Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is best friends with whom?

Arcus (Silver Lining) Wind

I would say Rarity and Fluttershy are best friends (watch the episode Green isn't Your Color)

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy also seem to be close friends because they are both pegasi.

Twilight doesn't seem to be best friends with anyone; I think Twilight likes all her friends equally.

I'm not sure about Applejack and Pinkie.

Edited by Champion RD92

Best friends? I always thought the ponies thought of each other as equals O.O

The are all equals as friends, it's just that  a best friend is someone whom you have a 'closer' relationship with due to experiences  time knowing each other etc.Posted Image

Anyway I would say

Fluttershy-Rarity

AJ-RD

Pinkie Pie-?, hell, she's friend with everyone. Posted Image

Twilight-?

From Green Isn't Your Colour (like everypony already said) Fluttershy and Rarity have a weekly get together so obviously there is close friendship there. I also think Rarity and Pinkie hang out sometimes by themselves, as seen in Putting Your Hoof down. They weren't just together briefly for one part, they were together the whole episode.

Pinkie also seems quite close to Rainbow Dash, which started out in Gryffon the Brush Off when they started pranking, and later in Too Many Pinkies when they hung out a lot by the lake. Rainbow Dash is evidently close friends with Fluttershy, as not only did they know each other before the series commenced, but they have lots of little moments where they are doing things amongst themselves.

Applejack spends most of her time with her family, and although she is obviously great friends with the others I don't think she has a special connection with a singular pony except Applebloom and Big Mac. Twilight is best friends with Spike. I don't class him as her pet, he is her assistant and they have lived together for several years.

I think the mane six are all "best friends" with each other, and the examples I have listed are just examples of the friendship based on what we see in the series. They all love each other very much, otherwise I doubt the elements would have worked for them. Posted Image 

Twilight and Pinkie Pie seem to be close friends. In some of the episodes Pinkie Pie talks to Twilight about a problem she is having and likes to get her opinion on things before doing anything. Pinkie may also want to show Twilight more of her friendship.

I feel like Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were friends, but lost touch with each other when Fluttershy left the school. If anything Fluttershy and Rarity are close friends now.

Finally Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash seem to get a long well because they like to challenge each other.

Fluttershy literally dropped out of flight school... the hard way. I guess that's better than what happened to Rainbow Dash, I think she had been expelled.

• 2 years later...

I believe this will answer your question:

Fluttershy-Rarity

Rainbow Dash-Applejack

Pinkie Pie-Everyone

Twilight-Everyone

Episodes:

FluttershyRarity=Green Isn't Your Color, Tanks For The Memories ( Rarity said, " I can't bear to see Fluttershy Cry :sobs: ") Maybe there is more.

RainbowDashApplejack=Idk.

PinkiePie=Idk.

Twilight=Idk.

I hope you agree.  :rarity:  :fluttershy:    :D   :squee:  I love Rarity And Fluttershy XD

• Brohoof 1

As so many have said Fluttershy/Rarity.  Dash is a long time friend with Fluttershy, but they are not as close as they used to be.  AJ & Dash are both friends & rivals.

I see AJ as being like Bob on the old Bob Newhart show -the only sane person in a room full of loonys

Twilight-Fluttershy

Rarity-Applejack

Rainbow-Pinkie

But Pinkie likes everyone including Applejack and Rarity has a close bond with Fluttershy and Rainbow does a friendly competitive relationship with Applejack. 

I think the better question is which of the mane 6 gets along the least with the other. 

Im just gonna say straight off the bat anyone saying Applejack and Rainbow is really wrong, you might think they'd be the most LOGICAL best friends or something like that because athletic tomboys but on the show it just does not pan out that way,  they hardly ever interact and when they do it's basically always just "LETS COMPETE". They are in fact among the characters with the LEAST onscreen interaction. Like I can't think of a single episode this season where they had any significant dialog and other than CastleMania that was true last season too. So yeah this is a dynamic  that is almost never used and when it is there's been no change since season 1 basically.

I can see a stronger case for Rarity and Fluttershy, their dynamic exist a lot more past season 1 so they get a lot more together but no if you pay any attention at all the answer to this question is very obvious. 

