Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Nostalgic Shows?

AegisReflector

Watching Toonami yesterday on [as] really made me remember about how I would sit my lazy ass down every NIGHT to watch whatever shows the old Toonami block cooked up, then I started to think about old CN, and how much the channel has changed.

What are some shows that you watched religiously as a kid? I was always Cartoon Network kid. I never watched a minute of Nickelodeon until I got a tad older and discovered Spongebob.

Plus, I just found out that PPG was once on Toonami. I vaguely recollect it, but I would much rather have them on Toonami than fucking 300+ episodes of Bleach.

• Brohoof 1

I miss a lot of the old shows, like catdog, Ed edd and eddy, The good spongebob, Tom and Jerry, Teen Titans, The old Ben Ten, and countless other shows. Kids these days don't know what they're missing.

• Brohoof 5

Ah the good ol' days, watching Nick, Cartoon Network and Jetix, back when all three were good. Old Spongebob, Oban, Ben 10, Grim Adventures, Courage, man those were the days.

But now you have all these Soccer moms today saying 'OMG THAT THING WITH STRANGE EYES WILL RUIN MY CHILD'S LIFE FOREVER PUNISH IT WITH LAWS!' And now we don't have the good ol' cartoon violence and humor that will possibly never be made again...

• Brohoof 6

We have more of like "social" or "mental" humor nowadays then we do slapstick comedy. Think about it. Shows like Adventure Time or things on [as] like Aqua Teen or The Eric Andre Show are just conversationalist or stupid humor that usually rely on pop culture references to make their show with the "norm" of the rest of the garbage that's being produced today (not saying that Adventure Time is a bad show, it's one of my favorites, but it does suffer that same symptom)

Plus, back then, channels like CN used to have so much energy and vibe that it kept you thirsty for more. Compare these vids:

Old CN "Powerhouse Era" (1997-2003)

https://www.youtube....h?v=vJBKUxEKah4

New CN Bumpers

Everything looks bland and boring. Certaintly nothing to get too excited about.

Edited by AegisReflector
  • Brohoof 1

Recently got back into Kids Next Door last Saturday. Was able to watch a handful of episodes, including the final one that wraps everything up. I really missed that show, and loved it's voice actors.

That, along with Ed Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, hell, the entire Powerhouse Era.

Recently got back into Kids Next Door last Saturday. Was able to watch a handful of episodes, including the final one that wraps everything up. I really missed that show, and loved it's voice actors.

That, along with Ed Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, hell, the entire Powerhouse Era.

The Powerhouse Era along with the first few months of the CN City Era were really CN's quality point. I just hate how they got rid of so much material in place of crappy Canadian cartoons and half-assed cartoons that probably won't make it another season (Looking at you, MAD!). I mean, you had weekly Toonami, The Chuck Jones Show, Spielberg Hour, Bugs and Daffy Hour, CARTOON CARTOON FRIDAYS, Cartoon Theatre, etc., all wicked creative blocks. Now, all gone. Sad, really.

Also, I was never a fan of Codename Kids Next Door (looked kind of stupid, even when I was young), but I did watch the series finale movie, and holy shit, was it good. The animation and writing was really good, and it was actually serious instead of being puns on "oh look they are little kids and they take things too far with adults".

I just hate how they got rid of so much material in place of crappy Canadian cartoons and half-assed cartoons that probably won't make it another season (Looking at you, MAD!).

It's kinda funny how Ed Edd n Eddy was Canadian, though technically aired in the US first, it's creator and production studio were Canadian.

And to be specific, Powerhouse for me was the main lineup of then-new cartoons, I suppose just so I could be specific. I didn't watch a bunch of the older cartoons they had.

Edited by DeltaTangent

It's kinda funny how Ed Edd n Eddy was Canadian, though technically aired in the US first, it's creator and production studio were Canadian.

Yeah, but those cartoons are syndicated and not produced by the studios.

At least Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy got an official seal of approval before becoming one of the best cartoons ever.

