Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scootaloo Crippled

Bowser

I think it's intriguing that Lauren had intended Scootaloo to be effectively the disabled character of the show. Given Scoot's disposition, she seems to carry on very well, in spite of the countless depressing fanfics produced about her. It may be a silent yet tasteful depiction of a person with a disability carrying on with her life by finding new goals. Such is a way to turn an otherwise melancholy story into one which is uplifting.

Besides, Scootaloo can always rely on Dr. Erskine's formula to turn her into Captain Equestria.

• Brohoof 2

Besides, Scootaloo can always rely on Dr. Erskine's formula to turn her into Captain Equestria.

Captain Equestria/Scootaloo: "Big mare in a suit of armor. Take that away, and what are you?"

Iron Belle/Sweetie Belle: "Genius, billionmare, playfilly, and philanthropist."

Scootaloo: "I know mares with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the mare to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other filly crawl over you."

Sweetie Belle: "I think I would just cut the wire."

Scootaloo: "Always a way out... You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

Sweetie Belle: "A hero? Like you?... You're a lab rat, Scoot. Everything that you are came out of a bottle!"

Scootaloo: "Put on the suit. Let's have it out."

Well, I wasn't expecting Scootaloo to be crippled. That was certainly a twist in the entire series, which puts her at a big disadvantage - being a pegasus who can't fly, after all. But this opens up the possibility of her being a superstar with her special talent, assuming it is indeed riding a scooter - keyword, superstar. As in, possibly competing in the big leagues one day. Maybe one day she'll get her wings "fixed".

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 2

It seems she knows how to fly since she can lift her flank up in the air (as shown in Ponyville Confidential) but not able to lift her whole self up and maneuver.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, so much drama over an idea.

Even though her word doesn't mean canon anymore, I do think the crippled approach makes for an interesting story. Certainly more than 'oh, she just hasn't learned how to fly yet'. That's my approach to it as a writer, as the former is simply a less cliche and less uneventful explanation to the problem. I love Scoots but even if it were canon that she was crippled, who cares? Her thing is her scooter skills, anyway. Maybe I'd be sad that I'd never see Dash teaching her how to fly, but all the same, it's just another approach to her apparent problem, and I don't have an issue with it.

I have the same opinion as Discord here. I think Laurens approaches to the characters are really interesting and would make the show even better. I would not really like if Hasbro tries to avoid any more mature topics. I think AJ the orphan and Scootaloo being disabled would really add depth to the characters.

....Scootaloo....not being able to fly......

That makes me depressed now. She was very close to being my favorite CMC. I had hoped she would learn in season 3 or 4 :(

It seems she knows how to fly since she can lift her flank up in the air (as shown in Ponyville Confidential) but not able to lift her whole self up and maneuver.

If she is in fact handicapped, then that scene would certainly have a much darker spirit to it. Hell, it would basically be a scene of a kid falling out of his wheelchair, then struggling unsuccessfully to get up again. And played for laughs, no less.

In any case, her inability to fly would add a new dimension to her already formidable d'awwww-ness. The Scootalove is palpable today.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda... how do I put this.... happy. If this becomes canon it will teach kids with disabilities (like myself) that it's okay to be disabled.

I really don't know a different way to put this really... it just makes me feel good. :I

• Brohoof 1

How do I put this? Yeah, the idea would be awesome if it's implemented in a coherent manner. Hmm, but I wouldn't take it by heart just because of the whole, "it's probably cannon because Faust said so" attitude.

• 4 weeks later...

There have been cartoons with crippled children in them before without any controversy. Look at Badger from "Franklin" for example. She can barely use her back legs, has to wear braces on them, and walks with crutches, but with her crutches she's still the best soccer player in their school. It depends on how it's handled. Scootaloo's definitely a strong enough character to pull it off right.

Well, I heard too many things about Scootaloo being crippled or how it's so sad she can't fly, but what about Sweetie Belle? It didn't seem like she casted any magic, but nopony seems to care about that.

• Brohoof 2

Man that really sucks... Makes me feel bad for her kinda. The fact that she won't be able to be like the other pegasi.

I'd love to see the episode mentioned in that video tho with her having to realize she can't be like her idol rainbow.

At least she can still flap her wings as you see in the show. Still wondering more about her backstory, which makes me think there's going to be one very good yet sad episode coming up about the situation.

I've heard about this before and figured it out sooner than that. It's possible that a writer could change this but from what I can gather from the show Scootaloo has never flown and any attempts thereof have failed. Yes, it's sad and tragic but I actually support the whole "Scootaloo is disabled" thing, and not because Faust said it. It could make for an interesting episode if handled right or perhaps just continue being subtly implemented. Also, I have experience with disability so this info would make me a lot more sympathetic toward Scootaloo. Lastly, one of my favorite things about art is that you're able to take all the unfairness ad tragedies of the world and turn it into something beautiful. Heck, I'm planning on taking up writing so I could possibly eventually write about how Scootaloo feels about facing her limitations by drawing upon my own experiences with my own limitations.

And people wonder why fan fic authors make bad things happen to Scootaloo.

Even Lauren Did It!!

However, since Faust isn't on they show anymore, this might change. Personally, I like her not being able to fly. At least that way i can keep making fan fics about her learning how to fly, and they will never disagree with cannon.

And also:

I recently watched Hearts and Hooves day again. Although I had seen it several times before, after reading this thread I noticed something that I hadn't before. She flies through the frame at 0m20s. It's brief, but she's definitely flying:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaR0t3nhn3c

She could have just jumped. Remember Applejack in the Iron Pony Competition? She jumped much farther than that. The show has done that a few other times too, I just can't pull any others off the top of my head.

(She jumps at about 6:20)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IAC6Z5m0pY

Also, I went back and paused the frame in the Scootaloo scene. If you do, you notice that her wings don't move.

Edited by Garbo802

I personally think that this makes Scootaloo a stronger character overall. I feel the urge to write a fanfic about her finding out that she has a problem and getting over the initial shock of it, but I also have writer's block.

She's crippled? I don't think that's the correct word. Scootaloo's wings work, just not well. I'd rather say she has very low muscle tone, or has another muscular issue.

Scoots wasn't meant to be a great flier, anyways. We all know Scoots is meant to scoot ;)