Applejack is closest to Rarity, despite their fights they spend a ton of time together, know each other very well and have lots of trust in the other. In the last episode Rarity even basically served as the friend AJ goes to with doubts and stuff to get a second opinion.

Rainbow is closest to Fluttershy, it's a similar situation expect instead of so much fighting it's more Dash being abrasive and not respecting Fluttershy's limits enough. Fluttershy is also as you can see in Tanks for the Memories pretty much the only who KNOWS Dash enough to get through to her when she's being extra dumb.

Seriously this is easy stuff, go rewatch the series you'll find, post S1 especially that these two dynamics get way more episodes focused on them AND time and scenes in other episodes focused on them than any others by far. I feel a lot of people are basically stuck in season 1 when it comes to questions like this.

This is very deliberate it's an important message about how someone who you might appear to not have much in common with at first might just be the person you in reality click the most with. And it allows for more oppertunities for conflict with is important for lessons.

Twilight and Pinkie are just close to everyone basically.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

I think Rarity and Fluttershy since Rarity seems to be the best at dealing with Fluttershy's issues. (I liked in Filli Vanilli how she pushed her and at the end she pointed out that even though her "worst fears came true, so what?) She has a very firm but tactful way about her and Fluttershy has demonstrated (at least in one episode) that she has an interest in fashion and sewing.

I would have said Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash awhile ago, but really I think Pinkie seems to like Rainbow more than Rainbow likes Pinkie (though she still loves her of course and they have the whole pranking thing in common....But ever since the episodes about the Apples and the Pies possibily being related I really see more connection between AJ and Pinkie.

That leaves Twilight and and Rainbow Dash and at a glance they may not seem to be the closest but Twilight has helped Rainbow Dash pass her test on the history of the Wonderbolts, she got her in to reading, now that Twilight has wings they can fly together. They seem to be good together, balancing each other's weaknesses out. Where RD is all action Twilight is a planner and it seems like they'd strike a good balance when working together.

Applejack: Possibly Twilight. She doesn't seem to be particularly close to any of them, as her episodes usually consist of rivalry with Rainbow Dash/Rarity, or chores/family business. But she seems to get the least annoyed by Twilight and shows the most gentleness and understanding towards her. Second would be Rainbow, as a friendly rival, but I believe her closest friends are her family.

Fluttershy: I think her best friend would be Rarity, as they both share an appreciation for beauty and a knowledge of sewing, and it is said to be the case in "Green Isn't Your Color." Her second would probably be Rainbow, as they were childhood friends, but they aren't as close due to their drastically differing interests.

Pinkie Pie: She seems to hang out most with and have the most in common with Rainbow.

Rainbow Dash: Pinkie Pie or all.

Rarity: Fluttershy, Twilight second.

Twilight Sparkle: Seems to get along best with Applejack or Rarity, but has also shown significant care for Rainbow. I dunno.

People in this thread place way too much value on "similar interest" that makes it easier to be friends but it is not going to be the determining factor in who is your closest friend. There's a lot more in what makes people gel together than that. You have to look at actual character dynamics.

Like people are trying to argue here and Fluttershy and Rarity are closer than Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash here and the only reason for it seems to be "they are feminine and Fluttershy I guess kind sorta likes to sew too". None of that translates into them hanging out remotely Dash and Flutters do together in the end, nor do they get sweet and simple stuff like Dash visiting Fluttershy's cottage to make sure she's awake for Cider despite that throwing her into the back of the line and small stuff that indicates real closeness like that.

And someone above me mentioned Twilight and Rarity? I can pretty much count significant interactions there on one hand.

And sine I can, to go back to Rainbow and Applejack the problem there is that, yeah they have a friendly rivalry that is true. The issue is that is as far as we know pretty much the entire extent of their dynamic. I am hardly exaggerating here, we see them interact so little outside of that context (which we don't even see much itself) that there's really not much else that can be said about their relationship. It's one of the most underdeveloped Mane 6 dynamics along with things like Rarity and Rainbow.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

I believe this will answer your question:

Fluttershy-Rarity

Rainbow Dash-Applejack

Pinkie Pie-Everyone

Twilight-Everyone

I was watching this videos from Hasbro Studios and i was like: woah.....

the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE90OPCBoQM

so the first pictures were: rd+pinkiepie, twilight+aj, rarity+fluttershy

does that mean hasbro studios answered ur question?! :o plz dont report.........

