Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FiM - Season 1 DVD Box Set

Somebody

Have you watched it through yet? Can you tell me how the quality of the video is? Is the color NORMAL? Which is to say, the color balance is the same as if you were to watch it on the hub channel, or on a high res MKV video file? The two DVDs Shout Factory released before, the color balance was WAY off, and it seemed as if the color was drained right out of it, regardless of what display I watched it on, whether it was my Asus gaming laptop, my 42 inch Sharp Aquos, or my 32 inch Sharp Aquos, or my parent's 32 inch LG. Also, the first DVD had serious audio sync issues in the Friendship is Magic Ep 1.

Were any of these issues present in this DVD or were they fixed? What aspect ratio is it in? Full screen or wide, as is the original HD presentation? I don't want to purchase this set if they can't even get basic presentation right. I was very disappointed with the shoddy quality of the initial dvd presentations. I mean, it's not like they're not given the master video and audio tracks, how HARD is it to just THROW them on a DVD and GO? Jesus, I can do that at home better than Shout Factory has done. And on a Bluray no less...Sheesh. *Smh*

BUT I like to support my franchise...if they've gotten their act straight. Can you shed some light for me? :)

I watch it on my Blu-Ray player and HD TV and the color looks fine.  The picture quality is better of course.  I did have my TV glitch up once and all the colors were so bright it hurt my eyes so I had to take the disc out and put it back in.

attachicon.gifdvdcover.JPG

So I just got the season one dvd today from amazon and I was wondering if anyone else had gotten it and what their thoughts were.

I thought it was a little lacking for a season one dvd. It has commentaries for only the first two episodes and I'm a little sad Lauren Faust wasn't part of it. Instead of learning about the initial creation of the show, we get the voice actor of spike...

Also I thought for a cultural phenomena, their could have been a making of feature documenting the behind the scenes.

The Audio Commentary is on a couple more episodes in the later discs.  Lauren Faust was no longer part of the show when this was being made.  They do look back on a lot of Lauren's ideas.  I personally thought it was a great audio commentary and the only ones I haven't watched yet are on the last disc.

• Brohoof 1

The Audio Commentary is on a couple more episodes in the later discs.  Lauren Faust was no longer part of the show when this was being made.  They do look back on a lot of Lauren's ideas.  I personally thought it was a great audio commentary and the only ones I haven't watched yet are on the last disc.

Ok thats for clearing up the commentary thing. I had only watched the first disk when I posted.

I hate how Amazon is the only place you can get it :( That is is Amazon Canada has it. 

I checked on ebay and thought like 50 dollars for season 1 was a little much. Then Again I have paid about that for other seasons of things.... Still is Amazon the only place to get the DVD's?

I think Amazon is the only place to get it right now. I havn't checked any other places though but I do think it was an Amazon exclusive. Season one is also on itunes and Netflix.

i bought my sister one one for christmas. first thing i noticed. i watched every episode online since i don't get the hub. the colors and quality of this DVD are 100X times brighter than 1080p on youtube. and it's not like my monitor is shit i have a alienware...so it was kinda of weird seeing such a huge difference on a actual tv with that disc.

Have you watched it through yet? Can you tell me how the quality of the video is? Is the color NORMAL? Which is to say, the color balance is the same as if you were to watch it on the hub channel, or on a high res MKV video file? The two DVDs Shout Factory released before, the color balance was WAY off, and it seemed as if the color was drained right out of it, regardless of what display I watched it on, whether it was my Asus gaming laptop, my 42 inch Sharp Aquos, or my 32 inch Sharp Aquos, or my parent's 32 inch LG. Also, the first DVD had serious audio sync issues in the Friendship is Magic Ep 1.

Were any of these issues present in this DVD or were they fixed? What aspect ratio is it in? Full screen or wide, as is the original HD presentation? I don't want to purchase this set if they can't even get basic presentation right. I was very disappointed with the shoddy quality of the initial dvd presentations. I mean, it's not like they're not given the master video and audio tracks, how HARD is it to just THROW them on a DVD and GO? Jesus, I can do that at home better than Shout Factory has done. And on a Bluray no less...Sheesh. *Smh*

BUT I like to support my franchise...if they've gotten their act straight. Can you shed some light for me? :)

Hey now! Don't badmouth Cathy Weseluck! She has been there from the beginning, too. As disappointing as it is that Lauren was not included, the cast and producers are typically very thoughtful about their roles on MLP. No need to bemoan them as being "less" of a bonus than Lauren Faust.