• Brohoof 2

I remember Samurai Jack the most. It injects a fluid of pure nostalgic energy into my veins every time I see it referenced. ... Needless to say, I haven't exactly avoided it for long amounts of time -- I still watch it in its full, unfinished glory! CURSE YOU, AKU!

post-2915-0-72532800-1347334588_thumb.jpg

Hey Arnold was a show i used to watch with my father when i was really young. My sister had a child recently and he had a verticle football head. I feel bad for laughing, but it's just so funny :lol:

It would probably take pages of posts to list all the cartoons I'm nostalgic about -- I LOVED cartoons as a kid, and still love them if I can get into them. There are a handful of shows I never cared for, but take any cartoon made between the 1940's and early 2000's, and you'll find many that I love.

Oh god, there are so many shows I used to watch when I was younger (probably like 10 years younger, at least)...

Filmore, Recess, Power Puff Girls, Codename: Kids Next Door, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Teen Titans, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Kim Possible, Ed, Edd and Eddy... probably about a billion more.

Ugh so many feels. <3

No idea what my favourite one was though...

Edited by Dxthegod

I remember watching Recess hoping for the day I would enter the 4th grade and see them sitting in my classroom.

I still remember drawing my own Imaginary friends hoping they would come to life (fosters home)

Billy and Mandy is one of my favorites are today..

I STILL watch the old Teen Titans up to this day. I feel bad for this gen they missed OUT

I have been craving nostalgic shows lately lol Miss them so much....

Mainly Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, The Wild Thornberrys, Cow & Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexters Lab, Ed, Edd & Eddy, Angry Beavers, Samurai Jack and The Powerpuff Girls haha :P

• Brohoof 1

When I think back to the hours I spent in front of the TV as a kid, the first two shows that come to mind are Highlander and Star Trek. And when I say Star Trek I mean both TOS and TNG. If we're just talking about cartoons, then the first one's I think of are Thundercats and He-Man. Strangely (I think it's strange, at least), I can vividly recall Sailor Moon during its original run, before it hit Toonami. Of course, I remember watching it there too. That's not the kind of anime you would expect most guys to watch, especially one who is into more "manly" things like Thundercats and Highlander, but somehow it walked a very fine line of being overtly girlish but managing to appeal to some male sensibilities. These are all things I started watching from my earliest memories of life.

My favorite shows from a few years later, sometime around the age of 7 and up, were Animaniacs, The Tick, and Freakazoid. Being the only nerdy kid in town and being an only child, I watched a lot of movies and TV, so I understood most of the jokes and pop-culture references they made whereas it seemed most other kids my age thought the show was stupid because they couldn't figure out what was being parodied. Come to think of it, they probably didn't even know what a parody was.

Ed Edd n' Eddy will always be my most nostalgic show from my childhood. Followed by Dexter's Lab. In fact most of the old Cartoon Cartoon shows I still watch from time to time.

And on a side note, I have recently started watching Kim Possible again. Good times.

• Brohoof 1

My reaction when I figured out Ed Edd n Eddy was cancelled. "FFFFFFUUUUUUUU!"

I just couldn't watch television anymore.

I WAS IN LOVE WITH THAT SHOW!

I would just sit there and watch PPG and Ed Edd n Eddy for HOURS just dying laughing.

There were so many different shows I used watch as a kid. This makes me think of all the good ones. Like SWAT KATS, 2 stupid dogs, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Invader Zim, Johnny Bravo, Dexters Lab, and all the other odd ball shows. Good times, Good times.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

Super teen extraordinaire, Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

Runs around in underwear, Frakazoid! Freakazoid!

Rescues Washington D.C! Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

Unless something better's on T.V., Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

His brain is over-loaded, it has a chocolate coating.

Textbook case for Sigmund Frued. Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

Check out Dexter Douglas, Nerd computer ace. While surfing on the Internet he got zapped in cyber-space.

He turns into the Freakazoid! He's strong and super quick. He drives the villains crazy, cause he's a lunatic!

His home base is the Freakalair. Freakazoid! Fracassee!

Floyd the barber cuts his hair. Freakazoid! chimpanzee!

Rides around in the Freakmobile! Freakazoid! Freakazoo! (free kazoo)

Hopes to make a movie deal, Freaka-me, Freaka-you!

He's here to save the nation, so stayed tuned to this station.

If not, then we'll be unemployed. Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

FREAKAZOID!!!

That sums up my favorite cartoon from my childhood...