Over the years things have changed.

Fluttershy is Pinkie Pie's special project.  Pinkie Pie is now a sister in mind of Applejacks and they have accepted her into the family despite how thin the blood relation actually is.  Pinkie Pie does spend time with the other ponies and was sent off with Dash to Griffonstone, but that tie isn't quite as strong as it was in season 1.

Rainbow Dash is an odd bird here.  She was more with Shy, AJ, and Pinkie early on, but she has been a bit more on her own.  They have also nerfed her int a bit over time.  If anything she is looking to Twilight the most recently with their shared love of Daring Do, and mutual flight, among other things, but she has been more chillin with the other ponies of the 6 rather than having any active special relationship.

AJ has let Pinkie into the family and family is everything.  She has also started interacting a lot more with Rarity.  They may have been the weakest link in the friendship grouping in season 1 but they have each others' respect now.

Rarity has been interacting more with the group.  She was the most insular of the ponyville ponies early on, but now she interacts often with all of the ponies but Pinkie Pie really.  As strange as it seems she is interacting as much with RD and AJ as she is with Fluttershy and Twilight and all 4 ties are strong.

Twilight is spread pretty thin right now.

• 5 months later...

Ok so lots of people seem to think that Rarity and Fluttershy are best friends because of Green Isn't Your Color, and I agree, they do seem to have a close relationship. But I think Rarity and Pinkie Pie's friendship is a bit stronger. I mean, think about it. How many times have you seen Rarity and Pinkie standing together in an episode? That isn't the only thing. Pinkie Pie said "Rarity catch me" as she jumped of the wagon in The Last Roundup, which shows that she trusts Rarity more than everyone else. Also, they were seen standing up for each other in Putting Your Hoof Down, and they were together throughout the whole episode. And more recently, in The Gift of Maud Pie, they formed a special tradition together! If that's not a close friendship, I don't know what is! And it's not just in Equestria! In one of the Mini Clips for Rainbow Rocks, there was a song called Perfect Day for Fun, and Rarity and Pinkie were shown at the carnival together. 

Just a thought, but what do you guys think is the reason that they seem so close?

I personally think Pinkie and Rainbow are best friends, but they all seem to be best friends too.

Of course Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are childhood friends, so they know each other longer than the rest.

I think Rainbow and Applejack are best friends. All their conversations or episodes seem to show how well they get along :)

Also, Fluttershy and Rarity. Everyone has pointed out their spa trips which points to them being pretty close!

• 7 months later...

I think,

Pinkie Pie          = Friend to All.

Twilight Sparkle = Friend to All. (or none)

Fluttershy          = Rainbow Dash or Rarity.

Rainbow Dash   = Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy

Rarity                = Fluttershy or Twilight Sparkle

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I don't think at this point after 8 seasons all the other stuff anyone can really doubt these two

Applejack-Rarity

Fluttershy-Rainbow Dash

Twilight and Pinkie seem to just see all the rest as their best friends equally, though certain characters tolerance for Pinkie's pinkieness varies. They all have a ton of request for Twilight obviously.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

It’s relatively difficult to tell at this point. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have a clear histor. Rarity and Applejack interact quite frequently. Aside from that, all of the inter-mane six friendships tend to be depicted in similar terms, and I find even those which receive extra attention within the show don’t appear to have a significantly more comfortable relationship to me, specific instances aside.

Increasingly, I get the sense that each of the mane six has different things with which they connect to each of their friends. Rainbow Dash for instance, has her history with Fluttershy,her shared fondness for sports with Applejack, her love of adventure stories for Twilight, her high ambitions for Rarity, and her enjoyment of general silliness for Pinkie. As the show increasingly strives to vary its character pairings, specific ones start to stand out less.

But yes, RD/Fluttershy and Rarity/Applejack do seem like particularly common match ups.