My experience thus far with the DVDs has been positive. Their inclusion in 1080 HD would have been icing on the cake, but the quality is certainly not shoddy (at least from what I've seen) in the manner of "The Friendship Express" collection. I can pop the discs in without any audio or visual problems.

Blu-ray would still be lovely, though.

I've just been looking all over the internet for the S1 DVD, and the only one I can find is an American copy, so it will only play on region 1 DVD players. Being from the UK and owning a region 2 DVD player, this quickly disappointed me :(

Anyone know where I can get a copy for the UK? 

I was joking about Spike  :) I just would have liked hearing from Lauren's perspective. Sucks the dvd isn't in region 2 though. Hopefully they release it over in the uk.

I hate how Amazon is the only place you can get it :( That is is Amazon Canada has it. 

I checked on ebay and thought like 50 dollars for season 1 was a little much. Then Again I have paid about that for other seasons of things.... Still is Amazon the only place to get the DVD's?

Amazon US ships to Canada, as well as many other countries. You aren't eligible for free shipping and have to pay in USD, but that's about it. I had no problems getting the Friendship Express DVD from Amazon US.

I've just been looking all over the internet for the S1 DVD, and the only one I can find is an American copy, so it will only play on region 1 DVD players. Being from the UK and owning a region 2 DVD player, this quickly disappointed me :(

With a tool like DVDShrink or AnyDVD, you should be able to read the disc in a computer and produce a version with the region data stripped out.

I'll be grabbing this first thing once my new debit card gets here. I wish they would have designed the packaging a bit better rather than recycle very old vectors, but that doesn't really matter much so long as the quality is good. Blu-Ray would have been my preference, but not much that can be done about that.

Just a few questions I would like cleared up. Is it 1080p and what format is the audio (stereo, 5.1, etc.)?

I'll be grabbing this first thing once my new debit card gets here. I wish they would have designed the packaging a bit better rather than recycle very old vectors, but that doesn't really matter much so long as the quality is good. Blu-Ray would have been my preference, but not much that can be done about that.

Just a few questions I would like cleared up. Is it 1080p and what format is the audio (stereo, 5.1, etc.)?

It's not 1080p unless it's bluray, mah dear :) I'm pretty sure it's standard Dolbly 5.1.

I'm still really hesitant about purchasing this myself. The "brightness" mentioned by others translates to me as the issue that the other Shout Factory releases had, where the colors were brightened to the point of being eye burning whitewashy-ness of DOOM. Not really sure if I want to take a gamble on it. Maybe if I take a wild hare I'll post screen caps of what I mean....If I can screen cap from VLC. Hum. I'll have to do research. *Twilight Mode ON*

It's not 1080p unless it's bluray, mah dear :) I'm pretty sure it's standard Dolbly 5.1.

I'm still really hesitant about purchasing this myself. The "brightness" mentioned by others translates to me as the issue that the other Shout Factory releases had, where the colors were brightened to the point of being eye burning whitewashy-ness of DOOM. Not really sure if I want to take a gamble on it. Maybe if I take a wild hare I'll post screen caps of what I mean....If I can screen cap from VLC. Hum. I'll have to do research. *Twilight Mode ON*

Oh yea... ugh I gotta start getting better sleep, these brain farts are becoming too common and it is annoying.

Anyways... I know I have taken screen grabs from VLC before, though I can't remember if the program itself has a way to do it or if I used Fraps. If no one else posts some from this I will grab some for you once I get mine.

Edited by Puddlejumper

I wish I could get this where I live. It wouldn't play on my region DVD player. :( Maybe they'll release it here one day. I really hope so.

I can't get it because I'm banned from Amazon (it's a long story, and I assure you, I did not deserve the ban) so it's sad to think I'll never get the disc. :'(

My experience thus far with the DVDs has been positive. Their inclusion in 1080 HD would have been icing on the cake, but the quality is certainly not shoddy (at least from what I've seen) in the manner of "The Friendship Express" collection. I can pop the discs in without any audio or visual problems.

Blu-ray would still be lovely, though.

Yikes, it seems that everyone has the same thoughts/questions! (Quality and availability.) I suppose I'll sum up what exists so far...

