim Faust noo follow mah twitters.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I also don't get the shitstorms that happens in our community every time something mildly offensive or something that can possibly be misconstrued as offensive comes up.

This. People just need to harden the fuck up sometimes. Every now and then, something happens, or somebody says something that is the opposite of what you wanted to hear/experience. If it actually affects your well-being, do something about it right then and there. Otherwise just ignore it, like most normal, well-adjusted adults have learned to do.

I'm pretty much the opposite of a fangirl in every sense. Most of my interests are lukewarm, and I do not accrue an intense amount of enthusiasm over anything.

Men, you aren't the only ones who are confused why fangirls exist! I don't get it either, and I'M a girl. Then again, I've always been a very unusual woman.

I cannot shed much light onto the mentality that goes behind this except that the majority of fangirls appear to be teenagers. Teenagers have hormones and thus are more prone to depression and other such maladies. Their hormones might be part of what causes them to turn into shriek machines that become depressive over not being acknowledged by the object of their affection. It's rarer in older women. Most of them outgrow it, at least. Teenage girls will be teenage girls. Why else? No clue other than that, really. It's something that is beyond me.

Well, I assume your gf is your age. And you don't exactly act your age; actually, you're like 20% more mature and that is probably your problem. :/

Anyway, I don't wanna start about how I dislike fanatatic fans, because I don't wanna spread negative thinking, but...

I think what people hate about J.B. for example is... HIS FANS.

Which is absolutely ridiculous because it's not really his fault and from what I can tell, he doesn't deserve the amount of hate he's getting. (Btw J.B doesn't stand for James Bond here.)

In my eyes, any kind of blind reverence towards person/group of people is stupid and dangerous. -_-

• Brohoof 1

I am a bit confused about that. I never understood obsessing over a celebrity. I am obsessed with MLP, but I do not do creepy things like...yeah! But I have met people like OVERLY obsessed with bands. I like music, I have my favorite celebrities, singers, and bands, but I dont worship them