There are a few different DVD's available, all of which are in 480p, standard quality format:

The most popular option:

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Season 1 (26 episode season DVD)

All episodes from season 1 are included, alongside printable coloring sheets, an extended sing-along version of At the Gala, and audio commentaries on the episodes Friendship is Magic, Winter Wrap-Up, Suited for Success, The Show Stoppers, and The Best Night Ever.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: The Friendship Express, (5 episode disc)

It includes Friendship is Magic: Part 1, Friendship is Magic: Part 2, Over a Barrel, Hearth's Warming Eve, The Last Roundup, and a few extras (a Pound Puppies episode, the MLP:FiM theme song sing-along, 6 of 8 character profiles, and 3 commercials).

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Royal Pony Wedding  (5 episode disc)

A release by Shout Factory that includes A Canterlot Wedding: Part 1, A Canterlot Wedding: Part 2, Sweet and Elite, Hearts and Hooves Day, and The Best Night Ever. Extras include an extended Love is in Bloom sing-along, a The Perfect Stallion sing-along, and printable coloring sheets.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Adventures in the Crystal Empire (5 episode disc)

Includes The Crystal Empire: Part 1, The Crystal Empire: Part 2, It's About Time, Luna Eclipsed, and Sonic Rainboom. Extra features include a sing-along version of The Ballad of the Crystal Empire, and a coloring sheet.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Celebration at Canterlot (2 episode disc)

Released exclusively by Target, packaged with select toys from the franchise. (I can't confirm what 2 episodes it included, but I assume it's the Royal Wedding season openers.)

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Lesson Zero (mini DVD, 1 episode)

It was a single episode (Lesson Zero) that came bundled with select Pony Wedding toys.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Ticket Master (mini DVD, 1 episode)

As with the above disc, the single episode was released alongside some of the earlier brushables.

Streaming releases:

Netflix has the first 2 seasons up for grabs apparently in "high quality" (I'm unsure whether it's 720p or 1080p HD.) It requires a paid subscription to view. Additionally, viewers don't get permanent files to view later - you simply stream it to your computer/TV temporarily.

Online purchase:

All episodes are available on Itunes, ranging from 480p (standard quality), up to 720 and 1080p (HD). Unfortunately, the prices are insanely high - you could pay $70 for a single season.

Other...um...formats...

Hasbro has an unfortunate enemy: torrents.

DVD's are low quality, Itunes is insanely expensive, and while I am NOT advocating for pirating, it is the widely used choice, for very practical reasons: perfect HD 1080p quality (in nice, compressed formats), high speed download times, and no messy transactions to work with - just plug and play.

Other than the above options, there is no other way to watch the show without seeing it in person on the morning it airs. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is I suppose.

As for WHY "Shout! Factory" chooses not to release full boxed DVD sets:

"Guys, I understand the "Brony" movement, but one thing has to remain clear.  This show was not intended for the older audience as much as it was intended for children.  Retailers don't take into account the size of the audience bigger than its target.  The target for this series, like it or not, is children.  And young children's DVDs do not sell well when in large disc-count sets.  Parents don't want to shell out $30-$40 for four discs, when they can spend less on a single disc. So the retailers make it clear that they want single disc sets.

We can create both, if the retailers agree to take both.  But we cannot spend the necessary money to create complete season sets, if they're only going to sell online or at Shout! Factory Select, because retailers rejected them." - Unnamed DVD producer from Shout! Factory (found on EQD) 

There you have it. Shout! Factory understands us, but they're stuck until retailers make it worth their while to design such discs.

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

*snip*

You forgot the mini DVD "The Ticket Master" episode that was included with some brushable ponies, Wedding Series as well I think.

The Netflix stuff is 1080p I think. Don't hold me to that, but when I watched them on my 1080 monitor they were crystal clear and were very crisp.

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 1

You forgot the mini DVD "The Ticket Master" episode that was included with some brushable ponies, Wedding Series as well I think.

Added. Wedding series was already there. ;)

"My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Celebration at Canterlot (2 episode disc)

Released exclusively by Target, packaged with select toys from the franchise. (I can't confirm what 2 episodes it included, but I assume it's the Royal Wedding season openers.)"

I assume this is it?

Added. Wedding series was already there. ;)

"My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Celebration at Canterlot (2 episode disc)

Released exclusively by Target, packaged with select toys from the franchise. (I can't confirm what 2 episodes it included, but I assume it's the Royal Wedding season openers.)"

I assume this is it?

I meant wedding series for the toys, but now your list looks good AFAIK. :)

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I've seen that the box set is finally coming to the UK :) Amazon cites the release as the 3rd of November :)